đź“° Auto News Spy Photo: Is This the 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Z28?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
camaroz28-test-1600.jpg

Hard to tell exactly with all the camouflage and snow, but it appears as though this could be the long-awaited 2011 Chevrolet Camaro Z28. We reported that this supercharged Camaro was back on track late last year and this picture appears to confirm that story.

You can clearly see the raised hood on this prototype, a feature necessary to clear the 6.2-liter supercharged V8 sitting in the engine bay. That engine delivers 556-horsepower in the Cadillac CTS-V, so the Camaro Z28 will have at least that much.

Also note the ultra low-profile tires on this test mule. They suggest a serious tire/wheel upgrade which would seem appropriate for a car of the Z's capabilities. A revised front end is probably part of the package too as that big V8 needs plenty of air to make all that horsepower.

Then again, maybe this is just some new body kit and wheel package they're testing out.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straigh...to-is-this-the-2011-chevrolet-camaro-z28.html

Bones

Don't call me late for dinner!!!
Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
GM feels that their Camaro is of "premium quality" compared to the Mustang lol. Chances are, it will be priced a bit higher than the GT500 if thats still the case.... unless the new base and GT power plants slapped some form of sense into GM.

I can't see the Z28 going for that kind of money in the long run. That would undue everything the Camaro has stood for. The Camaro is the poor mans corvette, Z28 or not. Having a Camaro from the factory cost more than a Corvette wouldn't make much sense. Just saying, I can't see the Z going for that kind of money in the long run. They may start out right off the bat that high but in a year that will drop, once they realize how few people will buy them. It's the same thing with the Z06s. Dealers were marking them up high as 100K the first year they came out.

And if I'm 100% wrong and it stays at that price then whoever buys one for 50 grand is an idiot haha. Sorry, it's a fact Corvette money for a Camaro is retarded. And that's coming from a guy that's on his 3rd Camaro right now. It's not all about speed in my books at least. I want to look good going fast. Rather have a vette. :p

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
I can't see the Z28 going for that kind of money in the long run. That would undue everything the Camaro has stood for. The Camaro is the poor mans corvette, Z28 or not. Having a Camaro from the factory cost more than a Corvette wouldn't make much sense. Just saying, I can't see the Z going for that kind of money in the long run. They may start out right off the bat that high but in a year that will drop, once they realize how few people will buy them. It's the same thing with the Z06s. Dealers were marking them up high as 100K the first year they came out.

And if I'm 100% wrong and it stays at that price then whoever buys one for 50 grand is an idiot haha. Sorry, it's a fact Corvette money for a Camaro is retarded. And that's coming from a guy that's on his 3rd Camaro right now. It's not all about speed in my books at least. I want to look good going fast. Rather have a vette. :p

Well what makes more sense here? A Z28 thats faster than the base model Vette... and being more expensive or a faster Z28 that costs less than a slower base Vette? It seems to me that having the faster Z28 under the base Vettes MSRP would hurt Vette sales (which they sell many more than they will Z28s).

Bones

Don't call me late for dinner!!!
Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
Well what makes more sense here? A Z28 thats faster than the base model Vette... and being more expensive or a faster Z28 that costs less than a slower base Vette? It seems to me that having the faster Z28 under the base Vettes MSRP would hurt Vette sales (which they sell many more than they will Z28s).

Yeah but what you have to understand is that the average person with the money to buy one of these cars doesn't look at just speed. They are not buying one of these cars for the same reasons you and I buy them. And by having such high pricing on a car like this is ridiculous. You'll have a handful of people who do buy it and that's it. A 565hp Z28 vs a Z51 C6, I'll still take the C6 and stick the rest of the money into that LS3 C6 (if I had that kind of money is my pt). 1) It has a better design imo, it has the name (your buying the name when you get a vette vs a Camaro) 3) even in these times it has a better resale value. The Vettes have always had one of the highest resale rates. Look at 98-02 F-bodies, I can pick one up today for 10 grand or less on average. Now obviously it has to be bad karma to buy a car right off the bat thinking of selling it down the road, but I'm just stating facts.

I think what they're trying to do is make the Camaro a car that it simply isn't. As stated above, they need to make it more affordable in general. If you are a Chevy fan and have 50 grand to spend, more than likely you'll buy a brand new LS3 vette or a used C6 Z. Not a friggin big ass bulky Camaro and you can't even see out of your side mirrors. Vette handles nicer, rides nicer and is a true sports/touring car, the Camaro isn't. So adding on all these ridiculous extras on it like IRS is stupid imo. Take that shit off if that's what is jacking up the pricing. It's the poor man's corvette, always will be, don't try to make it something it's not. I love my LS1, it allows younger guys like myself to play the game because not every college student can afford a god damn 50K corvette. That's the audience GM needs to focus on, the middle class, that's who have always been interested in F-Bodies for the most part. That's how I see it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info