đź“° Auto News Motor Trend Tests Chevrolet Volt in LA Traffic, Mtns and 100F - Averages 127mpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
127 MPG: This Volt Story Must Be Told

2010-chevrolet-volt-front.jpg

Posted Yesterday 07:53 AM by Jonny Lieberman

Never mind the yellow journalistic brouhaha taking place on the internets in regards to the 2011 Chevy Volt. Here's why I'm so geeked on the Chevy Volt and why you should be, too. In normal, everyday driving we got 127 miles per gallon (fine, 126.7 mpg). Which is pretty amazing.

Broken down, over the course of 299 miles on Los Angeles highways, byways and freeways, the Volt burned 2.36 gallons of gasoline (fine, 2.359 gallons -- we rounded up). Most other cars use up a tank of gas going 299 miles. The Volt, to reiterate, used 2.36 gallons over 299 miles.

A couple of weeks ago I hopped into a fully charged production Volt with our tech guru Frank Markus and we set out on a little drive. The plan was to drive from the Motor Trend offices in El Segundo (near LAX) up and over some pretty serious mountain roads -- Big Tujunga Canyon and Angeles Highway -- before hooking up with Highway 14 and winding up in the desert city of Mojave. There was one catch however. Before we got to the 14, we'd avoid freeways completely in order to see how far we could push the Volt on battery only in stop and go traffic.

We took a wending, rambling, 45-mile or so circuitous route through the greater L.A. Basin, hitting such notable 'hoods as Miracle Mile, Fairfax, Korea Town, Silver Lake and Glendale. Frank drove first, and drove consciously. Part of the Volt's display is a little green ball on the right hand side. When you are driving as optimally as possible, the green ball shows three little leaves on it and spins. When you accelerate "too fast," the ball rises up the graph, the leaves disappear and the ball turns orange. When you go hard on the brakes the same thing happens, only the ball sinks. Frank did his best to keep the ball centered. Me on the other hand...

"Way to jack rabbit away into traffic," Frank chastised me as I hustled to get the Volt in front of an oncoming city bus. The good news is that the Volt behaves like a normal car; it even has a modicum of guts. The bad news is that after ten seconds, I'd already put a nice-sized dent in Frank's high-mileage effort. For the next forty minutes I gave Frank (he lives in Detroit) a guided tour of Los Angeles, not paying much attention to the Volt's floating eco-ball. Here's the neat part: at 36.3 miles, we ran out of battery-juice and the engine very quietly kicked on.

Once the engine turns on, the Volt drives exactly the same as it did in pure battery mode. Largely because it's still in battery mode. Remember, the Volt's internal combustion engine sends power to the battery, and that power then rotates the big electric motor (aka Traction Motor) that moves the car. True, over 70 miles per hour the motor clutches itself to the generator and helps power the wheels. Much OMG!-ink has been spilled over this fact, but we say big deal. Remember, that engine-assist makes the Volt more efficient, i.e. the entire point of the Volt.

At the end of the journey, we'd covered more than 120 miles. City, hard-core mountain roads and freeway -- we even took the Volt up to its limited top speed of 101 mph. Well, the speedo indicated 102 mph, but we were pointed downhill. Let me also mention that we had the A/C on because it was 100 degrees out. Factoring in the mountainous part of our romp, where Frank and I acted like utter hooligans and neglected (on purpose) to put the Volt in Mountain Mode, we still averaged 74.6 miles per gallon over 122 miles. Sure, that's less than the 126.7 mpg we got driving the car from the office to home, but it's still pretty dang good. Also, remember that if we had simply stopped driving when the battery went dry, our mileage was infinity.

Here's the big takeaway, the big payoff: We couldn't have done what we did in a Nissan Leaf. Not only is 120 miles past the Leaf's best-case scenario range, but in such heat and driven so aggressively, the Nissan's range would have shrunk considerably. With the Volt, the engine simply flicks on when you need more electricity. When the engine runs out of gas, you add more. As Kim Reynolds hyperbolically pointed out after he took the Volt over the Grapevine, "It would have taken weeks to make that drive in the Leaf." Wry Reynolds also suggested that with a little bit of hacking, you could use Volts to go and recharge dead Leafs.

