đź“° Auto News Tesla sues BBC for libel over rigged Top Gear test

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm glad Tesla is doing this. I'm a huge fan of Top Gear and have been for a long time but they're more infotainment than actually informative. It's more about making an entertaining show than reviewing cars.

tesla-vs-top-gear-630.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/30/tesla-sues-bbc-for-libel-over-rigged-top-gear-test/

Let's put this out there: Tesla Motors is a feisty little company. When General Motor tried to trademark "range anxiety," the electric automaker said, "You can have it." Tesla has also had a long-standing beef with the BBC TV show Top Gear, largely because of that memorable 2008 review of the century's first real modern electric vehicle. If you don't remember, that was the show where the Roadster supposedly ran out of energy on the track. The two groups have sniped back and forth over time, but Tesla did what Tesla does and sued Top Gear yesterday for "libel and malicious falsehood" (See the PDF complaint).

Tesla's point is that Top Gear had an idea in mind (that electric vehicles are lame) and staged the show to prove it. On Tesla's blog site, Vice President of Communications, Ricardo Reyes, writes:

The show's script, written before the cars were tested, has host Jeremy Clarkson concluding the segment by saying, "in the real world, it doesn't seem to work." ...

Yet the show continues to air. ... The programme's lies are repeatedly and consistently re-broadcast to hundreds of millions of viewers on BBC channels and web sites, on other TV channels via syndication; the show is available on the Internet, and is for sale on DVD around the world.

Not the kind of thing you want repeated, and Reyes says that potential customers still ask Tesla staff about the show's claims, so the staged event has entered the popular mindset. Naturally, a Top Gear spokesman told the BBC news department, "The BBC stands by the programme and will be vigorously defending this claim."

Just because something is interesting to watch on TV does not mean it's true, of course, and in this case the courts will have to figure out what really happened. Us? We're wondering why it has taken Tesla around two years to get around to filing a suit. Either way, you can watch the Top Gear clip in question after the jump. Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DfHyGD7_pM

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Another lame lawsuit. Everyone knows that TG is an entertainment show. Hell the amount of information on tv, news, and publications that is factually incorrect is huge.
This isn't entertainment. It's outright lying. I love Top Gear, not so crazy about Tesla but if what they're saying is accurate then yes, it was a blatant mis-representation of their product.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Apparently prospective Tesla owners don't. TG attracts a lot of non-car people viewers. Most I know who watch are car people aware that it's staged but there are a lot who take TG's word as an authority.

You can pickup the Tribune, Newsweek, C&D, Time, insert publication here and there are entertainment articles that aren't 100% factual. Even the factual new articles contain errors. I mean what's next? Chrysler suing C&D for making fun of their cheap interior trim? Or Ford suing Motor Trend for making fun of the Mustang's solid rear axle?

Instead of suing Top Gear, Tesla should do a better job marketing their product.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'm with Tesla, if the facts are accurate. If the tests are rigged to make the car look bad, I would think that Tesla should have a legal recourse.

I don't think it's fair comparison. A media outlet saying that a car's interior looks cheap versus a blatant rigged test. A car's 'ugly' interior is just an opinion. Having a car deliberately malfunction is a completely different story.

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
A friend had one for the weekend and drove it all around the city. No issues.

It hauled ass too!

The only one I've seen lasted 1 20 minute track session and then had to be pugged in for many hours (I have no idea how 'full' it was before that session though).

I've seen that same one 'plugged in' at the same track different days but did not witness it back out on the track again.

I have a feeling the car does much better in daily driving than in track use obviously! ..but lets face it, just standard fuel is MORE when on the track (heck, I remember seeing a whopping 4mpg with my former Turbo car during a 20 minute track session!)

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Top Gear is entertainment though. It's not meant to be 100% factual. I mean Ford could easily sue them for Libel as well. So could a lot of manufacturers.

This is what Tesla is claiming:

Top Gear misrepresented that:

1. The Roadster ran out of charge and had to be pushed into the Top Gear hangar by 4 men.
2. The Roadster’s true range is only 55 miles per charge (not 211).
3. One Roadster’s motor overheated and was completely immobilized as a result.
4. The other Roadster’s brakes were broken, rendering the car undriveable.
5. That neither of the two Roadsters provided to Top Gear was available for test driving due to these problems.

I see that as a different claim than if Top Gear says the Mustang drives like shit because of its antiquated axle design.

I guess it comes down to whether Top Gear discloses that it's not to be taken as factual in fine print in the credits somewhere. I couldn't tell you if that exists.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
It's like the f40 and 959 that broke down. Except those were old models that they probably had no intention of letting the stig beat the hell out of.

The tesla being a current model and getting bad unwarranted publicity isnt very fair. At least test it and say it pushes in corners or feels heavy when driving etc.

TG is known for their distaste of electric cars, they allways bash the Gee Whiz electric car. They are all about the art/hobby of driving, and usually electric cars don't fit in to that stigma. I have driven a Tesla and it was a nice car, and it didn't fit the mold of the typical electric car. I don't agree with TG's representation of the Tesla, but i seriously doubt that tesla will be severely hurt by their accusations. Teslas attract a certain group of buyers that want a Tesla, not a two seat roadster.

Top Gear is entertainment though. It's not meant to be 100% factual. I mean Ford could easily sue them for Libel as well. So could a lot of manufacturers.

Most people don't know that. Average consumer isn't a car-geek.

Either way, this is like slander, only deals with companies and products. TG spread false information to misrepresent the vehicle and the company.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Most people don't know that. Average consumer isn't a car-geek.

Either way, this is like slander, only deals with companies and products. TG spread false information to misrepresent the vehicle and the company.

I don't disagree, but like I mentioned many media outlets do the same. I can tell you why Tesla is doing this....Free publicity.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
http://jalopnik.com/#!5789157/elon-musk-on-top-gear-it-was-fucked-up

Elon Musk on Top Gear: "It was fucked up"

Justin Hyde — Elon Musk on Top Gear: "It was fucked up"After launching the public relations campaign/lawsuit against Top Gear last week over its withering test of the all-electric Tesla Roadster, Tesla CEO Elon Musk finally spoke out today. His reason for suing? Tesla's investors kept asking about it.

Speaking to The Detroit News after a speech in Washington earlier today, an agitated Musk compared Top Gear, the BBC motoring show, to Milli Vanilli, repeating the claims in Tesla's lawsuit that the show had decided to pan the car before it tested it, a contention Top Gear producer Andy Wilman rebutted here on Jalopnik this weekend.

"For European investors, every single one, except one, specifically asked us why our car broke down on 'Top Gear'," Musk said. "It was fucked up." (The Detroit News changed the word "fucked" into "messed" for their copy. — Ed.)

Musk also said the BBC had apologized to Tesla, but had kept airing the show with no changes: "If somebody punches you in the face and says sorry and then keeps punching you in the face, what are you going to do? It's just wrong."

Musk's ask to stop the fight? Have the episode dropped or altered with a disclaimer, something that's been rejected by the BBC and Top Gear so far.

While Musk has steered Tesla to the point where a Wall Street analyst considers it America's fourth great automaker-in-waiting, the company has yet to turn a profit, and won't until after the Model S sedan goes into production next year. Until then, it has to survive on sales of the Roadster, especially in foreign markets where "Top Gear" is most popular. Regardless of the legal outcome, Musk gives Tesla some added marketing simply by stepping into the ring.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info