Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The ongoing yarn about General Motors fielding a brace of rear-wheel drive flagship sedans based on a new generation Premium Zeta platform has hit the big time, with Motor Trend reporting that the platform will underpin a sport sedan for Chevrolet. Last month, the rejigged Zeta was touted as the basis for a flagship Buick that would finally, and properly, challenge Lexus. MT's report says there will be two wheelbases for this new Zeta, and that those two variants will do duty under a Cadillac, a U.S. Buick and potentially a Chinese-market Buick, and several Holden models along with the aforementioned Chevy.

As the basis for premium sedans, General Motors could spend the money to make it properly light and strong through the use of high-strength steels. The Chevy sport sedan mentioned would be "a kind of four-door Camaro" – Pontiac G8 GXP redux, anyone? – while the Buick only gets described as "cushier," and both would go on the shorter wheelbase Zeta.

The most interesting tidbit could be Cadillac's use of the long-wheelbase platform. MT prices a Cadillac flagship at between $125,000 and $140,000 and says the Zeta-based Cadillac, Whitacre's S-Class rival for the Crest-and-Wreath brand, will sit beneath it. If it all comes to pass, that would give Cadillac a larger CTS, then an XTS, then a properly sporting high-end luxury competitor, then a one-Caddy-to-rule-them-all ne plus ultra model by 2014 or so.

[Autoblog]

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Would be awesome if it were the size/weight of a Malibu, a midsize platform. Not another 4,000 pig. Though doesn't look likely with the Zeta platform.

Along those lines, I would really really like to see Ford do a four-door version of the Mustang. Not a Mustang sedan, but something like the Falcon but for us, and with the 5.0 :noes:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
i was telling the guys at work thast i think they should make a "caprice" out of the G8 and they all were like nobody would buy it because its RWD.... so i said yea, all those people who buy mercedes and BMW's must be morons right? and they replied that they are and must drive winter beaters that are fwd :picard:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i was telling the guys at work thast i think they should make a "caprice" out of the G8 and they all were like nobody would buy it because its RWD.... so i said yea, all those people who buy mercedes and BMW's must be morons right? and they replied that they are and must drive winter beaters that are fwd :picard:

you work with some winners evidently. jesus.

i hate that rwd no way in the snow mentality.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
im glad im not the only one who actually prefers RWD in winter... id rather have a controlled slide than not being able to turn at all

I agree 100%. With proper tires RWD>FWD in the snow. My RWD G does absolutely great in the snow. I'll glady have my steering available while I watch the idiot next to me with FWD powersteer into my lane.

I cant stand the FWD is better than RWD mentaility. FWD was developed because it saves weight, gas, and is easier/cheaper to manufacturer and develop multiple platforms. In other words, cheat and brainwash the consumer by saying FWD is better because its "safer", "smoother", and "more-reliable".

On topic..the current G8 would make an absolute, F L A W L E S S, next generation Impala. But nah....lets continue making FWD V8s...:picard:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
im glad im not the only one who actually prefers RWD in winter... id rather have a controlled slide than not being able to turn at all

yeah Im not saying one is better... but i mean my buddy had a 2wd tbss, and the thing was a snowmobile in the snow.

I agree 100%. With proper tires RWD>FWD in the snow. My RWD G does absolutely great in the snow. I'll glady have my steering available while I watch the idiot next to me with FWD powersteer into my lane.

I cant stand the FWD is better than RWD mentaility. FWD was developed because it saves weight, gas, and is easier/cheaper to manufacturer and develop multiple platforms. In other words, cheat and brainwash the consumer by saying FWD is better because its "safer", "smoother", and "more-reliable".

On topic..the current G8 would make an absolute, F L A W L E S S, next generation Impala. But nah....lets continue making FWD V8s...:picard:

who's making fwd v8s still?

and im down for a snow race in my pricks vs any rwd thing in this thread...

i was saying you can survive in the winter in something rwd...

my gtp is a straight up snow cat.

KnightFan26917

Old Cars, Strong Hearts
Apr 28, 2009
Elgin IL

Holy...crap.

For the last number of years, I've often felt I'm the only one that hates the "FWD is better than RWD" mentality that has permeated mainstream drivers since the "Big 3" started switching to FWD in the 1980s.

When I come across people that say "no way" to RWD in the winter, I generally ask them if their parents walked EVERYWHERE in the winter "back in the day". That usually ends the conversation/rant.

Except for a few very long years, I've driven RWD in winter most of my days ... and NEVER had a problem.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Rt 66+northwestUS, 2011?
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Confusing what is real" ... Linkin Park ... 'Crawling'

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
Honestly, even if they just slapped a chevy front bumper on the G8 and called it an impala... id be ok with that. Especially since the G8 isn't even made anymore.