The 127 mpg number we recorded is around five times the average mileage of other cars. So while the Volt does burn fuel, it burns 80% less of it. Quite the big fat hairy deal, no?

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
i think that 230mpg thing was because of the way they tested it.... they likely used a full charge on the battery to begin each test which drastically increased the rating, even so, the thing only costs as much as an average refrigerator to charge par year, assuming you drive 12K miles, gas free, a year.

what i find interesting is that the maximum stated battery only range by GM was 40 miles, less if you ran AC, radio, headlights, etc.... and even with him driving self-admittedly non cautiously with the AC on and in traffic and over hills they still got over 36 miles gas free.... thats a good sign.

all these things coupled with the most futuristic interior in any production car makes it a really hot buy.... i hope chevy sells these things as fast as they can make them.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
$33K for a $20K comparible car just to save gas money. In perspective, a similar economy car getting 28mpg (say a Corolla) verses the Volt getting 175mpg at a $13K premium; it would take almost 10 years for the Volt's economy to pay the difference driving 15K miles per year.

I agree that it is a great looking car and makes the Prius' carbon footprint look like a Chinese SUV but if I'm going to buy a car that makes a statement it'll be a 2011 Mustang GT and not some tree-hugging, friendship bead wearing, patchouli oil smelling soul hugging electric vehicle!

...it is kind'a cool though...

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
$33K for a $20K comparible car just to save gas money. In perspective, a similar economy car getting 28mpg (say a Corolla) verses the Volt getting 175mpg at a $13K premium; it would take almost 10 years for the Volt's economy to pay the difference driving 15K miles per year.

...it is kind'a cool though...

that argument is totally invalid though.... the corolla doesnt have navigation and the same level of interior and chassis refinments. when you look at it in terms of could you get a cheaper car and pay less in the long run well then yes, it doesnt win.... but lets say that you were gonna buy an accord or a taurus (cars in the same class with similar options) would you rather get 30mpg or 175?

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
If I wanted a refined small car I would be more inclined to look at a Lexus 250, Acura TL or a 1-series BMW...not a Chevrolet. I view those cars marketed on great energy savings as a means to save money and the numbers are what I weigh more than luxury. Further, I'm not confident in the reliability, longevity and the resale value of hybrid cars. For that, I need to see what the kids do to the cars once the movie stars and tree-huggers give them the keys when they hit driving age; if they can survive a few years of teenage driving then they'll be proven to me!

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I bet these won’t sell very well. Americans like their internal combustion gas engines and don’t want to plug their car in. Gas prices are currently fairly cheap, so until we see $5 a gallon gasoline prices American won’t make the switch.

You kidding, I'd bet droves of Prius owners will switch over for this as it is a little nice in and out, and much more efficient..... No this isn't going to move 250,000 units a year, but 100,000 - 150,000 volts a year wouldn't surprise me, look at current Hybrid sales, many current hybrids cost similar to the volt without the amount of refinement and options the volt has and they only offer 40 - 50 MPG... Not everyone wants a racecar

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I'll eye the Jetta TDI. They're $8K cheaper (with nav), proven to run well over 200,000 miles w/o large issues and are a larger vehicle.

I bet these won’t sell very well. Americans like their internal combustion gas engines and don’t want to plug their car in. Gas prices are currently fairly cheap, so until we see $5 a gallon gasoline prices American won’t make the switch.

05 GT, thats the beauty of this car... you still get massive benefits and never have to plug this car in.... people already buy prius' so why would this be any different?

theautoguy, have you seen the new jetta models? they are a major downgrade to what jettas used to be. they are making it an econo box, plus the jetta is a much smaller car... even then, 60mpg of diesel isnt 127mpg on gasoline

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info