Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
2012 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback - Click above for high-res image gallery

General Motors has officially yanked back the sheets on the newest sub-compact from Chevrolet, the 2012 Sonic. Just don't call it the Aveo. The five-door hatch and four-door sedan are set to be officially unveiled later today at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show, but the Bow Tie brand has been kind enough to share the skinny on this vehicle that's supposed to tango with the likes of the new Hyundai Elantra and the Ford Fiesta. The Sonic will be available with a standard 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine, though buyers can opt up for a turbocharged 1.4-liter producing 138 horsepower, which GM underscores is 18 ponies more than the Fiesta. Shifting duties are handled by either a five-speed manual transmission or a six-speed automatic gearbox.

In fact, it's clear that The General had its sights locked on the Fiesta from the get go. The Sonic hatchback packs more back seat room than its Blue Oval competitor and, with the rear bench folded flat, delivers more cargo room, as well.

GM also put plenty of effort into the suspension by tasking the geometry gurus responsible for the Corvette's mighty grip. Up front, the Sonic benefits from a MacPherson strut design, while a torsion beam handles suspension duties out back.

There's also plenty design-wise to differentiate the Sonic from its homely predecessor, including a more aggressive front fascia with massive headlight arrays. Judging from the photos, the biggest changes are indoors, where a stylish cockpit replaces the bland, bargain plastics of the Aveo. Stay tuned for live photos from the show floor of the 2011 Detroit Auto Show and hit the jump for the full press release.

05-sonic.jpg

03-sonic.jpg

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Unless its the value price incentive leader, which GM doesn't want the Cobalt..er Cruze to be.

Comparing the cruze and the cobalt? You obviously have no idea at all what you are talking about. The cobalt is the biggest shitbox I have ever seen as far as "modern" cars are concerned. The cruze is among the best and is GM's best selling car

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
this sonic is a great little car for sure. GM's really stepped up it's eco car lineup. if you've driven the cobalt/aveo, and the new cruze/sonic there is no comparison.
fiesta is alright, except for it's horrid powershift transmission. way to go ford, make a dual clutch transmission that slows the car down, feels like it's a slipping pile of shit, and leave out steering wheel paddle shift. :retard:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
They're nice.... Seen one optioned up with leather/ nav/ etc over at grossinger chevy before they released, not sure if that carries over to the post production models, but I was definatley impressed by the car. GM is really starting to kick ass again... now if only they made a sub 30k sports car that wasn't heavy as balls and had as many blind spots as Ray Charles...

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Comparing the cruze and the cobalt? You obviously have no idea at all what you are talking about. The cobalt is the biggest shitbox I have ever seen as far as "modern" cars are concerned. The cruze is among the best and is GM's best selling car

Have you ever read his arguements regarding the Ranger and Panther platform cars? Sometimes I think he is not quite right in the head

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I am not in the market currently, but I just wanted to bring up the interior. My fiance has an 04 accent, and the thing is a POS, and a turd. I know Hyundai has kicked it up since then, but the Sonic in comparison to even the 04 Accent is leaps and bounds when it came to space alone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info