Cocked steering wheel after Subframe bushing replacement

Dirtracr95

Aug 15, 2007
Your SAI (steering angle inclination) is off because you didnt put the cradle back in right spot. it needs to be shifted to correct SAI. In the mean time watch out for Bump steer. Front Toe doesnt cause a pull FYI. If you have a crappy shop do it they will probably only adjust the tierod ends so that your steering wheel is straight. So ask them to make sure the SAI is correct. And always request a print out of before and after.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
SAI is steering axis inclination, has to do with the angle from the upper and lower mounts(or follows the strut in strut suspensions) that hold the tire, creating an invisible line that marks where in the tire's footprint the vehicle's weight sits.....I think you mixed up a term or two,

but if you turn both tie rods the exact same amount of adjustment, you can fix the steering wheel being out of center in a driveway, just make sure to do them the exact same amount and you car will still track straight, just your wheel will be at the correct spot

Dirtracr95

Aug 15, 2007
sorry i keep saying angle instead of axis. Incorrect SAI caused by a cradle that has shifted will cause the car to track straight and be fine with no pull but have the steering wheel off. The steering wheel moves because the steering rack is normally attached to the firewall and the Spindles are attached to the subframe. If the subframe is off the steering wheel will be off. Since it is probably Mac Pherson strut it is attached to a lower control arm connected to the subframe. If the subframe is off then so will the bottom of the struts. Your camber may still be within specs but your included angles will not because the SAI on each side wont be the same. Included angle is SAI + Camber. SAI will affect your tirescrub. With your SAI off you may notice bumpsteer and or memory steer. If the car suddenly pulls when going over a bump then there is a good chance your SAI is off. simply adjusting your tierods may make your steering wheel straight but wont get rid of any bump steer or memory steer

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
sorry i keep saying angle instead of axis. Incorrect SAI caused by a cradle that has shifted will cause the car to track straight and be fine with no pull but have the steering wheel off. The steering wheel moves because the steering rack is normally attached to the firewall and the Spindles are attached to the subframe. If the subframe is off the steering wheel will be off. Since it is probably Mac Pherson strut it is attached to a lower control arm connected to the subframe. If the subframe is off then so will the bottom of the struts. Your camber may still be within specs but your included angles will not because the SAI on each side wont be the same. Included angle is SAI + Camber. SAI will affect your tirescrub. With your SAI off you may notice bumpsteer and or memory steer. If the car suddenly pulls when going over a bump then there is a good chance your SAI is off. simply adjusting your tierods may make your steering wheel straight but wont get rid of any bump steer or memory steer

To my understanding:

Taurus Steering rack is attached DIRECTLY to the subframe, and the tie rod ends connect to the knuckle IIRC.

Maybe another SHO guy could correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn it was attached directly to the subframe, which would mean the SAI couldn't be off as it could not have shifted.

The car does have a bit of 'bump' steer, but I suspect an alignment will help remedy that as well as I found that one of the OLD subframe bushings had been installed upside down (I shit you not) so I have no idea how it was aligned previously...

Also, I can accelerate gently, and it will still track straight, I'd imagine if the SAI was off, any acceleration would pull it off course if I'm reading you right?

Dirtracr95

Aug 15, 2007
nope under acceleration it would still go straight. The bottom of the struts are still going to be out of position if the subframe is out of position. A good alignment place should be able to move your cradle back to where it is suppose to be and adjust everything else back to specs. Take it to a place with new equipment because alot of some even relatively new alignment racks wont be able to see if SAI is off.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
nope under acceleration it would still go straight. The bottom of the struts are still going to be out of position if the subframe is out of position. A good alignment place should be able to move your cradle back to where it is suppose to be and adjust everything else back to specs. Take it to a place with new equipment because alot of some even relatively new alignment racks wont be able to see if SAI is off.

define good alignment place... only place out here is Farm and Fleet, and I doubt they have the equipment to shift the cradle...

I'd imagine I should tell them "You are going to need to shift the cradle"?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info