5 quarts of Mobile 1 or Royal Purple for $29.88

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
For the rest of this month, you can get five quarts of Royal Purple synthetic motor oil (or Mobil 1 synthetic)and a Mobil 1 oil filter for $29.88 at Advance Auto Parts. Royal Purple retails for $7.98 a quart at Advance Auto Parts and i believe the filter is around $9. This is a pretty good savings for Royal Purple. the savings is only so-so for Mobil 1 sythetic, as you can get 5 quarts for close to this price at costco, pep boys, and Wal-Mart.

I work at Advance - the sale is supposed to be for just 5qts Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter but because of a supply shortage of Mobil 1 they extended the deal to any brand synthetic oil. So it won't be advertised, but the computer will automatically do the deal.

Quaker state, valvoline, castrol, Mobil 1, and Royal Purple I believe are all the full synthetics we carry.

Ripped this from CGP. Figured someone might want to jump on it.

Slider

Regular
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
I "heard" that when you get M1, make sure its the german stuff. Apparently that is the best M1. Once again, not sure if it is true or not.

You may be thinking of Castrol 0w-30. It will say European formula on it. It's a thick 30 weight and the M1 0w-40 is a light 40 weight, the M1 actually shears down to a 30 weight after you put some miles on it. Both are great oils, I'm putting either one in the Miata.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
if the high mileage car has issues like leaks and blow-by their would be a issue, but if that same high mile motor is in good shape then no issues.

Actually switching from Dino oil to Synthetic oil makes absolutely no difference and causes zero problems. The only time you run into an issue, which was kind of mentioned earlier, is that since Dino oil generally has greater viscosity and different properties than synthetic oil, an engine with any leaks or greater tolerances will be more likely to leak with a synthetic. The synthetic oil itself does not damage anything.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
i was waiting for an oil thread.......... here it goes:

anybody who is afraid to switch back and forth between syn and regular oil is an idiot. there is absolutely no difference between the viscosity of the regular oil and the synthetic so they will both do exactly the same job. in fact, synthetic oil is indeed "dino" oil, not something man made like most people think. it is just chemically altered to have consistent sized molecule strings, hence why if you put it in a shit box, it may leak a little more than normal... it isnt because it is thinner- it is because there was always a leak there and the molecule sizes of the synthetic fit through better than the conventional. why make the molecules evenly sized? it is for a more linear response between viscosity and temperature, meaning they can use different viscosity modifiers that would not be practical in an oil that has many different sized molecule chains. why would this help? the viscosity modifiers they use will make the oil stand up better to higher temperatures yet keep low temperature operation in line with its viscosity rating (cliffs, it can get hotter and still perform fine).

i dont know where people got these myths about oil like "M1 0w-40 shears down to a 30 weight" :rofl: believe me, wherever you got that information from, they either dont know what the hell they are talking about, or there is something else going on with the engine that they are not measuring.

my personal favorite oil myth is the 3000 mile oil change... HAHAHAHAHA what the hell is this? 1972? alot of people here drive GM's so they know about the oil life monitoring system but for some reason think it is some kind of set mileage... it isnt! it counts total RPMS since last reset, and oil temp and does a calculation to determine a projected oil life. some people could net over 10K miles in a GM while some people could only get 2500... it all depends on how you drive, if you warm up the vehicle.... etc...etc... its really sad that i have to explain to people that you do not need to change your oil every 3000 miles and if you do, you may actually be doing more harm than good because figure a motor with 100K on it being done every 3000 miles compared to a motor with 100K that has the oil changed on average every 6000 miles. the first engine will have had 33 oil changes and the second one will have had 16 oil changes... not only will the owner of the second car saved ~$500, they also eliminated starting the motor 17 times with no oil pressure for a few seconds... that may not seem too bad individually, but imagine the amount of damage you could do starting your car with no oil for lets say 51 seconds (17sec * 3 seconds)? yea, that would be terrible! i wouldnt want to run my car for nearly a minute without oil, yet people continue to freak out if they go one mile over 3000. i used to literally be asked every day "how bad did it look?" or "im a little over, is that ok?" and those people were @ about 3200-3400 miles since their last change.... GRRRRRRRR!!!!!! how can people be so stupid? i mean a car is likely the 2nd most expensive thing you own but most people dont have a clue as to what the hell is going on with it... you use it everyday and you spend thousands upon thousands of dollars maintaining it and purchasing it and refueling it, yet you cant even open the owners manual and read the information that is clearly written there? that would be like buying a house and not ever finding out what the address is or not knowing what that one switch in the dining room does... it is irresponsible and unforgivable.

/rant

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
i was waiting for an oil thread.......... here it goes:

anybody who is afraid to switch back and forth between syn and regular oil is an idiot. there is absolutely no difference between the viscosity of the regular oil and the synthetic so they will both do exactly the same job. in fact, synthetic oil is indeed "dino" oil, not something man made like most people think. it is just chemically altered to have consistent sized molecule strings, hence why if you put it in a shit box, it may leak a little more than normal... it isnt because it is thinner- it is because there was always a leak there and the molecule sizes of the synthetic fit through better than the conventional. why make the molecules evenly sized? it is for a more linear response between viscosity and temperature, meaning they can use different viscosity modifiers that would not be practical in an oil that has many different sized molecule chains. why would this help? the viscosity modifiers they use will make the oil stand up better to higher temperatures yet keep low temperature operation in line with its viscosity rating (cliffs, it can get hotter and still perform fine).

i dont know where people got these myths about oil like "M1 0w-40 shears down to a 30 weight" :rofl: believe me, wherever you got that information from, they either dont know what the hell they are talking about, or there is something else going on with the engine that they are not measuring.

my personal favorite oil myth is the 3000 mile oil change... HAHAHAHAHA what the hell is this? 1972? alot of people here drive GM's so they know about the oil life monitoring system but for some reason think it is some kind of set mileage... it isnt! it counts total RPMS since last reset, and oil temp and does a calculation to determine a projected oil life. some people could net over 10K miles in a GM while some people could only get 2500... it all depends on how you drive, if you warm up the vehicle.... etc...etc... its really sad that i have to explain to people that you do not need to change your oil every 3000 miles and if you do, you may actually be doing more harm than good because figure a motor with 100K on it being done every 3000 miles compared to a motor with 100K that has the oil changed on average every 6000 miles. the first engine will have had 33 oil changes and the second one will have had 16 oil changes... not only will the owner of the second car saved ~$500, they also eliminated starting the motor 17 times with no oil pressure for a few seconds... that may not seem too bad individually, but imagine the amount of damage you could do starting your car with no oil for lets say 51 seconds (17sec * 3 seconds)? yea, that would be terrible! i wouldnt want to run my car for nearly a minute without oil, yet people continue to freak out if they go one mile over 3000. i used to literally be asked every day "how bad did it look?" or "im a little over, is that ok?" and those people were @ about 3200-3400 miles since their last change.... GRRRRRRRR!!!!!! how can people be so stupid? i mean a car is likely the 2nd most expensive thing you own but most people dont have a clue as to what the hell is going on with it... you use it everyday and you spend thousands upon thousands of dollars maintaining it and purchasing it and refueling it, yet you cant even open the owners manual and read the information that is clearly written there? that would be like buying a house and not ever finding out what the address is or not knowing what that one switch in the dining room does... it is irresponsible and unforgivable.

/rant

Wow, lots of good info there. You mentioned the oil life monitor before.

As far as what the issue with synthetic about what I posted, it was all just hearsay and so I believed it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info