đź“° Auto News Awesome on so many levels... SVT Raptor Border Patrol

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/23/us-border-patrol-ford-svt-raptor-spy-shots/

ford-svt-raptor-border-patrol-630.jpg

What the U.S. Federal Government wants, the U.S. Federal Government gets. And what the Customs and Border Protection division of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security wanted were at least 10 Ford SVT Raptor pickup trucks to patrol the area where Arizona borders with Mexico. Only problem is that Ford puts a standard leather interior in all its Raptor trucks, which is evidently against the ordering preferences of the Feds.

So, what to do? Put in an extra-special order with Ford, make a few phone calls (give us what we want... or else...) and patiently await delivery – a truckload of specially liveried pickups that Autoblog reader Matt happened photograph and send in to us. We went ahead and contacted Ford to be sure that it managed to deliver the authorities the Raptors it wanted, and we got an affirmative... sort of.

Ford would need the actual Vehicle Identification Numbers of the trucks to confirm individual equipment levels, and we're not about to march on down to Southern Arizona to grab them. But Ford says the Feds did order Raptors without leather and that the Blue Oval Bosses complied. So we're going with a definite probably. Have a look for yourself below. Thanks for the pics, Matt!

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
Ford would need the actual Vehicle Identification Numbers of the trucks to confirm individual equipment levels, and we're not about to march on down to Southern Arizona to grab them.

No problem... I see these guys everywhere. I'll get VINs when I see one of these bad-boys!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
id rather have trucks that could take the abuse for an extra 10k... than ones 10k cheaper that would need constant repairs.

I have to confess, there is an 'intimidation' factor that I see no harm in spending extra money for.

My local PD has 5 ford expeditions, and a single explorer.

There is no, and I mean NO reason why they couldn't stick with explorers instead of spending the money for Expeditions instead since they don't tow, and don't even have 4X4.... but the Expeditions look straight scary Vs. the interceptors or explorer

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I think illegals will see anything with "U.S. Border Patrol" written on the side as intimidating :rofl:

If there's anything that could take the abuse of high-speed off-road chases day after day, the Raptor is that vehicle.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
Yeah somehow the others just don't seem to hold up.

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/archive/2007/August/Pages/BrdrPatStill2553.aspx

http://www.yumasun.com/articles/vehicles-57148-fleet-mechanics.html

Trying to find the story where one of the border patrol agencies basically bought a Raptor with their own money as they were sick of destroying civilian vehicles.

Just found it..

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1008_2010_ford_f_150_svt_raptor_on_patrol/index.html

:iough: oook then i stand corrected. go get em border patrol.

fancy.. i suppose the extra suspension goodies are nice, but i fail to see a real need for these 40k+ trucks for patrolling a barren wasteland.

i feel f-150s would have done just fine is all.
government excess at its finest.

EZRA dYERAS ARTICLE ON THIS WAS EXCELLENT!

id rather have trucks that could take the abuse for an extra 10k... than ones 10k cheaper that would need constant repairs.
YUP
I have to confess, there is an 'intimidation' factor that I see no harm in spending extra money for.

My local PD has 5 ford expeditions, and a single explorer.

There is no, and I mean NO reason why they couldn't stick with explorers instead of spending the money for Expeditions instead since they don't tow, and don't even have 4X4.... but the Expeditions look straight scary Vs. the interceptors or explorer
THE COST DIFFERENCE IS MINIMAL AND THEY ALL SUCK GAS LIKE CRAZY TO WHY NOT GO WITH THE BIGGER TRUCK THAT CAN TAKE THE ABUSE BETTER.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Another reason to hate politicians and how they WASTE our money. Apparently we're out of military surplus vehicles like Hum-Vees that are already paid for and just need to be refurbished and would be a hell of a lot cheaper. At this rate State Troopers will be driving ZR-1's or Vipers to catch speeders.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Another reason to hate politicians and how they WASTE our money. Apparently we're out of military surplus vehicles like Hum-Vees that are already paid for and just need to be refurbished and would be a hell of a lot cheaper. At this rate State Troopers will be driving ZR-1's or Vipers to catch speeders.

Humvees are fazed out why would the recondition them?
Those will all probably be sold at auctions for pennies compared to how much they cost new.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
There's a dude in Des plaines that has a tan H1 that looks like he just runs over anything and everything...totally beat to shit. I love it.

Stuff sells soo cheap at military auctions. I had dreams of picking up a deuce and a half 6x6 I've seen them sell on online auctions for $3-4k. My wife said no :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info