đź“° Auto News First Look: 2011 Chevy Cruze

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
From KickingTires:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/08/2011-chevy-cruz.html

GM released the first full-size images of the Chevy Cruze compact sedan that will go on sale in 2010 as a 2011 model. The Cruze will most likely replace the Cobalt in Chevy’s line-up and closely resembles the new Chevy Malibu in the looks department. In fact, we’d say it almost looks like a shrunken Malibu with some BMW influence thrown in. Considering the new Malibu is widely praised and is selling well, this is probably not a bad thing. However, having to wait another two years for a competitive compact sedan from GM is not a good thing. Full size images are below.

cruze1.jpg

cruze2.jpg

cruze3.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Here's what autoblog has to say:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/21/gm-releases-official-pics-of-2011-chevy-cruze/

They're here! The first official pics of the 2011 Chevy Cruze have been released by General Motors, and we're not ashamed to say it – we like it. Of course, we're comparing it to the current small car in GM's lineup, the Cobalt, so the bar is pretty low. That said, GM's new small car takes the split-grille motif made famous by the Malibu and makes it more interesting with sharp creases rather than rounded corners. The front end features headlights that extend up and "point" to the A-pillars, and a strong character line running the length of the vehicle sits below a concave bend that sweeps up to meet the windows.

GM claims that fit and finish of the Cruze will be world class for a small car, and that its interior will use "grained surfaces, soft-touch materials and low gloss trim panels" to improve its perceived quality. Unfortunately, no shots of the interior were provided, but you can catch a glimpse in this rear 3/4 shot.

The Cruze will be a global car, and as such it's going on sale in Europe first. It will makes its global debut at the Paris Motor Show in October, where European customers will be the first to check it out in person before it goes on sale in March 2009 overseas. It will be available at launch with a 112-hp 1.6L engine, a 140-hp 1.8L and a 150-hp 2.0L turbodiesel. The North American version will likely get GM's upcoming direct injected 1.4L four-cylinder. The Cruze will also offer a five-speed manual and GM's first application of a six-speed automatic in a small car.

The kicker? The 2011 Chevy Cruze will be built at GM's plant in Lordstown, OH where the current Cobalt and Pontiac G5 are built. Though it'll be built right in our own backyard, the Cruze reportedly won't be available in the U.S. for at least a year or two.

Check out AutoblogGreen's report on the new Cruze to discover its close connection with the Chevy Volt.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
i think gm needs to step it up. the aveo is ugly as balls and it gets terrible mpg. the toyota yaris is ugly as balls and it gets crazy good mileage.

i would be excited for the employee pricing if there was something worth buying. i do kinda like the saturn astra though.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The Cobalt is a huge pile, but the XFE gets 37 mpg on the highway. The Aveo is an even huge-er pile than the Cobalt. So they need to step their game up as far as compacts. The Cruze could be the solution, although if it's heavier it won't likely do much better. I'd like to see the four-cylinder and six-speed-auto combo from the Malibu in the Cruze. that would likely get stellar mileage.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
If this car has great fit and finish, good mpgs for a DI 1.4(as long as it gets to 60mph in less than 13sec power doesn't matter really), and an enticing price it should = a success. Plus exporting cars to other countries starts to even out our export/import ration. Making the dollar stronger.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info