Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
2763407320_450.jpg

As of 1996, the United States requires all new vehicles to come equipped with the OBD II on-board vehicle diagnostics system. The system utilizes an array of sensors to provide feedback on engine performance in order to aid mechanics with troubleshooting as well as maintain sufficient emissions levels. The large expense of readers and loggers has kept access to the system out of range for the majority of consumers, that is until more recently. These days electronics, such as small touch screen lcds, have become a reasonable option for data displays. The aftermarket industry has already taken the jump in releasing software that integrates OBDII output to visual digital displays. Nissan even includes a fine example of the technology in the GT-R. Now GM has developed its own performance display intended for use with ECOtec engines, specifically those of the turbocharged variety, and it will be a $295 dealer installed option beginning in 2009.

GM's Reconfigurable Performance Display can illustrate a wide range of data in gauge form, such as boost, battery voltage, air fuel ratio, cam phase angle, timing, barometric pressure and even torque and horsepower (the later two likely calculated based on other parameters). The device even includes a g-sensor, so no need for hacking your Wiimote to do the job. Traction control can also be enabled and disabled through the screen, along with shift lights for individual gears. Check out the gallery below for various screen shots. While it is apparent that the display is marketed towards Chevrolet Cobalt SS and HHR SS owners, we also presume that Saturn Sky Redline and Solstice GXP owners will get the option. Unfortunately, there is no word yet on the performance display being available for the Chevy Camaro.

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It would be nice if this were a factory installed and integrated component instead of a dealer-installed accessory.

Chrysler has 1/4 mile time, G forces and 0-60 mph times available for recording in the dash cluster of a few SRT cars, but I think this info would be more valuable.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
It would be nice if this were a factory installed and integrated component instead of a dealer-installed accessory.

Chrysler has 1/4 mile time, G forces and 0-60 mph times available for recording in the dash cluster of a few SRT cars, but I think this info would be more valuable.

How accurate is the measuring of those times? I like the idea but i'll bet a dollar that they are optimistic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info