đź“° Auto News OnStar goes aftermarket, coming to Best Buy in spring

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
I am just now finding out about this .. And I run one of the top 20 install bays in the company Guess I should spend more time on our forum and less time working on cars and fucking around on tcg LOL

General Motors' OnStar division has been nothing short of a major success story over its 16 years of operation. But if there's one major problem that has historically stood in the way of it becoming an automotive technology juggernaut, it's that OnStar has always been limited to just GM vehicles. Until now.

Coming to a Best Buy near you in the spring of 2011 will be a complete standalone OnStar package housed in one aftermarket mirror. For $299 (plus an estimated $75-$100 for installation and a service plan starting at $18.95 a month or $199 a year), you'll get the whole suite of features offered by OnStar, including:

* Automatic Crash Response
* Link to Emergency Services
* Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance
* Turn-by-Turn Navigation
* Roadside Assistance
* Hands-Free Calling

This standalone system includes everything needed to get your non-GM (or non-OnStar-equipped older GM) car or truck hooked up to the OnStar network. Installation involves removing the old rear-view mirror, installing the new one and running a power line – which supposedly takes less than an hour and will be handled by trained technicians from Best Buy, though other retail locations seem likely in the future.

trained technicians from Best Buy,
^^ made me LOL

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/04/onstar-goes-aftermarket-coming-to-best-buy-in-spring-of-2011/

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I wish the '09 G8 came with the Blue Tooth enabled OnStar. It only came on the '09.5s :( Hand free through the factory system is awesome!

But I refuse to pay another $300 for a new unit, $100 for installation, and then a service fee each month.

I'd be interested in the service if it was cheaper.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• JDHedman
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list