đź“° Auto News Chevrolet Code 130R Concept

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
chevrolet-code-130r-concept-detroit.jpg

xlarge_f06f6bca4f033cbddacf321073d32609.jpg

General Motors would like to lure in younger buyers with a new small car that boasts more evocative styling. To that end, the company unveiled two new concepts at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show that may hint at things to come from Chevrolet. This is the first called the Chevrolet Code 130R Concept, which boasts a traditional coupe profile and seating for four. Subtle fender flares and an upright fascia help give the vehicle an aggressive, masculine presence, though GM says a production version could boast up to 40 miles per gallon.

Under the hood of the Code 130R, a turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine delivers 150 horsepower and 148 pound-feet of torque, and an eAssist system lends an electric hand when needed. The Code 130R also boasts either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. With a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout, the Code 130R would offer buyers an engaging drive and design in an economical and affordable package, if it were ever built.

While purely a concept at this stage, GM says a production version would likely carry a price tag of around $25,000. That would put the sports car in perfect fighting range with the likes of the Subaru BRZ and Scion FR-S should the Code 130R Concept ever make it to the factory floor. Hit the jump for the press release and check out our galleries of live and official photos.

[Autoblog]

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Want. I'd DD the shit out of it till it went out of warranty then swap in an LS and fuck shit up. And the 5th gen couldn't be closer to this size why???

Because count on GM to fuck up a perfectly good thing. I'm calling it now, it comes out and is front wheel drive. They're masters of taking seemingly good cars and completley fucking them up by making them front wheel.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Because count on GM to fuck up a perfectly good thing. I'm calling it now, it comes out and is front wheel drive. They're masters of taking seemingly good cars and completley fucking them up by making them front wheel.

X2, using that 1.4 motor in a rwd application would not work with the portfolio as it would only be in that one model, and they don't offer any other models that could make use of that motor in RWD configuration.

I think the 140S concept isn't bad looking, and is based on the Cruze platform so it could be sold as a cheap attractive coupe option next to the Cruze/Sonic.

lead-chevrolet-tru-140s-concept-detroit.jpg

If they could sell that for under 17K with the 1.4T motor in it, I bet it would sell like hot cakes despite being FWD.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
130 = mini camaro 100%, kinda dig it. Could have CRAZY potential.
140 = Civic Si, amirite? Still something slick about it though.

My Brief opinion rant:

The fact that the 130 is a mini camaro makes me think that GM will never build it, I don't hate it though.

The most affordable sporty coupe offering from GM right now is the V-6 Camaro at $23K, which leaves the cheap compact coupe market in the hands of competitors.

Autoblog: "While purely a concept at this stage, GM says a production version would likely carry a price tag of around $25,000."

I think a Variant of the 140S will hit the market because I bet GM could build it for under 20K with the Cruze or Sonic platform, and it could go toe to toe with the Civic Coupe/Veloster/Golf 3 doors/Etc, which has no direct competition from GM right now.

(Albeit GM was saying it would carry a pricetag of 25K as well, which for a compact 2 door with 150hp would be nuts to pay.)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Would it ride on the old solstice/sky platform?

That's the other reason why I think it won't be built, I was under the impression that the new A-series caddy would underpin the next Camaro, so they would need to use an even smaller variation of that frame, one that is completely unique, or the old Sky/Solstice platform. Any of those choices would probably cost quite a bit of money in R+D to get off the ground.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
They should still have the tooling laying around for the solstice and sky platform as I believe a variant is still be produced in Europe

Kappa platform, the US factory closed back in 09, I wonder what has become of that factory now?

*edit*

Looks like Fisker is going to end up using it after a quick search. Makes sense since the Fisker Karma uses the same Ecotec motor and RWD configuration as the Kappa cars did.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
My Brief opinion rant:

The fact that the 130 is a mini camaro makes me think that GM will never build it, I don't hate it though.

The most affordable sporty coupe offering from GM right now is the V-6 Camaro at $23K, which leaves the cheap compact coupe market in the hands of competitors.

Autoblog: "While purely a concept at this stage, GM says a production version would likely carry a price tag of around $25,000."

I think a Variant of the 140S will hit the market because I bet GM could build it for under 20K with the Cruze or Sonic platform, and it could go toe to toe with the Civic Coupe/Veloster/Golf 3 doors/Etc, which has no direct competition from GM right now.

(Albeit GM was saying it would carry a pricetag of 25K as well, which for a compact 2 door with 150hp would be nuts to pay.)

Das, there is so much fail in these posts. Please stick to your ford nut swinging. First off the ATS will be offered with a 2.0 turbo and N/A 4 cylinder so the accessory drive and cylinder head are already there for a RWD application. That's about all that has to done in order to adapt a FWD engine to a RWD. Also the Alpha platform was designed to be the most flexible RWD chassis GM has ever created. It will underpin the new CTS which will grow in size and possibly the 7 series fighter flagship Caddy. I'm sure it can be made small as well. That also has the possibility for it just to have the 2.0 in N/A form for the base and Turbo for the sport model. I agree that the 140S is more production ready but it seems like both cars were built with production intent. Young people aren't buying the new Camaro, this could be the answer. Looks like they also put Vette flags on it to convey performance.

KnightFan26917

Old Cars, Strong Hearts
Apr 28, 2009
Elgin IL

This ... EXACTLY.

I like the 130R concept. I've seen a few different name possibilities for it ... an odd combination of names, to be sure ... Chevette, Chevelle (which was inspiration for the sides...the video shows a Chevelle), Monte Carlo, Malibu.

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic
CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Do I really feel the way I feel?" __ Marc Cohn __ 'Walking In Memphis'

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
i like the new small GM cars i just hate their lack of horsepower. i wish they would put that regal GS motor in the cruze or something like that... all these 150hp "sport compacts" are lame

this. I test drove a cruze last week and the car was really nice. Interior looked great, nice features, but it was slow. If it was faster, I would have traded in my cobalt in a heartbeat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info