đź“° Auto News Chevy Volt/General Electric? Obama conspiracy theory

I got this e-mail recently and figured I would share with the class:

Keep drinking the Obama and the Democrat's Kool-Aid!

Very Interesting

A classic case of govt interference in the market place which introduces corruption and graft when they try to select winners and losers among businesses.

The Chevy Volt MUST NOT be allowed to fail! The "Dirty Little Secret Behind the Chevy Volt."

Patrick Michaels is a senior fellow in Environmental Studies at the Cato Institute and the editor of the forthcoming "Climate Coup: Global Warming's Invasion of our Government and our Lives" as well as the author of several other books on global warming.
His Forbes column on the Chevy Volt is a case study in the nexus between big government corruption and big business rent-seeking. Michaels briefly recaps the well-known consumer fraud in which GM has touted the Volt as an all-electric mass production vehicle on the supposed basis of which its sales receive a $7,500 taxpayer subsidy, which still renders it overpriced and unmarketable. Michaels notes that "sales are anemic: 326 in December, 321 in January, and 281 in February." There seems to be a trend here.

Michaels adds that GM has announced a production run of 100,000 in the first two years and asks a rhetorical question: "Who is going to buy all these cars?" But wait! Keep hope alive! There is a positive answer to the question.
Jeffrey Immelt's GE will buy a boatload of those uneconomic GM cars. Here the case study opens onto the inevitable political angle: Recently, President Obama selected General Electric CEO Jeffrey Immelt to chair his Economic Advisory Board.

GE is also awash in windmills waiting to be subsidized so they can provide unreliable, expensive power. Consequently, and soon after his appointment, Immelt announced that GE will buy 50,000 Volts in the next two years, or half the total produced.

Assuming the corporation qualifies for the same tax credit, we (you and me) just shelled out $375,000,000 to a company to buy cars that no one else wants, so that GM will not tank and produce even more cars that no one wants. And this guy is the chair of Obama's Economic Advisory Board?

But of course. Michaels includes this hilarious detail in his case study: In a telling attempt to preserve battery power, the heater is exceedingly weak. Consumer Reports tests averaged a paltry 25 miles of electric-only running, in part because it was testing in cold Connecticut . (The [GM] engineer at the Auto Show said cold weather would have little effect.) It will be interesting to see what the range is on a hot, traffic-jammed summer day, when the air conditioner will really tax the batteries. When the gas engine came on, Consumer Reports got about 30 miles to the gallon of premium fuel; which, in terms of additional cost of high-test gas, drives the effective mileage closer to 27 mpg.
A conventional Honda Accord, which seats 5 (instead of the Volt's 4), gets 34 mpg on the highway, and costs less than half of what CR paid, even with the tax break.

The story of the GM Volt deserves a place in Business School curricula....but of course, it won't. It's a classic tale of the GOVERNMENT deciding what the public needs, not the marketplace.

PS.- Even the guy who sent this to me missed part of the point. What is the key reason for this action? To keep the UAW in business, because Obama owes them for his election. Starting to make sense yet?

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I have heated arguments about recycling with a friend of mine. He claims that it is uneconomical and a waste of energy and that we should stop and just throw everything away. My main point is that, even though it is expensive and less energy and cost effecient to recycle, there is going to come a time when we will need to have huge conservation in resources, and right now even though it is expensive, it will come down in price due to advancements and discoveries in technology and processes. This goes the same for electric cars. Right now they are brand new, the technology they are using is brand new not only is it going to be expensive, but its going to be unreliable. BUT you have to get through this expensive and unreliable patch so that advancements can be made and cheaper more reliable products can be produced. It's like HDTV's, when they first came out, they were absurdly expensive ($5K+), looked ok, and were pretty unreliable, now look, you can get a 50" HDTV for under $1k that looks really good. Sometimes supporting something, and sticking with it even though it doesn't seem worth it, will pay off in the long run.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
You know, I had this whole post expressing deeper thoughts and more intellectual ideas counter to what this tea bagger stated in the posted e-mail but it just got too long. So I'm just going to say that the e-mail's author is a near-sighted moron with little regard for the intellect of those who aren't as commited to the tea party as he is.

It's crap like this that makes me ashamed to admit that I'm more repulican than democrate.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
It's like HDTV's, when they first came out, they were absurdly expensive ($5K+), looked ok, and were pretty unreliable, now look, you can get a 50" HDTV for under $1k that looks really good. Sometimes supporting something, and sticking with it even though it doesn't seem worth it, will pay off in the long run.

