šŸ“° Auto News New Study Has Ford Overtaking Toyota in Quality Perception

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/...-overtaking-toyota-in-quality-perception.html

The situation just keeps getting stickier, so to speak. On the heels of its latest mass recall, a study released Wednesday reports Toyota fell to seventh place for 2010 models ā€” from second place in 2009 ā€” among 20 mainstream brands in perceived quality. Ford, meanwhile, moved from eighth place last year to sixth for 2010. The study ended on January 17, a week before the most recent Toyota recall, but began after the recall of 4.2 million cars over floormats.

6a00d83451b3c669e20128772a0c0d970c-800wi

Bandon, Ore.-based CNW Market Research conducted the study, which asked 150,000 new-car shoppers, on a 1-to-10 scale, how well they perceived the quality of cars from 36 brands. CNW has been conducting the study for more than a dozen years, with shoppers asked to opine regardless of whether they could afford the brandā€™s cars.Of the 20 non-luxury brands, Toyota and Honda have ranked first or second from the 1997 to the 2009 model years. But for the 2010 model year, Toyotaā€™s perception dropped to seventh place, with an average score of 8.51 out of 10. In 2009, it was 8.97.
Meanwhile, Ford ā€” whose announcement Thursday of a profitable 2009 blew away analystsā€™ expectations ā€” vaulted from 14th place as recently as the 2006 model year to sixth for 2010. Hereā€™s how the 20 non-luxury brands stacked up:
1. Honda
2. Buick
3. Mazda
4. Volkswagen
5. Saturn
6. Ford
7. Toyota
8. Hyundai
9. Subaru
10. Chevrolet
11. Nissan
12. Mercury
13. Kia
14. Mitsubishi
15. Dodge
16. Jeep
17. Pontiac
18. Suzuki
19. Chrysler
20. Isuzu

ā€œThe problems really began with a small problem: The T100 ā€˜full sizeā€™ pickup was scary bad,ā€ CNW President Art Spinella said in an email statement. ā€œA variety of other recalls on vehicles such as Tundra and warranty issues such as the Multi-Function Display in the Prius added their own black marks. Consumer Reportsā€™ halting a long-time practice of giving an automatic ā€˜passā€™ on any new Toyota product was a major blow.

ā€œThe ā€˜Halt Saleā€™ directive to dealers impacts not only new vehicles but the used vehicles,ā€ Spinella continued, referring to Toyotaā€™s decision to halt sales of models encompassed by last weekā€™s 2.3-million vehicle accelerator pedal recall.

CNW didnā€™t return our requests for additional comment, so we chatted with Erich Merkle, president of Autoconomy, a Grand Rapids, Mich.-based consulting firm.

The recent recalls have affected consumer perception ā€œto a certain extent,ā€ Merkle said. But another underlying reason for Toyotaā€™s perceptual slide, he said, is its competition ā€” including Ford.

ā€œI donā€™t know that Toyotaā€™s quality has degraded as much as it means that the bar has just moved higher,ā€ Merkle said. Indeed, the CNW survey shows brands like Mazda, Volkswagen and Ford having steady perceptual gains over the past few years. Toyota, meanwhile, hovered in the same range from 2007 to 2009 before sliding for 2010.

ā€œIf you look at things that GM has done, and what Ford has done, and now what Hyundai and Kia are doing, they really provide that look and feel of quality,ā€ Merkle said. ā€œYou look at where interiors have gone, and I donā€™t think that Toyota interiors have gotten worse. In fact, I think theyā€™ve gotten a little better. But you look at the interior of the new Ford Taurus, and itā€™s outstanding.ā€

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Dodge and Mitsubishi better than Pontiac???

Well you can tell they didn't call me. The Dodge Durango and Intrepid we had were not very good quality cars. The Mitsubishi Galant was the only car I ever owned that had multiple things break just within the first year of owning it. Then again this list isn't on actual quality, it's based on Perception.

Many elected a President based on the Perception of "change" and we can all see how well that worked.

Bones

Don't call me late for dinner!!!
Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
Yeah I really think they are done for. Same with Mitsu, because what I have been reading is that the Japanese, Asian countries in general are not as forgiving as Americans. When they found out quality was sacrificed for money (money > safety) Toyota basically created a death sentence for themselves. That being said Toyota is really up shits creek.

I'm ok with that. I rather see Mitsu, Toyota and others die off and Ford and GM gain sales. Lets keep this shit in motion. :bigthumb:

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I give Ford alot of credit and respect. They realized what they were doing wrong, acted fast and efficiently, all without the need of gov't assistance (our tax money!!). All it takes is a good CEO. GM and Chrysler cant say that. GM's old CEO thought his $30 million salary was fair, while his company was billions in debt. And its truely a slap in the face to all tax payers to see Chrysler in second to last place in quality ratings. How much money did we loan that company again?!? And wasnt it them recently that couldnt pay back one of their $4 billion loans??? No problem! Fuck that company, I'd rather drive a Toyota with a gas pedal that sticks to the floor than support that automaker.

I agree Toyota is going to need alot of time to rebound out of this mess. But they had this coming for them. They got greedy, produced way too many models and cut too many important corners.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info