đź“° Auto News 2011 Porsche 911 Speedster

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I'm not much of a foriegn car fan but I have always liked Porsche. For some reason I find this car awesome. Maybe it's because it reminds me of building a 911 slant nose model with my older cousin. IMO the only way to make it better would be to revive the slant nose. Beautiful car though.

lead1-2011-porsche-speedster-fd.jpg

lead2-2011-porsche-speedster-fd.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/23/...dster-first-drive-review-road-test/#continued

It's rare. It's fast. It's expensive. Meet the 2011 Porsche 911 Speedster. First shown in October at the Paris Auto Show, the $204,400 humpbacked 911 arrives at U.S. dealerships early next year.

On paper, the rear-wheel-drive 911 Speedster appears to be a heavily optioned 911 GTS Cabriolet, albeit one with a bubbled tonneau cover. Having just driven the new GTS with the 408-horsepower 3.8-liter flat-six and Turbo-width rear track, we knew going into this drive that the uprated equipment makes a good foundation for the Speedster. Building on the GTS' enhanced mechanicals, the Speedster also gets the seven-speed PDK dual clutch, Sport Chrono Plus, Porsche Active Suspension Management and Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes. Take it or leave it, this is the only way the Speedster comes.

But so much for on-paper specs. To find out what the 911 Speedster is like on the road, we headed to Palm Springs, California for a mid-winter desert blast.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
i think this is the most important part of the article:

While the 2011 Porsche 911 Speedster is rare, fast and expensive, it's not the rarest, fastest or most expensive 911. This begs the question, "Is this car significant?" The reality is, it's not. It's just another pseudo-special 911 variant that Porsche is using to help boost revenue and keep the 997-generation 911 relevant until the next-generation 998 (or is that 991?) arrives in 2012.

Regardless of this truth, of the 356-unit production run, the 100 vehicles expected to hit U.S. shores ought to sell out quickly. This 911 will be important to some enthusiasts and collectors, meaning that once purchased, many will be immediately cloistered in private collections alongside other Speedsters from 1953, 1988, and 1993/94. Few will be driven regularly. But somehow, for this Porsche, this seems an appropriate fate – those who value driving more than manufactured provenance will probably buy a GTS anyway.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info