Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
While most races feature a checkered flag at the end, the United States Grand Prix has had a checkered past. It was first ran in Savannah, Georgia in 1908 as the American Grand Prize and was held with few exceptions through 1917 before switching to Milwaukee and then California. The event then disappeared from motor racing from 1917 all the way through 1957 and reappeared at Riverside in '58, switching venues a few more times before landing at Watkins Glen through 1975. Dallas, Detroit and Phoenix held the race from 1984 to 1991 before it disappeared into obscurity (again) and was then revived at a modified Indianapolis Motor Speedway in 2000 where it was held until it got cancelled again this year. It's too late to get the U.S. Grand Prix back on the F1 schedule for the 2009 season, but some are pushing for its return in 2010. Surprisingly, however, it isn't race organizers who are most interested. It's the teams.

With an eye towards the American market, which is vital for many of automakers like Toyota, Honda, BMW and Mercedes that power and own the half the teams on the grid, team owners have been encouraging F1 organizer Bernie Ecclestone to broker a deal to bring the Formula One circus back to American shores. Although Indianapolis Motor Speedway executives say their circuit is still an ideal location, Ecclestone is reportedly keen on setting up a race in Las Vegas. The teams and their sponsors, however, favor a race on either the East or West coast of the United States. One thing they can all agree on, however, is that heading back to the U.S. is vital for the sport and for its participants.

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
What about when it was in the Caesars Palace parking lot?

The IMS race was nice, i liked it when it wasn't marred by tire failure. But F1 has pretty much teched itself outta most interesting race courses. Their safety requirements are high(as they should be for how fast they are) and most places don't want to spend the money for something that might leave in 5yrs.
Places i'd love to see an F1 race:
Road America, Laguna Seca, mid ohio, VIR and finally Sebring (its tough on tires and drivers of Prototype, imagine how it would be on F1 cars and drivers.)

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
i think sebring would be way too rough for an F1 cars suspension. they'd have to set it at like maximum ride height, and i bet it'd still be scraping and bouncing all over the place.
But that is my whole point! Test the crew and the driver, not just have the track be glass smooth. The driver has to not only memorize braking zones and the like, but also how the track changes from being on the race line and moving out to pass.

I know it looks easy on tv, but i also realize that F1 drivers are some of the fittest athletes( and i mean athlete) in the world. So i'm not saying its not hard.

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
its next to impossible to detect the suspension movement of a f1 car even on the softest settings. you need a slow mo replay to see anything move. they hardly have what we know as suspension, the cars are far too rigid to handle any sort of bumps over and over. i dont think they could personally handle the laguna seca corkscrew right without scraping something or raising the hell outta the ride height therefore ruining the handling.

most the tracks have been redone for this exact reason, you wont find too many tracks left that are real rough cause they demand the track be redone if it gets real bad.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
Well sebring is the exception for roughness because of the concrete airstrip sections. But it would be a great test for engineers, the crews and the drivers to have to set up their cars for the corkscrew, or for the high speed of Road America. Sure they might be "worsening" the handling, but would you really notice? You wouldn't be able to tell from watching because it would be a new track and theirs no baseline.

Would it be such a bad thing if they had to engineer the suspensions to not only handle 5g loads from down force and later gs, but to also handle that while going over bumps and extreme change in elevation. Granted when i say "bumps" i dont mean cracks in the pavement or noticeable ridges in the pavement, i just mean that some spots are uneven.

As i type this though i would not want to see this with decreased safety, i wouldn't want everyone to go on Laguna Seca and crash because the corkscrew just isn't meant for F1.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
unfortunately, i cant really think of too many dedicated US tracks outside of indy and road america that would be suitable for an F1 race, which is really a shame. If they decide to venture out of indy the next time they come to US i can almost guarantee its going to be some type of street track setup somewhere

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
F1 has some crazy rules for safety in the pits and out of the track, i believe that IMS was one of the few tracks that had the money to actually upgrade. Though when they built the road circuit they probably just pushed all that shit into the total sum.

EDIT: i find this interesting from Wikipedia 2007 estimates of team costs.
"In March 2007 F1 Racing published its annual estimates of spending by Formula One teams. The total spending of all eleven teams in 2006 was estimated at $2.9 billion. This was broken down as follows; Toyota $418.5 million, Ferrari $406.5 m, McLaren $402 m, Honda $380.5 m, BMW Sauber $355 m, Renault $324 m, Red Bull $252 m, Williams $195.5 m, Midland F1/Spyker-MF1 $120 m, Toro Rosso $75 m, and Super Aguri $57 million."

Toyota spends a shit ton of money to be terrible. Renault is mid pack but is very successful of late.

Last edited:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Toyota also probably sponsers other racing teams outside of F1. Unlike Ferrari, and I'm sure most of those other ones.

toyota does have a pretty strong presence in the JGTC, but bmw also runs in le mans, and honda pretty much does indy cars, so theres a lot of teams that dont exclusively focus on F1, but ferrari and mercedes for sure dump most of their resources into it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info