đź“° Auto News NHTSA reportedly investigating Chevrolet Cobalt power steering failures

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Proof that there are other automakers also under the scrutiny of the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration: The Chevrolet Cobalt is under federal investigation for steering-related safety issues. To date, the NHTSA has reported 1,132 consumer complaints about a sudden loss of power steering in 2005-09 Chevrolet Cobalt and 2008-09 Chevrolet Cobalt SS models. While a loss of steering assist should not immediately lead to a crash, consumers have reported "difficulty controlling the vehicle, such as departing from the desired travel lane."

The NHTSA has recorded 11 crashes and one injury attributed to the power steering failure, with potentially 905,000 vehicles affected by the investigation. There have been no deaths reported. "We are cooperating with the agency in the investigation," said GM. The automaker will replace the Cobalt with the Chevrolet Cruze for the 2011 model year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/03/nhtsa-reportedly-investigating-chevrolet-cobalt-power-steering-f/

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
I find a loss of power steering to not be a saftey issue.... but I guess most people out there don't know how to drive anyway, shit it only feels heavier at slow speeds, doing 15mph+ it shouldn't make a difference

I agree with this. My girlfriends dads car doesn't have ps, and it drives fine.. like you said sucks at low speeds but feels fine at higher speeds.

Back when I had my 07 this happened to mine...went out when I was going 40mph, I pulled over, turned the car off and back on and it was fine.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Looks like they are recalling 1.3m vehicles.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors has recalled 1.3 million Chevrolet and Pontiac models in North America for power steering failures that are tied to 14 crashes and one injury in the United States, the company said Tuesday.

The recall affects 2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt and 2007-2010 Pontiac G5 models sold in the United States, 2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit vehicles sold in Canada, and 2005-2006 Pontiac G4 models sold in Mexico.

Detroit-based GM told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the recall Monday after concluding its own investigation first launched in January 2009.

The NHTSA opened a separate investigation on 905,000 U.S. Cobalt models in January 2010 after receiving more than 1,100 complaints on power steering failures, 14 crashes and an injury.

GM's new 'car guy' sees a ray of hope for the company
GM vice president of quality Jamie Hresko said the investigation revealed that the problem develops over time, and is more likely to occur in vehicles whose warranty has expired.

GM spokesman Alan Adler told CNNMoney that the condition tends to impact vehicles that have been driven 20,000 to 30,000 miles.

While the company is developing a solution to fix the problem, Hresko said drivers can maintain control of the vehicle even after losing the power steering function.

"Recalling these vehicles is the right thing to do for our customers' peace of mind," he said. "While greater steering effort under 15 mph may be required, if the customer experiences loss of power steering assist, it is important to note that the vehicle can still be safely controlled because the customer can still steer the vehicle."

He noted that when the power steering feature fails, a chime will sound and the "Power Steering" message will display to alert drivers.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/03/02/autos/GM_recall/index.htm?hpt=T2

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info