đź“° Auto News Honda to bring back the Integra or Prelude?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
a new integra would be sweet...unless the just rebrand it as the rsx again (the rsx was the integra in japan right?).

During a journalists' roundtable today with Honda CEO Takanobu Ito at the 2011 Tokyo Auto Show, the obvious highlight was the very last question. One of our colleagues asked Ito-san something like, well, Honda used to be known for its iconic affordable sports cars (CRX, Prelude, Integra), and now you've introduced all this new engine and transmission technology, so isn't there room for an affordable sports car that isn't a hybrid or an EV, a car that just uses a simple internal combustion engine?

CEO Ito's answer: "I completely agree with you. We have to prepare such a kind of car."

So there you go. Apparently, probably, hopefully, there is something with two doors that's better than the Civic Si, not at all like the CR-Z, and less expensive than the reborn NSX in the works. Who knows if it will be called Integra or Prelude, but really, what's in a name so long as the car is good to drive?

Ito wouldn't comment when we inquired about the reports that another NSX concept will debut in Detroit this January. Actually, he chuckled over that one and said, "Stay tuned."

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Honda has been behind their competition lately. In the 80’s and 90’s they were the Hyundai of the market. Churning out new cost effective products with cutting edge technology. Now they’ve become boring and are behind in technology. Their engine lineup is a bit weak HP wise and they haven’t invested in technology such as DSG’s and extra gears on their conventional transmissions.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Even so, they've been competitive without that technology. The Civic gets just as good mileage as cars with dual clutch transmissions. And with a five-speed auto as well. You can have all the tech in the world and still manage to fuck it up, like the Sonic with six-speed auto that gets 35 mpg on the highway, and Ford dual clutch transmissions that drive horribly.

What they've slacked on is sports car, or even sporty cars. The 2012 Civic Si is embarrassingly soft.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Honda has been behind their competition lately. In the 80’s and 90’s they were the Hyundai of the market. Churning out new cost effective products with cutting edge technology. Now they’ve become boring and are behind in technology. Their engine lineup is a bit weak HP wise and they haven’t invested in technology such as DSG’s and extra gears on their conventional transmissions.

They're coming out with a 7 speed dual clutch system coupled to a hybrid awd setup :dunno:

None of that has to do with a small 2 door sports car though

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Even so, they've been competitive without that technology. The Civic gets just as good mileage as cars with dual clutch transmissions. And with a five-speed auto as well. You can have all the tech in the world and still manage to fuck it up, like the Sonic with six-speed auto that gets 35 mpg on the highway, and Ford dual clutch transmissions that drive horribly.

What they've slacked on is sports car, or even sporty cars. The 2012 Civic Si is embarrassingly soft.

I was thinking about the Accord vs Sonata for example. The Sonata 2.0T is quicker than a V6 accord AND gets better mileade. My brother has an Accord V6 and it could definitely use another gear to help the engine. The V6 is also underpowered compared to the Sonata.

As for the Civic, it used to be a class leader but they've let competitors catch up and in some cases exceed the product overall.

Acura's product is the equivalant of Lincoln. They don't have a clear strategy to compete with the top luxury brands and heavily rely on badge engineering.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Sounds like Honda is working on some good stuff:

Known for its technology innovations, Honda’s R&D efforts have been somewhat lackluster as of late. The Japanese automaker appears to have turned a corner, however, announcing a long list of new engines and technologies.

Easily the most revolutionary is an electric SH-AWD system that will be paired with a new V6 hybrid powertrain and 7-speed dual clutch transmission. Essentially an evolution of the current mechanical Super Handling all-wheel drive found in models like the Acura RL and TL it uses two independent electric motors at the rear wheels, each producing 20 kW, operating independently of the front gasoline engine and hybrid system. Like the current SH-AWD system it can deliver more power to the outside wheel in a corner for maximum cornering performance – but there’s more. Rather than simply limit the power sent to the inside wheel in a corner, the system actually generates electricity at that wheel, sending it to the outside wheel. A car fitted with this new two-mode hybrid system would also be capable of an electric only acceleration at speeds of up to 40 km/h (25 mph).

Honda claims this setup delivers V8-like power and acceleration at fuel economy levels as good as or better than current four-cylinder engines. When questioned, engineers on hand at a demonstration event at Twin Ring Motegi commented that we should expect fuel economy to be roughly 30 percent better than a similar V6. Taking the Honda Accord as an example, the current model achieves a 20/30 mpg city/highway rating, so we can expect a a future product equipped with this system to deliver roughly 26/39 mpg – although that number is likely optimistic as a future product would most certainly weigh more than an Accord (this technology is destined for an Acura model), plus there’s the all-wheel drive factor.

The real focus, however, is on delivering performance with reduced fuel economy, a hybrid philosophy similar to that of Lexus. To emphasize this fact, Honda has developed it’s own 7-speed dual clutch transmission. Prototype models available to drive were absent of any self-shifting feature (be it with the gearshift or paddle shifters) but the use of such setups in a production model is highly likely.

