Jeremy Clarkson Loves The ZR1, But Says It Began "To Disintegrate” After Three Days

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Jeremy Clarkson Loves The ZR1, But Says It Began "To Disintegrate” After Three Days

Jeremy_Clarkson_Corvette_ZR1.jpg

Writing in his weekly column in the ever-so-slightly left-of-center Sunday Times, Jeremy Clarkson expressed his love for the 2009 Corvette ZR1 before claiming “after three days the damn thing was beginning to disintegrate.” He may have just been "doing it wrong." Of course, this being Clarkson, the rest of the column was about the Chrysler Sebring, the War of Independence and his own insecurities that arise from him being a balding, fat idiot from a backwater nation who’s made a career on the tenuous appeal of his jackassery, so we don’t know if he was talking about the overall build quality (which we found to be peerless) or the interior (which we agree is unfittingly cheap for a $103,300 car).

I spent most of my time in America this time in a new Corvette ZR1. It is a fabulous car. Mesmerisingly fast, good looking and amazing value. But after three days the damn thing was beginning to disintegrate. It made me growl with annoyance and despair.

The thing about the ZR1 is that it’s not just mesmerizingly fast, good-looking and an amazing value (at least here. In England it costs $200k), it’s built extremely well too. The aluminum chassis is as basic and as strong as it gets, every piece of running gear is of the highest specification available and the carbon fiber bodywork is some of the most well-laid, best-fitting we’ve ever seen.

Then there’s the interior, which we think is what Clarkson is talking about. It’s cheap...really cheap. Wonky plastic buttons abound, the 3ZR package brings ugly, atrociously stitched leather in poorly chosen color combinations and the steering wheel belongs in a Cobalt, not a 205 MPH supercar. But despite all that, it should fundamentally be capable of holding itself together. We just don’t know what Clarkson is on about. Do you?

http://jalopnik.com/5060514/jeremy-...ays-it-began-to-disintegrate-after-three-days

jalopnik.png

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
the :hsugh: is because clarkson isn't happy with anything, he'll rant about a crappy interior but it's a f-ing sports car who gives a shit about the interior. They didn't design the ZR1 so the seats would air condition his sweaty balls, it's not a 6,000lb mercedez (sp?) either. Whatever, we as Americans don't need all the amenities that they do, he's a cry baby. :tear:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
well id bitch about cheap plastics in a 100k car too tho

But they aren't that cheap ya know? He acts like they just fall out every time he touches them. A car like that doesn't need billet aluminum buttons all over the cabbin to give it a "luxury" appeal. If you want a nice "sports" car then don't buy an American car lol, that's the point. He'll talk good about every american car until he gets to the looks and interior. Then he just starts bashing them, doesn't he know by now we don't sell cars based off of Luxury anymore, it's all about how much hp it makes, or gas mileage. Americans can care less about anything else.

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
the :hsugh: is because clarkson isn't happy with anything, he'll rant about a crappy interior but it's a f-ing sports car who gives a shit about the interior. They didn't design the ZR1 so the seats would air condition his sweaty balls, it's not a 6,000lb mercedez (sp?) either. Whatever, we as Americans don't need all the amenities that they do, he's a cry baby. :tear:

this i also agree with, if it was a merc with some plastic, he wouldnt have an issue, hes biased about american sports cars, either way i dont care, if i had a zr1, i sure as hell wouldnt complain about the interior. interior is the last thing i worry about when i look at cars

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The interior on the Vette isn't the greatest. Or at least compared to the new GM products like the CTS, higher trims on the Malibu, Buick Enclave and that whole design direction. When introduced in 2005 it wasn't that bad, but I would say it needs work. Especially when you've got the same interior material as an HHR on the inside of your image car.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Clarkson just doesn't bitch about American cars, basically any car that comes along and is not up to great build quality he'll bitch about. I've seen him bitch about pretty much every car maker out there. Yeah maybe he picks on American cars a little more than any of the others and doesn't hit the Aston's as much. But I really don't think he's where he is now, because of complete "jackassery". I'm almost certain that the interior of that car is complete dogshit for a car that is $100K+. If I'm gonna spend that much on a car, I'm not asking for alot, but I am asking for a some sense of build quality. Not OBVIOUSLY cheap looking plastic chunks all over the place, that expand and shrink with heat and have horrible gaps, that's the kind of shit you find on MY car.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
Clarkson just doesn't bitch about American cars, basically any car that comes along and is not up to great build quality he'll bitch about. I've seen him bitch about pretty much every car maker out there. Yeah maybe he picks on American cars a little more than any of the others and doesn't hit the Aston's as much. But I really don't think he's where he is now, because of complete "jackassery". I'm almost certain that the interior of that car is complete dogshit for a car that is $100K+. If I'm gonna spend that much on a car, I'm not asking for alot, but I am asking for a some sense of build quality. Not OBVIOUSLY cheap looking plastic chunks all over the place, that expand and shrink with heat and have horrible gaps, that's the kind of shit you find on MY car.

You off your soap box now?:ford:

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
scionblahblah.gif

oh, damn... that's right, you don't have a Scion... Only a PT Luiser...

Excuse me sir? Did i read that right? You making fun of the PT? First things first!!! Its PT Snoozer, and if i was going to make a Loser reference i'd type it L O S E R, not Luiser. What is my car named after some guy names Luis? Maybe Luis the XIV? Second, i also own an SVO Mustang!!! Lastly i will fucking come over to your house in a red convertible and tear you a new one!!!

Just kidding, believe in jesus. :ford:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info