Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
01_2009_subaru_impreza_wrx.jpg

It's official folks. Those of you that picked up a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX have been had. The road-going rally rocket gets an update for 2009 and with it comes a retuned 2.5-liter boxer four-pot producing 265 hp and 244 lb.-ft. of torque – a 41 hp and 18 lb.-ft. increase over the outgoing model. Power will be sent to all four wheels through a five-speed manual – the only transmission available -- with low-profile 225/45R17 summer tires replacing the 205/50R17 rubber of the 2008 model.

The suspension has been revised to include stiffer springs, uprated dampers, upper strut mounts cribbed from the STI and larger anti-roll bars fore and aft. The Aero package is no longer an option – it's standard – and includes an STI-inspired grille on both the sedan and hatch, while the five-door receives the STI's rear spoiler and underbody diffuser.

Impreza obsessives that ran out to buy a 2008 model might be miffed, but Subaru had to make adjustments to keep the WRX competitive, particularly with the Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart becoming a serious contender in the turbo'd sedan segment.

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Looks like there's going to be an Impreza 2.5 GT, which will be the current WRX, and it's only available as an automatic.

It's still bogus that the Sti six-speed manual isn't offered. I'm sure fuel economy could improve with those transmissions.

Mickey

Look at those low rates!
Feb 13, 2008
Normal, IL
Real Name
Mickey Cole
Thank gOD for this. I bet they're going to sell a lot more of these. I actually love the STi hatch. I think it looks mean as hell. On a side note I saw an assload of BRAND SPANKIN' NEW EVO X MRs on a trailer headed south on 55 probably making their way to Bloomington or Peoria. :bowdown:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
yes it is. he just bought full exhaust for it and may get a dyno tune soon. suposedly people are seeing over 100whp gains....scary!

He's not lying. The 335i with the same engine is reportedly going 12.5 with just a tune :eek:

The thing sounds like a mini Supra ... I love it. One of my favorite cars in recent drives.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
hes off for the week. i think he works this sunday though. i'll let you know how it goes. he's very pushy with getting me to drive his cars. i was forced to drive his mom's brand new mini clubman S 6 speed. it drove surprisingly great and had some top end power. i also drove his scion Xb....it was a turd.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info