đź“° Auto News Ford Fiesta Will Get 38.9 mpg Combined

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
From KickingTires

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/07/ford-fiesta-wil.html

Ford recently released information on the gasoline engine that will power its new Fiesta compact car in Europe. While Europeans will get the choice of a number of diesel options, the only gasoline powered model will be a four-cylinder able to hit 118 mph, do 0-62 mph in 9.9 seconds and get a combined mileage of 38.9 mpg, far better than any non-hybrid on sale in the U.S.

fiesta.jpg

These are impressive numbers to be sure. What’s not impressive is the Fiesta goes on sale in Europe this October, but won’t hit the states for another full year, fall 2009. We also don’t know if the same impressive gasoline engine will be available in the U.S. version. If you want to tell Ford this is the engine you want, chime in below.

I actually like the Fiesta, although the name makes me cringe everytime I hear it. The concept's Verve name was so much better.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
from what ive heard thats surprising :dunno: seems like a lot of people just arent hitting EPA estimates

are u guys serious? u really like the way it looks?

IMO looks bad... but again, IMO

I think the Prius is UGLY, but yea, he manages over 40mpg and is very 'conscious' of his driving style because he has the 'real time MPG display' up all the time to remind him how much fuel he's burning.

I LIKE my focus (05-07 style), the interior,motor,transmission, and exterior are worlds different/better than the 00-04 style (aside from the side profile really). and MUCH MUCH better than the 08+ style.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
What makes you cringe more: Fiesta, Festiva, or Aspire?

:puke:

I just don't understand why Ford wants to stick the same old names on a new car. The Fiesta is obviously a new design for North America, and it should be seen as completely fresh, including the name. Verve was perfect.

Renaming the Five-Hundred the Taurus .... yeah, that didn't work. It's a good car, but it shouldn't be called a Taurus IMO.

They say it's about name recognition ... the thing is, we recognized those cars as turds when they were still around, so why do it again?

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
Well you've seen the size of most of the cars over there.... it fit in perfectly, samll little shits, lol

Not to offend anyone, but i think America has the wrong concept of a small car. Just because its small on the outside doesn't mean its uncomfortable. I'm 6'4" and i fit comfortably into my PT. Though i believe we have been jaded in the past by inferior cars (fiesta, Festiva, Aspire, Cimarron). I like to keep an open mind and give them a second chance, technology has come a long way since that last car.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Not to offend anyone, but i think America has the wrong concept of a small car. Just because its small on the outside doesn't mean its uncomfortable. I'm 6'4" and i fit comfortably into my PT. Though i believe we have been jaded in the past by inferior cars (fiesta, Festiva, Aspire, Cimarron). I like to keep an open mind and give them a second chance, technology has come a long way since that last car.

X2, the civic is TINY, but has more usable space inside it than the focus does (Especially with no rear interior :rofl:), and I fit comfortable in it at 6'2", and don't feel claustrophobic or anything

(Wow, I spelled that right without spell check yelling at me)

Ricky

MWIR.net
May 5, 2008
Aurora, IL
Real Name
Ricky
that's actually not a bad looking car. If it comes to the US looking like that i'd definetely consider it since my 3-series only gets about 20mpg.

I don't see why cars don't get higher gas mileage though. Not many people are aware, but Civic's back in '92 were getting 50mpg (VX model). The recipe is simple. Small efficient engine + lightweight aerodynamic car (VX had diffusers underneath and lightweight wheels). But with today's stupid safety standards, that recipe is impossible. at least the 2nd part of it.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
that's actually not a bad looking car. If it comes to the US looking like that i'd definetely consider it since my 3-series only gets about 20mpg.

I don't see why cars don't get higher gas mileage though. Not many people are aware, but Civic's back in '92 were getting 50mpg (VX model). The recipe is simple. Small efficient engine + lightweight aerodynamic car (VX had diffusers underneath and lightweight wheels). But with today's stupid safety standards, that recipe is impossible. at least the 2nd part of it.

incorrect... look at f1 cars....

Ricky

MWIR.net
May 5, 2008
Aurora, IL
Real Name
Ricky

incorrect... look at f1 cars....

??? what's incorrect? and exactly what does any of what i posted have to do with F1 cars?

92-95 Civic VX's achieved 45mpg city, 51mpg highway: correct.
small efficient engine + lightweight aerodynamic car = recipe for great gas mileage: correct.
today's (US) safety standards preventing manufacturers to build lightweight yet cost effective vehicles: correct.

please elaborate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info