Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
These are the days when V6 engines are getting all the love, and the reasons are obvious. Chrysler has finally got its Phoenix Pentastar V6 on, and down under General Motors recently rolled out the facelifted Commodore line with its 3.0-liter SIDI V6. The point is to provide solid power and go easy on the gas, and in the U.S. the V6 that's been making that point very well is Ford's 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost found in the Flex and Lincoln MKS and MKT.

GM's got its eye on that lump as it prepares a twin-turbo 3.0-liter V6 engine provisionally called LF3, a derivative of the same High Feature LF1 V6 (pictured) in the new Commodore. According to GM Inside News, we should "expect the engine to rival" the EcoBoost. The Ford motor comes in at 350 horsepower and 355 pound-feet of torque, compared to the 3.0-liter SIDI V6 at 270 hp and 213 lb-ft.

Where would this engine appear? Up at this end of the Earth we can probably expect it in the newly confirmed Cadillac XTS (Cadillac worked with Holden to develop the HF1) and perhaps even the Cadillac ATS and the Camaro. Look for it in 2011 or 2012... hopefully.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/24/report-gm-developing-twin-turbo-3-0l-v6-to-fight-ecoboost/

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I am kind scared to think about what kind of power a GM V6 with DOHC, direct injection, and twin turbos could make. Ford is really going to have to watch its back. But then again, by the time GM introduces their motor, it'll be about time for the Ecoboost to get it's first power/efficiency bump

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It's rated with the same mileage as the N/A V-6, but with 100 more hp. I'd say that's pretty impressive. Plus the SHO is AWD, which doesn't help mileage at all. I suspect the Taurus would be un-drivable without AWD because of torque steer.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
I thought I remember hearing that the new TT SHO's mileage was maybe one or two better than a V8. Maybe they'll become more efficient, but I don't see a mile or two making a big difference in swaying someone between the 6 or 8 cylinders.

look at TT SHO vs the G8, only 1 MPG better, and less HP... V8 wins this round

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
That's what I was getting at. That would not help making a decision between the two. It would probably come down to price and style if the mpg were that close.

I think the Sho is 100+ lbs heavier, and I think the g8 is much more sporty looking, even though the G8 isn't currently produced, these cars are in the same category

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Biggest detractor is price. I reviewed the SHO when the G8 was still in production and said G8 GT holds its own for sports sedan buyers because it's $8,000 less than the SHO and a better balanced car by far. On the inside the SHO is much nicer, though.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
I've read that the EcoBoost engine can handle quite a bit more power. The transmission on the other hand is another issue. If anyone has seen an EcoBoost engine in person...the turbos are tiny.

It's cool to see GM finally wake up and invest in new engine tech.

They have been doing turbo direct injection for years, 04+ in the ecotec turbo, and a few Saabs had it, They have the tech, shit their current V6 are all DOHC with 270hp +

:werd:

I hope they pull a one up on ford with it too, as far as power numbers.

Agreed, and V6 w/ 350+ hp stock is :fy:

Hopefully they can do it for cheaper than 40k though

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info