đź“° Auto News Report: Lamborghini ditching manual transmissions

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/08/lamborghini-ditching-manual-transmissions/

lambo-center-cap.jpg

Lamborghini is apparently chomping at the bit to say arrivederci to the manual transmission. Motor Trend had a chance to speak with Maurizio Reggiani, Lamborghini's R&D director, and it appears that a manual gearbox doesn't fit into the automaker's plans for the future. The immediate future.

Per Reggiani, only one to two percent of the vehicles produced at the Sant'Agata factory come equipped with a row-your-own setup – a shockingly low percentage. Lamborghini's customers want fast cars, and the best way to ensure it delivers is by removing the human element from the gearchange equation.

A Gallardo replacement is expected next year, and Reggiani tells Motor Trend that it will be available only with an automated gearbox of some sort (the new Aventador makes use of an automated single-clutch seven-speed unit).

Has the manual transmission run its course, or is there still life left for those who hunt for the perfect heel-toe downshift? If the rumormill is correct, Porsche seems to think there is, but other automakers have been mum on development plans for three-pedal setups. What do you think? Mull it over and then sound off in Comments.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
It's Lamborghini that doesn't have a dead pedal spot at all right?

Other then the balboni edition they don't seem like a true performer but more like a status symbol. I dunno...other then the sound I never really cared for any of them.

Lambos are slow for the price, but I still love everything about them. Let's face it, nobody should take a 500k car on a race track anyways.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Rappers and Actors don't seem to me as people who would take a manual over an automated manual anyway, and if thats whos buying them then thats what exotic car makers will do. Ferrari uses it because they want to bring the racing tech to the streets so people feel like their 458 is a f1 racing car. Lamborghini has to stay competitive as well.

I think its BS tho, the GT2, ZR1, and ACR do just fine with manuals. Would they be even faster with an auto tho? maybe stick is on the way out...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info