đź“° Auto News Using launch control on GT-R voids the warranty?!?!

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
lame! not to mention the outrageous tune-up prices for the thing. a friend of mine works at motorwerks in barrington and they got all their special tools and i think 2 of their mechanics went through the classes to work on them, anyways the first scheduled maintenance is like $10,000 or something outrageous like that...

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I don't think this is unreasonable at all honestly. Mitsibisi did the 'same' thing when they cut the redline back to like 4-5K RPM on the Evo's at one point because too many people were doing 7K RPM Neutral drops.

Also, It mentions "Should only be used if stuck in mud/snow" so you can pretty easily just claim you were trying to figure out how to get un-stuck. Black box or not, they have to prove you were TRYING to abuse the car.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I don't think this is unreasonable at all honestly. Mitsibisi did the 'same' thing when they cut the redline back to like 4-5K RPM on the Evo's at one point because too many people were doing 7K RPM Neutral drops.

Also, It mentions "Should only be used if stuck in mud/snow" so you can pretty easily just claim you were trying to figure out how to get un-stuck. Black box or not, they have to prove you were TRYING to abuse the car.

Except with the black box they can see u took the VPC off then probably got the car to 100mph+, IN THE SNOW!

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
ferrari, BMW, quite a few manufacturers have this policy....its not all that surprising....beat the crap out of the car outside of the recommended manufacturer settings and shit breaks. mitsu has this problem by voiding clutch replacements...i'm sure nissan is covering their asses for all the idiots who will use launch control at every stop light...do i think its crap a degree? yes...but i understand fully why nissan is doing it...now if ull excuse me, i must go back outside and continue to burn myself

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
lame! not to mention the outrageous tune-up prices for the thing. a friend of mine works at motorwerks in barrington and they got all their special tools and i think 2 of their mechanics went through the classes to work on them, anyways the first scheduled maintenance is like 10K or something outrageous like that...

You must not be very familiar with modern cars if you think the gtr is any different on it's scheduled maintenance and required tools to work on it.

I agree it's lame that using a feature that comes with the car is fucking bogus. If they didn't want you to use it... why even put it in the car? Retarded.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
ferrari, BMW, quite a few manufacturers have this policy....its not all that surprising....beat the crap out of the car outside of the recommended manufacturer settings and shit breaks. mitsu has this problem by voiding clutch replacements...i'm sure nissan is covering their asses for all the idiots who will use launch control at every stop light...do i think its crap a degree? yes...but i understand fully why nissan is doing it...now if ull excuse me, i must go back outside and continue to burn myself

Are you kidding me? I am allowed to take traction fully off on my car and do whatever the fuck I want and they will still even change my oil free of charge! I agree that every car company will void a warranty if they believe unusual abuse to the car occurred, although, I believe Nissan is the only company saying they will void the warranty if you take traction off. I know a few Cobra and Corvette guys (Yes Whitedevil, IRL rear ends) that blew their rear end at the track and it was still covered under warranty. The question is, if you had a brand new GTR lined up at a street light with my M3, would you take your traction off and put the launch control on possibly voiding your warranty if anything goes wrong during the race? I know I'd have my traction off, and I'd be ready to beat the hell out of my sports car knowing damn well that if anything happens BMW will cover it. These are sports cars, most other companies know their consumers are going to beat on them. Funny too that BMW will even pay for my clutch, brake pads and rotors where as Nissan won't pay for anything it seems if you drive the car how it's meant to be driven.

Last edited:

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
One of the guys on a Nissan forum emailed Nissan about how ridiculous this is and got this response:

"Tuning:
Malfunctions caused by operation performed at workshop other than NHPC or mount of parts other than Nissan genuine will not be covered by warranty.

Driving condition:
Malfunctions caused by severe driving (eg. driving at circuit) will not be covered by warranty.
Verification of travel distance with Vehicle Status Data Recorder (VSDR) and history of parts replacement may be conducted.

Special driving condition:
Launch mode needs to be set VDC off. When the customer set VDC off, then warranty is not covered as described in the Owner Manual (OM).
Customer should be checked and maintained in NHPC before and after driving racetrack to follow special racing service intervals in OM.
System failure on the vehicle during race driving on a circuit is non-warrantable. System failure on the vehicle during city driving related to having driven the vehicle on a race circuit is non-warrantable."

So what have we learned today boys and girls? Nissan made this wonderful race car that is faster than any other car ever made, the only problem is, Nissan is not guaranteeing any sort of quality with this race car and will void the warranty if a) a problem occurs while traction control is off or b)you have ever raced the car on a track. Now I think that is hilarious. So if I take my car to a race track Saturday, and break it driving around town Wednesday, I am SOL and Nissan is $70k richer. LOL, nice try, Nissan can keep their jap crap. If I wanted a balls to the wall race car, I definetly would have gone with a Z06 backed 100% by CHEVROLET.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
ah so not only would they know speed and G's but also locations. well that sucks for any idiot buying that car. then again...if your shelling out the money to buy the thing who needs a warranty? i would just say fuck it and go balls to the wall track/street car.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
"I am SOL and Nissan is $70k richer."

I guess the guy doesn't know what manufacturers suggested RETAIL price means. Be pissed at Nissan for covering their asses in a douchebag way and remember that dealers set the final price, not the car companies.

OK, lets get technical ass. Nissan is $50k richer and the dealer that sold the car is $20k richer.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
This isn't unheard of at all, and especially for a performance car. I don't know why everyone is thinking less of the car because if you race it, the warranty will be voided. It's basically left to the discretion of the dealership, anyways. And that's assuming something does break, which no one really knows anyways with a new car.

Show me an example of a GT-R owner who's warranty has actually be voided, and then I'll give credit to this. Otherwise, it's just legal bullshit in the owner's manual. I know for a fact you'll find the same stuff in the Viper ACR owner's manual:

"Racing Not Covered:
The warranty does not cover the cost of
repairing damage or conditions caused
by racing, nor does it cover the repair for
any defects that are found as the result
of participating in a racing event. The
term racing includes but is not exclusive
to: wheel to wheel competition, timed
competitive events, autocross or other
off-road track events."

Go here to read: http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html?year=2008&nameplate=Viper

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info