Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/29/rumormill-kimi-raikkonen-heading-to-nascar/

What does a U.S. president do after he's finished his term in office? Whatever the heck he wants. That's because he's already reached the top of his game and has nothing left to prove but to use his considerable influence and experience towards whatever end he chooses. The same might be said of a Formula One World Champion. Take Kimi Raikkonen, for example, who won the title in 2007. He turned his back on F1 when he'd had enough, and is now trying his hand at rallying in the World Rally Championship. But if the latest reports are any indication, the Finnish driver has had enough of that, as well, and is eager to try something new.

That something, according to the latest reports from his home country, is NASCAR. Now, we could chalk this up to a slightly premature April Fool's Day gag, but if accurate, Raikkonen could be preparing an assault on America's oval speedways. The report alleges a new team under Kimi's ICE 1 Racing banner is being established in conjunction with Foster Gillett – the sports arm of American businessman George Gillett's enterprise that formerly owned the Montreal Canadiens (the winningest team in all of professional sports), the Premier league Liverpool Football Club, and Richard Petty Motorsports (previously known as Gillett Evernham Motorsports).

If the reports prove accurate – and we're still taking this with a big grain of salt – Raikkonen will start off in the Craftsman truck series before moving up to the Nationwide series and finally the top-tier Sprint Cup. In doing so, he'd be joining his old McLaren teammate Juan Pablo Montoya, as well as fellow former champion Jacques Villeneuve in migrating from F1 to NASCAR. Watch this space for more as it emerges.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90331
Raikkonen to compete in NASCAR

By Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 13:49 GMT

Former Formula 1 world champion Kimi Raikkonen will make a surprising move to NASCAR this year, the Finn joining the series with a new team.

According to the Turun Sanomat newspaper, Raikkonen - the 2007 world champion - will be racing with the new ICE1 Racing team in the Truck series before moving on to the Nationwide and Sprint Cup series.

He is expected to join the championship from this summer, although no dates are yet confirmed.

Raikkonen will be joining forces with Foster Gillett, who will be a major partner of the team, having worked with Richard Petty Motorsport in NASCAR last year.

Foster's family owned the Montreal Canadiens' NHL franchise and are also former co-owners of the Liverpool football club.

"I'm really looking forward to get there to familiarise to the world of NASCAR," Raikkonen was quoted as saying by Turun Sanomat.

"I have been following it for a long time. I know, it's a very tough and open, top racing series. I just love the American spirit of racing. It feels just great to get involved with that. Obviously, it will be very challenging and great fun for me."

According to the newspaper, the negotiations about which car the ICE1 Racing team will run are about to be completed.

Raikkonen will continue to compete in the World Rally Championship this year, where he has a deal for eight events.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
hasnt nascar been getting buttfucked financially lately tho? attendance down, ratings down? or is that back on the rise?

I think your right on this Mook. NASCAR announced they wouldn't be making a stop in St. Louis this year, so the Gateway International Raceway pretty much is shut down until the current owner sells it.

Seems to me this might be a bit of a try to get people watching again?? See if the best drivers from other classes can "hang" with the good ol American boys.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
and the rumors are true.

Former Formula 1 champion Kimi Raikkonen will run a limited schedule in the Camping World Truck Series for Kyle Busch Motorsports in 2011. Raikkonen's debut is scheduled for May 20 in the N.C Education Lottery 200 at Charlotte Motor Speedway as owner Kyle Busch's teammate.

Raikkonen's nine-year F1 career saw 18 wins, 62 podium finishes and the 2007 Drivers' Championship. Since leaving the sport in 2009, Raikkonen has campaigned in World Rally Cross with his own team ICE 1 Racing.

Raikkonen's debut for KBM will be the first step in what the champ hopes will be a successful transition from open-wheel and rallying to NASCAR, a switch that fellow F1 champ Juan Pablo Montoya made in 2007. Raikkonen's sponsorship deal hasn't been revealed yet, but will be announced before the start of the Charlotte race.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Yz4l6.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info