Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
slooooooooooow news day

gt500krdynonumbers.jpg

There's horsepower, and then there's dyno-tested, can't-lie-to-your-friends horsepower. If you want to know how much power a car really makes, you've got to strap it to a dyno and spin it to redline. The guys over at 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords are always eager to find the true horsepower of a car, and so when they took delivery of a GT500KR to review they headed straight to the dyno to see how much power the supercharged V8 is putting out. What they found was somewhat surprising -- the KR produced 509 horsepower and 467.7 lb.-ft. torque to the wheels. Adjusting for an estimated driveline loss of 15 percent, the actual output at the flywheel is 589.82 hp and 550.24 lb-ft torque -- nearly 50 more horsepower and 40 more lb-ft than Ford is claiming.

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
But what if the motor was underrated, there was an article posted up about the ZR1 and how they are really afraid of making an over rated engine. So they underrate everything so that they all meet the standard. Then when the motor makes the factory crank number at the wheels when you dyno it, then you feel giddy and happy and warm.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I think a lot of car manufacturers are scared of underrating there motors. Remember back in 2001 when Ford underrated the power of the Cobra and gave the choice to the owners of Ford buying back all of the cars. I don't think in this economy a company, no matter how large can afford to have a publicity blunder.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I think a lot of car manufacturers are scared of underrating there motors. Remember back in 2001 when Ford underrated the power of the Cobra and gave the choice to the owners of Ford buying back all of the cars. I don't think in this economy a company, no matter how large can afford to have a publicity blunder.

I think it was the '99 Cobra's. They were putting out equal (and in some cases) less hp than the GT's.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

wouldnt you rather UNDERRATE the power then overrate it? like mazda did w/ the rx8

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
so who actually cares about this car? in order to get one you have to be on a waiting list for 5 years then pay $40k over sticker when you could have just gone over to your GM dealer and gotten a Z06 and been faster and got better fuel economy for less dough...

agreed.

oh i saw your s2000 today....sneaky parking with the bumper up close to the wall.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info