đź“° Auto News Dodge Challenger Drag Pack: It's coming, and maybe 800 pounds lighter

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It's an all-out strip package. Not street legal. Big cam.

There's a video of it going down the track after the link. No times, though.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/01/exclusive-video-dodge-challenger-mopar-drag-package-cometh/

From Autoblog:

Those of you steeped in drag racing lore are undoubtedly familiar with the 1968 HEMI-powered Dodge Darts and Plymouth Barracudas. These limited edition, track-bound '68 package cars brought out some of the biggest names in drag racing and helped solidify the automaker as a force to be reckoned with down the 1320. When Dodge unveiled the Challenger drag race package at SEMA, we knew the Mopar crew had something serious up its sleeves, and we've got an exclusive clip of what's to come.

Chrysler isn't releasing the details on this non-street-legal, drag-race ready model yet, but earlier reports suggest an overall weight savings of around 800 pounds by stripping the interior down to the bare essentials (one seat, a set of gauges and no sound deadening material), nixing the wipers and A/C and replacing many of the body panels with composite material. The front brakes will also be modified, along with the rear end and front crossmember, and a roll cage is assuredly part of the package. As for power, expect a big HEMI V8 under the hood producing over 500 hp and close to 500 lb.-ft. of torque. All of that is speculation for now, but expect official word from Mopar shortly. Check out our exclusive video after the jump to keep you satisfied in the interim.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
mopar is putting out a supercharger kit for it and hennessey is hard at work on their twin turbo kit

Id have Speed INC build me a car before Hennessey. :rofl: If it catches and people can afford it, then cool. I just dont know if it will catch on. Normally when people build track only cars, they normally want vintage 70s cars that can be had for alot cheaper.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
it would be cool if it would stay street legal. i agree you could probably spend the difference between the street legal one and this one and come up with a street legal car just as fast.

I think the advantage here is that it's an NHRA certified chassis and ready for racing in whatever class they designed the car to run in. It's like the FR500 Mustangs. Yeah, you could make more power with the same money on a street car, but this is a purpose-built race car that you don't have to mess with fabrication and meeting the correct specifications and such to run a competitive class. Although for some guys I'm sure the fabrication is the fun part.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
yea i get the point, and the FR500 class should be cool!

have they talked about 1/4 mile estimates?

i also think the class would be kind of boring with all the cars being similar...like funny cars. sure its cool to watch once or twice but not as entertaining as door slammers which are using spray, turbos, s/c and everything in between to create crazy fast "almost street" cars..

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
yea i get the point, and the FR500 class should be cool!

have they talked about 1/4 mile estimates?

i also think the class would be kind of boring with all the cars being similar...like funny cars. sure its cool to watch once or twice but not as entertaining as door slammers which are using spray, turbos, s/c and everything in between to create crazy fast "almost street" cars..

I agree. I'd like to see these up against the nostalgic drag cars or something similar, even though I'm sure there are rules against it.

In the video Chrysler posted, the Challenger launches pretty hard and judging the way it sounded going down the track I would guess it's a solid 10-second pass, maybe 10.40s to 10.80s, or at least that's my guess.

Any other takers? :rofl:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z2QXkoJlk3M

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info