Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
In a move that will help both ailing automakers, General Motors and Ford are holding discussions about sharing engine and powertrain technologies. Although neither company will officially acknowledge the liaisons, the meetings have been going on for more than a month, according to sources. Engine and powertrain development costs are significant -- an entirely new engine could cost $1 billion, while a transmission could cost upwards of $800 million -- so splitting those costs offers substantial savings to both companies. In addition to the financial incentives, technology sharing would open doors that otherwise would have remained shut (e.g., GM sharing Volt technology with Ford). This wouldn't be the first time the two competitors have climbed in the sack together... years ago, they successfully partnered on a six-speed automatic transmission that is widely used by both companies today.

This rumor definitely makes for a fun what-if game. If these discussions bear fruit, what engines would you like shared across the aisle? A Vortech V8-powered F-150 or an LS9 Mustang GT500? How about a Malibu powered by a twin-turbo DI Ecoboost V6?

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
I hope its more GM giving stuff to Ford than the other way around. I dont want my future GM car to pop a transmission every 50 k or having metal door handles bust off.
What an ignorant ass statement. Have you ever personally owned a ford? If not, keep your "opinion" to yourself..

I hate fords, but I highly doubt you've ever owned one.. you're more than likely solely going on what other people say.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Every newer Ford I've been in/driven I have been very dissatisfied. My friend has a 98 Taurus with only 130k on it and the trans is takin a shit for the second time. My neighbors had a late 90's Windstar that went thru 3 motors and 2 trans' in the 3ish years they had it.

Ford quality isn't Job #1 IMO.....

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Every newer Ford I've been in/driven I have been very dissatisfied. My friend has a 98 Taurus with only 130k on it and the trans is takin a shit for the second time. My neighbors had a late 90's Windstar that went thru 3 motors and 2 trans' in the 3ish years they had it.

Ford quality isn't Job #1 IMO.....

A lot has happened in 10 years, dude. But it is hard to get rid of that negative perception because those cars are, in fact, pieces of shit. They shouldn't be compared to the new cars, though, because they have zero similarities.

All of the domestics are dealing with that image problem, though.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
A lot has happened in 10 years, dude. But it is hard to get rid of that negative perception because those cars are, in fact, pieces of shit. They shouldn't be compared to the new cars, though, because they have zero similarities.

All of the domestics are dealing with that image problem, though.

I know things change over the last 10 years as far as automotive quality(in some cases at least..) but even the new 07/08 Fords I've been in I wasn't impressed.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
all i know is my 89 aerostar was the shit..... the tailshaft leaked so bad i had to add a quart of tranny fluid every week. i knew it was low when it slipped and then went BAM into gear. replaced the seal and tranny was perfect....with 280K on the clock. the body pretty much rotted off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info