Biggest difference though is that the market place demanded to have good, HDTV's. In the automotive markets, there is no such demand to drive product development...

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The volt is a fucking joke.

the volt is actually not a joke.... it is an amazing technological achievement that most people cannot even begin to wrap their head around how much engineering went into designing and executing. sure it is expensive but it has the ability to use ZERO gasoline... and if you charge it everyday and drive less than 40 miles a day like many people do, it gets better economy than any other car on the road (besides all electric cars) period. the thing that is a fucking joke is people that dont understand that after those initial 40 miles the car more or less gets similar mileage to a similar gasoline powered car. so on a long road trip, yes a prius may get better mileage.... but they are neglecting the fact that for 99% of peoples day to day commuting, the volt uses zero gasoline. also for a pure fuel economy to $$ comparison it may not be the best choice, but thats also neglecting the most important aspects of car buying... i.e. the styling, ride, interior, handling, comfort, entertainment.... i mean it is a damn nice car inside... nicer than the other big hitters in the hybrid/electric car scene... of course it costs more! complaining about the price being higher is like complaining that an acura TL is more expensive than a honda accord, even though they are similarly equipped. well no doubt the TL is a nicer car but for some people cannot understand the same situation with the volt and say, the prius.

and for the record i do think hydrogen is the future.... but in the much closer future plug in hybrids are going to be the norm. hydrogen is a good 15 years out just because of infrastructure alone.... not to mention the high cost of the fuel cells. of course the prices will drop, but by then plug in hybrids will be sub 20K cars

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
the volt is actually not a joke.... it is an amazing technological achievement that most people cannot even begin to wrap their head around how much engineering went into designing and executing. sure it is expensive but it has the ability to use ZERO gasoline... and if you charge it everyday and drive less than 40 miles a day like many people do, it gets better economy than any other car on the road (besides all electric cars) period. the thing that is a fucking joke is people that dont understand that after those initial 40 miles the car more or less gets similar mileage to a similar gasoline powered car. so on a long road trip, yes a prius may get better mileage.... but they are neglecting the fact that for 99% of peoples day to day commuting, the volt uses zero gasoline. also for a pure fuel economy to $$ comparison it may not be the best choice, but thats also neglecting the most important aspects of car buying... i.e. the styling, ride, interior, handling, comfort, entertainment.... i mean it is a damn nice car inside... nicer than the other big hitters in the hybrid/electric car scene... of course it costs more! complaining about the price being higher is like complaining that an acura TL is more expensive than a honda accord, even though they are similarly equipped. well no doubt the TL is a nicer car but for some people cannot understand the same situation with the volt and say, the prius.

and for the record i do think hydrogen is the future.... but in the much closer future plug in hybrids are going to be the norm. hydrogen is a good 15 years out just because of infrastructure alone.... not to mention the high cost of the fuel cells. of course the prices will drop, but by then plug in hybrids will be sub 20K cars

The Volt would not sell well without the Gov't tax credit. Americans (in mass) do not want hybrids. We are addicted to the internal combustion engine.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

Yes for short trips its ok. But imo its still a pathetic first try. And the technology in it isnt impressive at all, far from an achievement. Tesla has had their roadster out for awhile and it can go over 200 miles on one charge. And is fast as fuck. and all chevy can do is 40 miles? Pathetic. Chevy just put this out to try n steal some of the prius market. If they were going for technological achievement then the volt would go at least 200 miles.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Yes for short trips its ok. But imo its still a pathetic first try. And the technology in it isnt impressive at all, far from an achievement. Tesla has had their roadster out for awhile and it can go over 200 miles on one charge. And is fast as fuck. and all chevy can do is 40 miles? Pathetic. Chevy just put this out to try n steal some of the prius market. If they were going for technological achievement then the volt would go at least 200 miles.

Yeah and how is Tesla, as a company, doing these days?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
The tesla is a bad ass performing car with neck snapping exceleration.....but I believe they're losing money on every one sold. Their "money maker" is going to be an electric sedan.

Either way they're both backed by government money and are completely different.

I wouldn't want to drive the tesla for 200 miles....it's cramped and uncomfortable.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I garauntee they could easily make a more advanced, better performing car. Problem is nobody would be able to afford it

The problem with GM is that they spent a boatload of money on a "niche" vehicle, while their mainstream sedan lineup that makes them money is really dated. GM needs to invest in models that will make it money.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
Where's the flying cars I was promised as a kid?

I WANT MY GOD DAMN FLYING CAR!!!

314.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info