So where will we see this impressive new technology? As usual, Honda was coy on specifics, but representatives present did indicate that the new E SH-AWD will arrive in a future Acura model – with the next-generation RL an obvious choice.

ef_vtak

Power of Dreams
Mar 25, 2009

I lol everytime hyundai is compared to 90s Honda. *disclaimer I am a Honda sack swinger....90s Honda at that* However, Hyundai does not have the racing pedigree nor the proper quality control that is going into their cars at this time. Exterior wise I find many of them to be quite attractive, more so that what Honda has produced lately save the Accord and Fit. After you get over the subjective looks Hyundai starts to not compare as well. Quality control is not there...ever wonder why there is such an abundance of 1 year - 2 year old Hyundais on the used car lots? New owners are not enjoying problem free ownership. Their 10 year 100k warranty is a joke, it covers very little and is not transferable. Their manual transmissions are horrendous in comparison to Honda, IMO makes the best true manuals in the sporty sub 35k area. And as far as the power numbers are concerned, Hyundai seems to be inflating their crank HP figures, their cars are not dynoing consistently and seem to be low on power. Whereas Hondas have always dialed in quite high. The last Civic Si rated at 197 or 198 crank hp was known to dyno mid to high 180s at the wheels stock. Show me another NA 2 liter that hits or damn near hits the 100hp/l mark. The K-series motor is now a decade old and still at the top of its class. Honda has been developing alot...continue on to my link below, I am excited for what is coming.

Well put, but I have to disagree slightly on the last bit. The 2012 CSi is a step almost sideways, for the first time it lost weight (thank god), and gained something like a 30% increase in torque (everyone has been bitching about this since 90s Hondas were popular), and the cable shifter on the mt is easily one of their best to date. On the flip side the engine grew quite large and lost its super high rev quality (still revs to 7xxx) which is not as big of a deal to me since the tq increase is so needed, the suspension is a bit too soft for this type of car, and the exterior isnt as appealing as the previous generation. As I first said its like they didnt really progress, some good attributes we have been craving for some time but they are offset by some not so appealing ones. As a side note remember that Honda had an entirely different Civic (much larger) designed in 2008 or 2009 that was supposed to be the 9th gen but it was scrapped after it was nearly finished. That car was significantly all done in two years when a normal full model change is done in 4 to 5.

In regards to the integra, I have heard rumors of a 4 door with Hondas new 4cyl motor that will fill the slot from the integra/rsx and be sportier than the tsx for 2013 with a coupe variant being released in 2014. Acura will undoubtedly release the car under an alpha numeric name whether it be rsx or other since that is their current brand identity.

and lastly what i actually came here to post:

================================================== ========================
News regarding the future Honda
================================================== ========================
According to Honda Press: http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/honda-nsx-tokyo-motor-show-2011-11-29

1. Direct injection on all motors
2. Atkinson cycle on low cam and high performance VTEC on high cam for smaller high-efficiency motors
3. CVT transmission for small, medium and large vehicles
4. 7-spd DCT transmission (leapfrogging the competition)
5. Electric SH-AWD system that can apply negative torque (ie, regenerative capacity) to help induce a higher yaw moment as well as provide higher efficiency (two electric motors on the rear wheels plus V6 gas motor and electric motor up front). Honda is saying V8 acceleration with 4-cylinder fuel economy - time will tell but this system also allows pure EV mode with no gasoline being used for slower speeds, which should be great in the city.
6. New hybrid system including plug-in capacity (claiming top of industry efficiency) for smaller cars
7. Whole new range of engines including a 3.5L V6 with more power than the range-topping 3.7L they employ now
8. Lightweight diesel engine (world's lightest in its class)
9. EV drivetrain for new vehicle class

(summarized post taken from s2ki website)

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Well put, but I have to disagree slightly on the last bit. The 2012 CSi is a step almost sideways, for the first time it lost weight (thank god), and gained something like a 30% increase in torque (everyone has been bitching about this since 90s Hondas were popular), and the cable shifter on the mt is easily one of their best to date. On the flip side the engine grew quite large and lost its super high rev quality (still revs to 7xxx) which is not as big of a deal to me since the tq increase is so needed, the suspension is a bit too soft for this type of car, and the exterior isnt as appealing as the previous generation. As I first said its like they didnt really progress, some good attributes we have been craving for some time but they are offset by some not so appealing ones. As a side note remember that Honda had an entirely different Civic (much larger) designed in 2008 or 2009 that was supposed to be the 9th gen but it was scrapped after it was nearly finished. That car was significantly all done in two years when a normal full model change is done in 4 to 5.

There is just way too much body roll on the new Si. It's steering and turn-in is great, and the engine is a blast with the newfound torque, but c'mon, you can't defend their suspension choice.

Have you driven one?

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
imo sports car = base model isn't built for fuel economy.

Honda needs a sports car but I think bringing back a RSX or prelude wouldn't really be a good idea. There's already a fwd 4cy coupe in the line up w the civic. It'd be like if ford built a smaller v6 rwd sports car.(although that'd probably sell lol).

What they need to do is go after the ft-86, they could just make it a more affordable S2000.

In the end though, its about $ and its cheaper for honda to build a econo box and put a better engine in it later and put a vtec sticker on it.

B serious

Regular
Jan 18, 2009
ILLNOISE
Honda pretty much became the new Toyota after 2009. Their lineup went soft and there's really nothing in there that even I would pine for. They're just selling their bread and butter: soul less commuter cars.

Whoever knows me knows that I love my Honda like I love my ganja and that I'll smoke your V8 like I smoke marijuana.....but the CR-Z is the only thing I'd walk into a Honda dealership and even be interested in at this point. I would go as far as to say that I would buy a new Focus before I bought new Civic. :eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info