đź“° Auto News Report: Next Chevrolet Corvette to get 440-hp 5.5-liter small-block V8

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
According to Motor Trend, which is citing unnamed sources within General Motors, the next-generation Corvette will come with a brand-new engine. Despite rumors to the contrary, it seems that Chevrolet's halo vehicle will continue using its trademark V8 engine and not a V6. Still, the C7's powerplant will be downsized from its current 6.2 or 7.0 liters.

It's likely that this new engine will be the first application of GM's next-gen small block family, and we'd expect it to sport direct injection, E85 capability and a new combustion system design. One thing not to expect, though: overhead cams. You can bank on the fact that The General will stick to its tried-and-true overhead valve design, which serves to lower manufacturing costs and allows for comparatively small overall engine dimensions.

All of these technologies should make the venerable V8 more fuel efficient and cleaner, but also sufficiently powerful to uphold its sportscar heritage. In fact, Motor Trend reports that the C7's V8 will displace 5.5 liters while hammering out 440 horsepower. Though that significantly smaller in displacement, the power figure would actually be up from the current 430 ponies. We can hardly wait... but we'll have to anyway. We don't expect the next Corvette to bow before 2012 at the earliest.

[Autoblog]

I'm going to place this under a fail spot from gm!! Everybody is crazy about the new 5.0 gt... Gm will excite us now with a car that makes 10hp over a car already being produced. Yay I can't wait to see one yay!! I Need a sarcasm smilie cause this is the dumbest shit ever! Gm just kill yourself and save us gm owners the grief and ass reamings we will recieve from ford owners. Idiots....new and better is the game... Not new wrapper same taste! They can kill the camaro all they want but don't bring te super car down! However if it looks sweet as hell and they stick somethjng crazy under the hood of a z06, Then it will be ok I guess!

its losing over a half liter of displacement and making 10hp more, that sounds like a lot to me... GM is "getting with the program" on what other manufacturers have been doing for a while.

I agree smaller displacement but 10hp is nothing exciting. I
realize most people who are going to buy these brand new won't care about hp difference and are only buying the name and look of the classic sports car! I just wish they could change the way of the game like they did with te new z06! Ford has bumped up their game to flush gm away with performance. Most people look for economical cars wich is smart but being on top of the speed war is just all the more sweeter victory! I dunno just my 2cents!

Nope not 500!! Maybe close tho!! This is America and bigger is always better! Just look around obesity is all over.. We like big things and the bigger the size the better. I'm talking about the engine ofcourse! The guy who buys this is thinking one thing I got this massive v8 right in front of me... And I'm going to use it! He is not going oh I'm glad this thing doesn't guzzle gas and is safe to drive around! (Good gas mileage is a plus don't get me wrong)! If I had to choose between a 6.2 or a 5.5 I'll take the 6.2 hands down! It's a sports car not a commuter car! Hell if they put a big block in it and gave it 10hp more I bet ya more people will buy the big block over the 6.2litre small block. Even if it costs the same or was 2 grand more! Bigger is better

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Nope not 500!! Maybe close tho!! This is America and bigger is always better! Just look around obesity is all over.. We like big things and the bigger the size the better. I'm talking about the engine ofcourse! The guy who buys this is thinking one thing I got this massive v8 right in front of me... And I'm going to use it! He is not going oh I'm glad this thing doesn't guzzle gas and is safe to drive around! (Good gas mileage is a plus don't get me wrong)! If I had to choose between a 6.2 or a 5.5 I'll take the 6.2 hands down! It's a sports car not a commuter car! Hell if they put a big block in it and gave it 10hp more I bet ya more people will buy the big block over the 6.2litre small block. Even if it costs the same or was 2 grand more! Bigger is better

440Hp out of a 5.5 with no gas guzzler tax (regular Corvettte avoids this) is a pretty good trick, you may consider it just a 10 hp bump from the current motor, but if the power band peak is a couple hundred rpm wider, the car will be a whole different animal, with direct injection, and I'm sure a Variable cam, the motor should have a wide flat curve, and be very competitive with anything currently on the market.....

That, and with the death of the Viper, there is no direct domestic (Ford/Chrysler) competition for the corvette, the Mustang may get up to the same price range, I think most shoppers wouldn't cross shop these two models... In most peoples eyes, a mustang is a 30k car, and a vette is a 50k - 60k car. GM really only has to compete with the Germans, and the GTR.

Just my $.02 though

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
I'll remember this when I see the 50-70 year old men driving around in new vettes

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
50-70 year old men? Hey Turk was 6speedjon in that age range? My bday is Monday but I'm not turning 50. Mook are the Greeks that old? I forgot only old people buy vettes. Wakeup call sinister SHO this is no longer 1984-1994 Times have changed get with it
:dunno: Doesn't seem like you're driving around in a base model either. Yes, a younger crowd is buying and racing the higher end vettes. However, I still see mostly old men driving base model vettes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info