đź“° Auto News 436-hp rental car? Yeah ... probably not such a good idea.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
From Jalopnik:

An out-of-control Hertz Corvette ZHZ crashed into a popular Dallas eatery yesterday, proving yet again the age-old axiom, "with great rental horsepower, comes greatly diminished responsibility." It's been what, at least a month now since the new special edition "Velocity Yellow" 'vette with a black hood and roof stripe was added to Hertz's "Fun Collection" lineup? Yeah, we guess it's about time one was smashed up by some idiot vacationer hoping to play with some high horsepower. Looking back on it, considering the 436 HP 6.2-liter V8 under the hood tied to a flappy paddle gearbox, this thing was just begging for us to create a "Corvette ZHZ Crash Watch." Oh well, we guess we'll just have to wait for the next one — there's at least 499 more chances depending on whether Hertz can fix 'em. See you all back here next Tuesday then?

medium_2713843008_f9d7c7fba5_o.jpg

medium_2713029947_7474ee33e6_o.jpg

medium_2713842896_1bb1c201d1_o.jpg

medium_2713029979_96f730e2d5_o.jpg

medium_2713030063_3629474754_o.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
This is one of their "premium" vehicles and it does have the optional dual-mode exhaust that gives an extra 6 hp. This isn't a base POS Cobalt that's part of their regular fleet. Full press release:

HERTZ DOES IT AGAIN; COMPANY ROLLS OUT CORVETTE ZHZ, AN EXCLUSIVE, LIMITED-EDITION, PERFORMANCE CAR FOR CUSTOMERS SEEKING TO ADD MORE FUN AND EXCITEMENT TO THEIR TRIPS

PARK RIDGE, NJ - June 9, 2008 - Get ready to start your engines! The Hertz Corporation (NYSE: HTZ) has teamed up with General Motors to launch the Corvette ZHZ, a special limited-edition, high-performance super-car now available for rental exclusively through Hertz. Equipped with a 436-horsepower, V-8 engine, the Corvette ZHZ is the newest showcase car in the Hertz Fun Collection, which features a series of sporty vehicles designed to make the drive a key part of the journey.

Recognizing the special appeal of Corvettes to owners and would-be owners, Hertz is adding 500 Corvette ZHZ models to its airport locations in 24 major metropolitan cities across 14 states and Washington, D.C. through June 16, 2008, so this summer you can take to the road in style, wherever your trip takes you. The first Corvette ZHZs debuts this month at Hertz airport locations in major cities including Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco and Seattle.

"We are thrilled to be able to offer the limited-edition Corvette ZHZ as part of our Fun Collection fleet," said Mark P. Frissora, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer for Hertz. "With the launch of this exclusive program, customers can experience the thrill of renting a high-performance car that provides the utmost in driving experiences while adding a splash of fun with its distinctive look."

Finished in Hertz' iconic yellow with an exclusive center exterior black stripe, the Corvette ZHZ features a paddle-shift automatic transmission and 6.2-liter engine with plenty of reserve power for passing. The Corvette ZHZ also features a dual-mode exhaust system, magnetic selective ride control with "tour" and "sport" settings for a customized ride, and specific 18-inch front and 19-inch rear chrome seven-spoke performance wheels. The Corvette ZHZ's performance exhaust system ensures the aggressive sound performance loved by auto enthusiasts.

The Corvette ZHZ also features a distinctive look, with dramatic fender forms and exposed headlamps combined with the grille and center-exit exhaust, round tail lamps, tapered rear deck, a rear spoiler and body color door handles to create a dramatic visual identity. In addition, the car comes equipped with a screen mesh package that provides side covers, exhaust plate screen and a grille mesh; under-hood blanket with the Corvette emblem and lamp kit; specific console armrest with ZHZ embroidery and a Hertz fender emblem and floor mat embroidery designed by GM.

The Corvette ZHZ will be available as part of the Fun Collection fleet at the following Hertz airport locations: Phoenix, AZ; Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco, CA.; Denver, CO; Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Miami, Orlando, Palm Beach and Tampa, FL; Savannah, GA; Maui and Oahu, HI; Boston, MA; Newark, NJ ; Charlotte, NC; Portland, OR; Charleston, SC; Nashville, TN; Dallas and Houston, TX; Seattle, WA; and Washington, DC (Dulles Airport).

Hertz Fun Collection
Highlighting its position as a leader at U.S. airports in the leisure car rental market, Hertz's Fun Collection features vehicles tailor-made for travelers seeking exciting driving experiences. The Fun Collection, with cars that can be reserved by specific make and model, adds even more entertainment to the driving experience as each car comes equipped with SIRIUS (Nasdaq: SIRI) Satellite Radio.

# # #

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
This is one of their "premium" vehicles and it does have the optional dual-mode exhaust that gives an extra 6 hp. This isn't a base POS Cobalt that's part of their regular fleet. Full press release:

So it has paddle shifters and a different exhaust? The suspension is standard on all corvettes. They've been using that shit for years.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The optional exhaust sounds fantastic when you're getting on it, although I wish there was a button that would leave it "open" all the time. I'm sure it's doable, since guys have bypassed the system on the Z06. But I think this exhaust would be perfect with the use of headers. Quite and stock-sounding around town, but long-tube jizztasticness when full throttle.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
This would be the only auto i'd ever consider buying on a corvette, its pretty nice, i wouldn't make fun of someone for buying one. But in the end if i'd be buying a corvette, manual it always will be.

For a rental company, Automatic is nearly Mandatory, too many people don't know how to drive stick.

but yes, If/when I buy a RWD V-8, it will be stick.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Magnetic ride control is optional equipment and is a $2,000 option. The dual-mode exhaust is a $1,200 option.

That exhaust option has to be the worst dollar for power upgrade anyone could possibly do.

$2k / 6hp = $333 per 1 hp gain

I'm sure a lot of people option for it because the sound though. They are effin sweet cars nonetheless.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
That exhaust option has to be the worst dollar for power upgrade anyone could possibly do.

$2k / 6hp = $333 per 1 hp gain

I'm sure a lot of people option for it because the sound though. They are effin sweet cars nonetheless.

You've heard it first hand, what are you complaining about? :rofl:

BTW, aftermarket exhausts for the Vettes are minimum $1200.

Nasty93

Nasty93
Oct 17, 2007
The Unit
The optional exhaust sounds fantastic when you're getting on it, although I wish there was a button that would leave it "open" all the time. I'm sure it's doable, since guys have bypassed the system on the Z06. But I think this exhaust would be perfect with the use of headers. Quite and stock-sounding around town, but long-tube jizztasticness when full throttle.

2 golftees = bypassed

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info