I'm Out This Weekend - Tranny Out For The Count

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Last week I went to GLD and (long story short) ended up shattering my output shaft. I was hoping to get a replacement shaft installed this week and that I'd be good to go.

Unfortunately, when the shaft broke, it took out a "lube dam":hs:. To fix that little plastic bearing/washer requires the trans to be removed and taken apart. :roflpicard:

I went online to find out about a "lube dam" and found the following (btw - it was helpful to include the word "transmission" in the search criteria :noes::rofl:):

A planetary gear arrangement has one or more planetary gear sets each having a carrier assembly in which a plurality of pinion gears are rotatably mounted on pins supported in a carrier housing. An annular lube dam is attached to the carrier housing and includes a first and second annular sidewall portions extending radially inward and joined by an axial wall portion. The radially innermost sidewall portion directs lubrication fluid to the support pins for delivery to the pinion gears. The axial wall engages notched portions on the pins to ensure the angular orientation of the lube passages formed in the pins. The outermost annular wall portion provides a thrust washer bearing surface between the carrier assembly and an adjacent transmission component to support relative rotation therebetween.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
I would, but I have to drive out to Triple Edge and get the trans fixed. Once that's done, I have to bring it back to Chicago to get installed so I have I have the car back up for Monday.

how the fuck did you shatter an output shaft. I had heard those things are rated for like 1k from gm and the reason zzp stopped installing them in alot of built trans. I think they said the soft 7/8 chain and chain slap was what was causing them to break. Im not sure what chain you are running.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
how the fuck did you shatter an output shaft. I had heard those things are rated for like 1k from gm and the reason zzp stopped installing them in alot of built trans. I think they said the soft 7/8 chain and chain slap was what was causing them to break. Im not sure what chain you are running.

I'm perplexed as well. As for the chain, it's whatever chainset Trannyman uses.

I'll know more tomorrow.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
I'm perplexed as well. As for the chain, it's whatever chainset Trannyman uses.

I'll know more tomorrow.

So its a 4l60e 3.29 that has been modified to fit in the 4t65e. Im not sure if those are the soft or not. Seems like you are the only one with a problem with daves transmissions. Im sure he will help you out from all the good things I hear about him. I wish i would have went to him.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
So its a 4l60e 3.29 that has been modified to fit in the 4t65e. Im not sure if those are the soft or not. Seems like you are the only one with a problem with daves transmissions. Im sure he will help you out from all the good things I hear about him. I wish i would have went to him.

Just to clarify, there wasn't any problems with Dave's trans. It was the zzp output shaft that broke that caused problems.

Dave is being more than generous with helping get the trans fixed and back up and running. The damage to the trans was collateral damage caused by the shaft pieces tumbling around in the trans after it broke.

Crap happens...everyone is doing what they can to help out and that's all I can ask for at this point. :)

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
Just to clarify, there wasn't any problems with Dave's trans. It was the zzp output shaft that broke that caused problems.

Dave is being more than generous with helping get the trans fixed and back up and running. The damage to the trans was collateral damage caused by the shaft pieces tumbling around in the trans after it broke.

Crap happens...everyone is doing what they can to help out and that's all I can ask for at this point. :)

You broke a zzp output shaft. Even more weird. I wasnt blaming it on dave. I know he is a stand up guy. Which output shaft is it? The gundrilled or regular? And what made you decide to run an aftermarket output shaft?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info