Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
We're waiting patiently – very patiently – for the 2012 Focus ST to show up in the showroom of our local Ford dealership. Meanwhile, our friends around the world have been able to play with the top-tier Focus RS, and they're already waiting on the next generation. They won't have to wait much longer, though, as Ford in Australia has reportedly confirmed the next-gen RS.

The current Focus RS boasts 300 horsepower, all of which is sent to the front wheels. It sounds like a recipe for an intense forearm workout, but the Focus RS utilizes the revoknuckle front suspension setup to quell torque steer. Ford insists they can push power figures higher, and the next generation RS will aim to prove just that.

Look for the current RS' Volvo-sourced, turbocharged, 2.5-liter inline-five to be replaced with a higher-output version of the company's 2.0-liter EcoBoost four – the same engine that we'll be getting in the less-powerful Focus ST. As for exact power numbers, Ford's Australian bosses have said that output numbers as high as 350 or 380 hp are possible.

:x:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
We will never see the Top Tier focus. Why? Because no-one is going to pay $50k for a focus. If you run the conversions thats what these cars are costing in US money. The MSRP converted to US is $41,500 right now. Add tax/title/blah blah and you'd see $50k for a Focus.

People are gonna look at the Focus next a RWD sports car at the same price level and walk away.

I like them, I think they are cool. They are insane, mental cars. The theory behind them is the same that spawned Muscle cars. But they aren't cheap and compared with other offerings ford would have an uphill battle trying to sell an RS here.

The closest thing we have is the Cobalt SS/TC. As a performance platform it ranks as among the fastest FWD coupes on the Nurburgring with an 8:22. Just 2 seconds behind the Camaro SS.

Yep, thats a 260hp FWD car lapping 2 seconds behind a 426hp Camaro. Some might call that crazy talk. But every review and stat I've read about the Cobalt SS/TC makes me want one for a toy.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Interior fitment and feature wise? Yes. They are cheap econoboxes. But they are FAST econoboxes.

Which is the point. The Focus is an econobox, even if they paid someone to redo the interior so its luxurious the mental image of the Ford Focus as a cheap grocery getter will not change fast enough for them to bring the RS over in its UK spec form at a price people will be willing to pay.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
We will never see the Top Tier focus. Why? Because no-one is going to pay $50k for a focus. If you run the conversions thats what these cars are costing in US money. The MSRP converted to US is $41,500 right now. Add tax/title/blah blah and you'd see $50k for a Focus.

People are gonna look at the Focus next a RWD sports car at the same price level and walk away.

I like them, I think they are cool. They are insane, mental cars. The theory behind them is the same that spawned Muscle cars. But they aren't cheap and compared with other offerings ford would have an uphill battle trying to sell an RS here.

The closest thing we have is the Cobalt SS/TC. As a performance platform it ranks as among the fastest FWD coupes on the Nurburgring with an 8:22. Just 2 seconds behind the Camaro SS.

Yep, thats a 260hp FWD car lapping 2 seconds behind a 426hp Camaro. Some might call that crazy talk. But every review and stat I've read about the Cobalt SS/TC makes me want one for a toy.

You cannot do a straight conversion on cars from the the UK. It is just fact that the cars in the UK are just more expensive.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Alright I just did a conversion and comparison of price of a 5-door Focus...

A base model Focus in the UK will cost 15,555 pounds which converts to $25,807 at the current exchange rate. Now the price for the same 5-door Focus in the US would be $18,995.

When you figure how much the current US Focus is compared the UK version, and then take how much the Focus RS is, and do a simple equation, you get the Focus RS "should" cost just over $30K if brought over here.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010

http://www.chevrolet.co.uk/cars/corvette/

Base model vette is nearly $105k US dollars. Yep direct conversion!

e9fdfe25-80b2-447e-90d4-fb73e7d536a2.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info