Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
It's been rumored for far too long, and now it's finally coming into focus. The 2012 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 has been caught by the long lens of Priddy & Co., complete with ultra-wide tires, a revised exhaust, intimidating hood bulge and a sizable front splitter. But how do we know what's under the hood?

The shooters caught the high-po Camaro with its passenger door open, and stuck on the plastic dash is a piece of paper that reads "2012 Chevrolet Camaro, 6.2L SC V8, 6AT." Break that down and it means the Z/28 is packing the same 6.2-liter supercharged V8 LSA fitted to the 556-horsepower Cadillac CTS-V, mated to a six-speed automatic. Naturally, a proper manual will be available as well when the Z/28 goes on sale sometime next year.

Lots of pics
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2134330&postcount=1

0zegG.jpg

GF647.jpg

GKiUb.jpg

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Why would you go backwards and put a SRA on? This car will handle perfectly fine. Does the CTS-V not handle well? The Z28 has the V's powertrain, brakes, and is a bit lighter. The Z28 will handle it's own.

Everything I have ever read says that even though it has an independent suspension, it's garbage, GM just didn't set it up all too well. It is very evident as the new Mustang is able to outrun it by significant amounts on all handling tests. If they went to a properly set-up live axle, they could have kept costs down, weight down, and I think kept it as a truer muscle car/pony car. Instead of a bloated, soft, expensive, ugly turd.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Everything I have ever read says that even though it has an independent suspension, it's garbage, GM just didn't set it up all too well. It is very evident as the new Mustang is able to outrun it by significant amounts on all handling tests. If they went to a properly set-up live axle, they could have kept costs down, weight down, and I think kept it as a truer muscle car/pony car. Instead of a bloated, soft, expensive, ugly turd.

Weight is the major issue with the Camaro due to the Zeta platform. Like I mentioned, the CTS-V handles well with its setup so I am sure this will turn out well.

Ford’s done a great job with the SRA in the S197, but they are still selling the platform short by not utilizing an IRS rear. The S197 platform was designed for an IRS rear. I am hoping that in the near future we see a Boss or Cobra R with an independent rear.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Weight is the major issue with the Camaro due to the Zeta platform. Like I mentioned, the CTS-V handles well with its setup so I am sure this will turn out well.

Ford’s done a great job with the SRA in the S197, but they are still selling the platform short by not utilizing an IRS rear. The S197 platform was designed for an IRS rear. I am hoping that in the near future we see a Boss or Cobra R with an independent rear.

I have heard that some nameless ford exec axed the IRS on he S197 platform because he said it would've cost them an extra $100 per car. But down the line it was figured that it would've actually saved money. However Ford has shown that there is still some life left in a live axle if set up properly

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007

that is all, carry on :io:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info