GM Passkey / remote starter

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
It's a long shot that anybody here would know, but I guess you never know...

I have a 97 Blazer for a DD, and I went to Best Buy to buy a remote starter a couple weeks ago. They said they had to charge me an extra $160 on top of the cost of the kit to install the anti-theft bypass module. This sounds prety excessive to me. After researching, I believe it has the PasskeyIII anti-theft system. Thoughts?

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
It's a long shot that anybody here would know, but I guess you never know...

I have a 97 Blazer for a DD, and I went to Best Buy to buy a remote starter a couple weeks ago. They said they had to charge me an extra $160 on top of the cost of the kit to install the anti-theft bypass module. This sounds prety excessive to me. After researching, I believe it has the PasskeyIII anti-theft system. Thoughts?

Yes you do need it Aron I was thinking of having one installed in the SS and you need a module but it's only like $70. I can get it for you if needed for my cost of $70. I will ask my installer what he would charge you for a remote starter installed?

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Yes you do need it Aron I was thinking of having one installed in the SS and you need a module but it's only like $70. I can get it for you if needed for my cost of $70. I will ask my installer what he would charge you for a remote starter installed?

I knew I needed it, but I couldn't believe they wanted to charge me $160 to install it, on top of the kit itself! That's cool John, let me know what he says. I think the one for your SS is different though. Different anti-theft systems if I remember correctly.

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
You can bypass your factory anti-security system for about $2 bucks, all you need is a resistor from radio shack, just cut and loop 2 wires, if you want the info i can let you know.

That is true for the VATS system, such as what's on my Camaro. You just have to measure the resistance of the chip built into the key, and buy a resistor of the same resistance. But my Blazer doesnt have a chip built into it, as it's the updated anti-theft system, so if what I've read online is correct, that won't work for my Blazer.

serb82

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yes it also works on the passkey 2 type systems, The chip(resistor) is built into the ignition switch. All you do is find the 2 wires that you need. The passkey ground wire(orange with black stripe/ or black) and passkey resistance wire(yellow). This is how you bypass it for free!!!

Step 1: Find the passkey wires and main starter wire to ignition switch
Step 2 :Stripe the passkey ground wire ( usually black)
Step 3: Start the car/truck/suv, then cut the ignition statrer wire
( usually yellow)
Step 4 Cut the yellow passkey wire in half and stripe both ends
Step 5: Grab a meter put into OHMS, Put 1 probe on passkey ground
and other end on passkey resistance going into the ignition
switch, read the value on the meter
Step 6: Find the right resistor and Solder 1 end onto passkey ground, the other end goes to the passkey yellow wire going to BCM(away from key cylinder)

Step 7: Test and make sure it works, will last forever with your security light turning on ONLY when you start the car.

Yes it works on vats, and passkey systems too, I've been an installer for a few years (01-08) and thats how i made a lil bit of side money by not selling a bypass. Wires in just like your VATS system just no visible chip.

SVTLSC

Factory Freak
Oct 29, 2006
i believe its all through the bcm, id go for the extra money because if you have trouble you have someone to go back to, but i have had to remove probably about 20 remote start on the passkey and passlock systems because it causes you to intermitantly not start the car at times and it changes the powermode which wont let it start

serb82

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Once you meter it and get the right Ohms, you have nothing to worry about, the aftermarket bypass modules, dei,audiovox,prestige,fortin, etc...... sometimes do lose the resistance code, if done with a resistor you only have to worry about breaking off the lead. Ive been doing it this way since 01 and never ever had a problem with passlock or vats system, its 100 % fool proof.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info