đź“° Auto News 2014 Mustang Rumors Abound

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The boys over at AutoExpress have divined the tea leaves, and tell us today that they've learned the 2014 Ford Mustang will, for the first time, ditch the decades-old live rear axle in favor of an independent rear suspension.

In addition, they claim that, in order to make the muscle car competitive globally, power will come from a new 2.5-liter four-cylinder EcoBoost turbo that'll make somewhere around 300 bhp, while a range-topping 500 bhp 5.4-liter V8 will be available, too.

A six-speed manual and auto transmission are likely to be offered with torque vectoring to keep the performance in check, while the handling is expected to be tuned by Jost Capito and his team at Ford's Global Performance Vehicles arm.

The car will also reportedly be smaller and lighter than the current model. And although the retro styling will remain intact, the interior will be significantly improved with higher quality materials and advanced technology.

Well, we already exclusively told you that Bill Ford's slipped the news we'll see an EcoBoost-equipped Mustang. But what about IRS? Is that a bridge too far? What do you think?

[Jalopnik]

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I don't think the 5.4L will make it in the next gen Mustang. IRS is rumored to be a go for 2014, but I don't believe it yet. When I see a 2014 IRS Mustang with my own eyes, I will then believe it. Ford was supposed to have an IRS rear in the S197.

I know Ford is working to take weight out of the Mustang. Ford was also rumored to have a high end Mustang to go after supercars like the GTR.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
It's about time they follow suit and ditch the truck axle. Everyone else has moved their performance based cars to IRS(see what I did there? :s00ls:)

I dont think the loyalists will be too happy with the I4. Bringing them back to when Ford tried killing it off for the Probe. I can see the V6 EcoBoost being a monster(just look at the 4200lb SHO with it) and obviously the 5.4 is as always.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I think that they've done a pretty good job with the current SRA, it competes pretty well with cars with much more sophisticated suspensions. Although I think if they want to really compete they need to move to the IRS and drop some weight.

As for the 4-cylinder turbo motor, IF they can make it light enough, i think that it would make a much better track and autocrosser. The V8 carries too much weight over the front axle.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
As for the 4-cylinder turbo motor, IF they can make it light enough, i think that it would make a much better track and autocrosser. The V8 carries too much weight over the front axle.

I'll take the V8. It's a really well balanced car. I'd like to see them do a V6 EcoBoost engine in the Mustang, but that would steal sales away from the GT.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I'll take the V8. It's a really well balanced car. I'd like to see them do a V6 EcoBoost engine in the Mustang, but that would steal sales away from the GT.

Right now its a well-balanced car, but once you start taking weight off, that starts shifting the weight forward. I am not saying that the V8 will just plow through corners, but personally I would like a lighter more nimble vehicle than one that is more powerful but not as dynamically balanced.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Right now its a well-balanced car, but once you start taking weight off, that starts shifting the weight forward. I am not saying that the V8 will just plow through corners, but personally I would like a lighter more nimble vehicle than one that is more powerful but not as dynamically balanced.

That's easy to fix, even in the current S197. The battery is in the front, simply move it to the rear and that shifts 40-50lbs from f/r.

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
4cyl turbo

Reminds me of rice

mustang, Rice ohh yeh

mustang_rice.jpg

riced+out+mustang.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijJgZWGO3VI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDrxvFmET8I

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
As good as the straight axle is in the S197, they need to switch to IRS to be taken seriously globally. Smaller, lighter and forced induction is the future for pony cars. If you want a big V8, drag oriented car buy now.

this, although nobody seems to believe it. As long as they stick to their word and drop the weight of this next Mustang, I'd be totally in for a 4 cylinder ecoboost.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I think that having a Lincoln version would be a HUGE mistake. We need to cut BACK on brand engineered cars, not add. The Mustang should stay a Ford product, and should advance into the 20th century with an IRS. The hardcore drag guys can always throw a SRA on there if they really wanted.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I think that having a Lincoln version would be a HUGE mistake. We need to cut BACK on brand engineered cars, not add. The Mustang should stay a Ford product, and should advance into the 20th century with an IRS. The hardcore drag guys can always throw a SRA on there if they really wanted.

I disagree, I think a IRS Lincoln Mark 9 would be a much better M3 fighter than a mustang for example. Leave the mustang as SRA to keep costs down, and sell a truly 'up market' Mustang to compete in higher brackets.

For arguments sake, alot of people are in a tizzy about the 2011 GT putting out similar numbers across the board as the BMW M3, but i highly doubt they are cross shopped... a Mark 8 Successor WOULD be cross-shopped with the 3 series BMW. Could probably be VERY profitable as well. Lincoln parts bin onto a Mustang platform they already have everything sitting right there except the sheet metal...

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Well it seems it'd just be like what GM is doing with the cts and camaro, they're essentially the same. Idk how well ctsVs are selling though or if lincoln has any interest in going after the V. It would be pretty entertaining if they did tho!

Lincoln already rebadges 100% of the cars and truck in their line up, why not do a rebadge mustang as well.

I disagree, I think a IRS Lincoln Mark 9 would be a much better M3 fighter than a mustang for example. Leave the mustang as SRA to keep costs down, and sell a truly 'up market' Mustang to compete in higher brackets.

For arguments sake, alot of people are in a tizzy about the 2011 GT putting out similar numbers across the board as the BMW M3, but i highly doubt they are cross shopped... a Mark 8 Successor WOULD be cross-shopped with the 3 series BMW. Could probably be VERY profitable as well. Lincoln parts bin onto a Mustang platform they already have everything sitting right there except the sheet metal...

My thought exactly

Well it seems it'd just be like what GM is doing with the cts and camaro, they're essentially the same. Idk how well ctsVs are selling though or if lincoln has any interest in going after the V. It would be pretty entertaining if they did tho!

Lincoln already rebadges 100% of the cars and truck in their line up, why not do a rebadge mustang as well.

Its the only car they have worth rebadging IMHO.

I hate brand engineered cars so much. I understand their need, but there are cars I feel that should be left alone from this. Corvette and Mustang especially

You have forgotten the Cadillac XLR?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info