O2 sensor or possibly bad gas?

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
As most of you know, my car has been sitting since October with a broken trans. That is the last time I put gas in it that I remember. I also replaced the left O2 sensor around that time, due to a misfire/SES. Car drove fine after that.

The trans is now repaired and while driving home from the shop I noticed it has a misfire and the SES came back on. There was about 1/4 tank of fuel, and I thought maybe it was bad, so I stopped and put $20 of Shell Premium in (approx. 7 gallons). Still misfiring. Checked the SES and it's the left O2 sensor again - "DTC 44, left O2 sensor lean condition". I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Ok, so here's the deal. I was doing some thinking yesterday and it occurred to me that besides the misdirected, the new trans was shifting extremely hard. So I checked the line for the vacuum modulator for the trans, and it was disconnected, causing a huge vacuum leak. I plugged the leak with a bolt and took the car.back to Hans. There was still a minor misire, so I datalogged the drive there and found that the oxygen sensor on the left side (the new one) was lazy, so it went bad already. I found an awesome deal on a new one on Amazon.com so it should be here next week.

Anyway, Hans found that the vacuum line had slipped off and the end was a little loose so he made me up a new line and threw it on.

I can't wait to get this thing running right so I can see how it runs with the new converter.

Big thanks to Hans for helping me out on short notice. :)

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
You should still blame the optispark, as an LT1 owner that is your responsibility. Everything wrong with the car is the optispark.

Actually I've never had any problems with optis. I replaced the original stock one somewhere around 200k as preventative maintenance when I was installing the headers and electric water pump. Never had as much as a hiccup. I put another GM one on, for about 30k. When I put the new engine in, I had to upgrade to the newer vented style opti because of the cam. I didn't want to spend a fortune on a new one, but I just happened to have a filthy, nasty looking one that I got in a crate of parts from a kid I bought an engine from. Cleaned it up the best I could and threw it on. It worked fine and is still on the car 3 years later now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Aron
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list