đź“° Auto News Confirmed: Camaro ZL1 will have automatic option, offer ZR1 traction system

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
07-2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-1297267572.jpg

The 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 will go into production in the first quarter of next year, and now, Al Oppenheiser, General Motors' chief engineer on the Camaro, has confirmed a few details about what we can expect with the range-topping muscle coupe.

During the Camaro homecoming at GM's Oshawa pant, Oppenheiser stated that in addition to an automatic transmission option, the ZL1 will be available with the same Performance Traction Management system found on the Corvette ZR1. In the Corvette, PTM incorporates launch control, as well as the normal traction control, active handling and selective ride control systems.

What's more, Oppenheiser stated that the ZL1's output numbers will be higher than the originally estimated 550 horsepower. The ZL1 is powered by the same supercharged 6.2-liter V8 as the Cadillac CTS-V.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I was in Canada when they made the announcement and they gave us a tour of the factory and the supplier that builds the rear cradle. They had a ZL1 cradle and the diff and axles were HUGE. This car will be really fat so they need at least 575 hp. Also the auto is awesome news. The weight of these cars don't like the hit of a manual tranny on the track. We blew my buddies output shaft a couple weeks ago. A ZL1 with a stall and bolt-on's should be interesting.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I was in Canada when they made the announcement and they gave us a tour of the factory and the supplier that builds the rear cradle. They had a ZL1 cradle and the diff and axles were HUGE. This car will be really fat so they need at least 575 hp. Also the auto is awesome news. The weight of these cars don't like the hit of a manual tranny on the track. We blew my buddies output shaft a couple weeks ago. A ZL1 with a stall and bolt-on's should be interesting.

Larry's (GNXS) CTVS runs good with some simple bolt ons. I'd expect the ZL1 to do the same.

The auto is a good idea IMO. Many old timers don't want a manual. The GT500 only offers a manual, so it's a differentiator.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006

What are SS's running with a stall and bolt-on's?

Larry's (GNXS) CTVS runs good with some simple bolt ons. I'd expect the ZL1 to do the same.

The auto is a good idea IMO. Many old timers don't want a manual. The GT500 only offers a manual, so it's a differentiator.

I'm 32 and prefer the magic of an auto to having to deal with a clutch and row the gears. I don't think I would ever own a "standard shift" again, unless I got a fire sale deal on one.

Very much so, but it seems like my option is a dying breed with most people wanting the ease of an automatic.

:tear: I blame fat lazy america

I admit I am one "of them". When trolling used car ads and I see 6m or manual my first response is "UGH". My freind with 4 way better cars then me and no time to be on a forum board refers to manuals as "ruining a prefectly good car."

For the record his fleet is

2001 Ford Lightning with less then 30k
1996 Chevy Impala SS with 23K
2007 Ford Mustang GT with under 20k
1966 Pontiac GTO with I haven't a clue how many miles

I would say within 20 years possible only 20 percent of all driver would know how to drive a stick. I can, I just don't enjoy it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info