And as far as driving rwd in the snow... I've done it the past 3 years with my trans am, but I would never do it by choice. I got a 97' civic that ill be picking up in a week or two that will be winter driven. My TA is way too low to the ground to attempt another winter.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Honestly, even if they just slapped a chevy front bumper on the G8 and called it an impala... id be ok with that. Especially since the G8 isn't even made anymore.

And as far as driving rwd in the snow... I've done it the past 3 years with my trans am, but I would never do it by choice. I got a 97' civic that ill be picking up in a week or two that will be winter driven. My TA is way too low to the ground to attempt another winter.

They already do in Many other markets... it is the Chevy lumina there

holden_exp03.jpg

Honestly, even if they just slapped a chevy front bumper on the G8 and called it an impala... id be ok with that. Especially since the G8 isn't even made anymore...

YES!!!!!!!!!!

They already do in Many other markets... it is the Chevy lumina there

holden_exp03.jpg

I'm cool with it...bring it!!!

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Holden on to the American dream

1_chevy-commodore_420-420x0.jpg

The Commodore is set to return to the US wearing Chevy badge

BRUCE NEWTON
November 20, 2010
www.drive.com.au

The Commodore looks set to regain its drawl, with US exports of the iconic Australian large car imminent, writes Bruce Newton.

The Holden Commodore appears odds-on to return to the US with a Chevrolet badge and it should happen within the lifespan of the current model.

A senior engineer for General Motors, Al Oppenheiser, confirmed to Drive at the Los Angeles motor show this week that negotiations were under way to sell the Commodore in North America as a Chevrolet sports sedan.

"We are definitely looking at that, although we have made no official announcement as yet," Oppenheiser said. "We are definitely looking at doing something with Holden for the retail market."

Another GM source, who did not wish to be named, went further and said the export deal had been approved. "But you didn't hear me say that," the source said.

The VE Commodore was previously exported to the US as a Pontiac G8 with V6 and V8 engine options. That program ceased when GM crashed into bankruptcy last year and the struggling Pontiac brand was killed off.

The axing of the deal cost Holden millions of dollars in lost exports and placed the future of the Elizabeth plant and Holden itself in danger.

"What we are looking at is bridging a gap in the performance sedan market that was vacated by the Pontiac G8," Oppenheiser said. "With no Pontiac, our lone performance brand is Chevrolet.

"So the Commodore Zeta 1 architecture offers us so much with rear-wheel-drive performance. The synergy between motor compartment packaging of the Commodore and HSV products versus what we do here with Camaro and Corvette means the opportunities are endless."

A spokesman for Holden, Jonathan Rose, is circumspect when asked about a new Commodore-based export program.

"We have made no secret of the fact that we're pursuing new export opportunities for our local product," he says. "At this point in time our focus is on exporting the Caprice to North America as a law enforcement vehicle ... beyond that we don't have anything to add right now."

But Holden's stocks in the global organisation have soared in recent years with the appointment of two former Holden managing directors to senior positions within the GM global empire.

Mark Reuss is president of GM North America, while his successor in Australia, Alan Batey, is head of sales and service for Chevrolet.

With homologation work on a left-hand-drive Commodore largely completed through the Pontiac G8 process, legalising the Commodore for North America would be relatively painless. Exchange rates, currently at parity, present a bigger stumbling block.

While Holden has developed a long-wheelbase performance model for the US police market, based on the Caprice, Oppenheiser said it is more likely that a car for the retail market will be based on the short-wheelbase Commodore.

"The police told us they wanted the long-wheelbase in the rear for the crooks but I have a hand in what we do with Holden and I don't think we would do long-wheelbase [for the private market]."

He also rejected US media reports that the rear-wheel-drive architecture would be pressed into service in GM's other passenger vehicle brands, Cadillac and Buick.

"No, we have other architectures coming for those brands," he said. "The Zeta platform is basically going to be Chevrolet and Holden only."

Oppenheiser, who is the vehicle chief engineer for Camaro, was at the LA show launching the convertible version of the iconic car. Like the hard-top coupe, it is based on the Commodore's Zeta architecture. As with the coupe, it won't be converted to right-hand-drive.

"That's one of the disappointments of my tenure here, that we didn't do a right-hand-drive version," Oppenheiser said.

"We had two goes at it and it got cancelled twice. It's a pity, because the UK wants it too."

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Holden/GM spent nearly $5 billion back in 2003 to build a section onto the Holden plant to make left-hand drive vehicles for the U.S. (the GTO). When that ended, They made the G8. They will come up with another one to sell in the U.S. as well. Since they spent all that money to make the section, They will find a way to use it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info