Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
:hs:

[Autoblog]
It is never pleasant to report auto-related tragedies. Thats why it's particularly saddening to report the death of NHRA driver Scott Kalitta, who suffered a horrific crash during Funny Car qualifying at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ on Saturday. Witnesses pegged his speed to be in the range of 300 mph when his engine exploded, engulfing the car in flames. Kalitta was the '94 and '95 Top Fuel champion and his presence will certainly be missed in the NHRA. He is survived by his wife and two sons. We extend our deepest condolences to Mr. Kalitta's family and friends.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
the video of it is pretty scary...his engine grenaded and engulfed the entire car in flames, melting the chutes and preventing the car from slowing down. It hit the embankment at the end of the track, broke through the safety net, and launched into the woods.

I also heard unconfirmed reports that his motor kept going and took out some other people, but I'm not sure that's true or not.

Shitty situation either way...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i don't follow that stuff at all, but i would think there needs to be a little more runway. just from the video, it looks like he hit a wall and then the car exploded.

I just looked at the track on google earth...

the slow down portion of the track is more than a half mile... its just at 2-300mph... that distance is covered rather quickly.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
yep...

It's enough distance when the car has chutes, when the chutes melt, brakes aren't gonna cut it.

Kalitta may well have been dead in the initial explosion anyway, so he couldn't hit any brakes if he was unconscious or already gone.

Bottom line though, no chutes = crash, I wouldn't be surprised to see fire resistant/proof chutes implemented because of this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info