đź“° Auto News Truck of War: GM Vice Chairman Challenges Ford to Heavy Duty Tug of War

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/0...hairman-challenges-ford-to-hd-tug-of-war.html

Truck of War: GM Vice Chairman Challenges Ford to Heavy Duty Tug of War

Posted by Mike Levine | January 19, 2010
6a00d83451b3c669e20120a7ed51ec970b-800wi

Truck manufacturers thrive on good old-fashioned smack talk in their advertising and marketing. They love to tackle competitors' claims head-on and boast about their trucks’ capabilities.

But perhaps the best competitive challenge that we've ever heard comes from Tom Stephens, General Motors' vice chairman in charge of global product operations, to crosstown rival Ford. It concerns two trucks that have yet to hit the market: GM's 2011 Chevrolet and GMC Heavy Duty pickups and Ford's 2011 F-Series Super Duty.

"You're going to love our new diesel Duramax engine in the new Heavy Duty," Stephens told PickupTrucks.com at the 2010 North American International Auto Show.

But then, in a powerful statement of confidence in the new haulers, Stephens said, "You know what I want to do to prove it? I want to take our truck and Ford's [new Super Duty] and chain them together back -to-back. Then I want to have them pull against each other. I know our truck will beat theirs."

We asked Stephens three times if he was serious, and he repeated back — very enthusiastically, we might add — what he sees as a spectacular way to prove just how strong GM's new Heavy Duty pickups will be.

Stephens should know the capability of GM's new pickup and its updated Duramax diesel engine. Before he was promoted to his current position, Stephens was executive vice president of GM global powertrain.

So we'd like to take Stephens up on this challenge and offer our impartial services to referee such an event in Texas, the heart of truck country, in an arena where GM and Ford owners can come out and watch. We'll split the venue in half, for each side.

We've informally passed along Stephens’ challenge to Ford, just to let them know GM's position. There's no official response yet, but we think it's certainly gotten their attention.

The rest of the details still need to be worked out. So what do you say GM and Ford? Are you both all in? We know Tom Stephens is.

Stay tuned!

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
E

ez112

Favorite truck of all time is the last gen Lightning.

Mine too. :)

How lovely of GM to give themselves time and a heads on these challenges long before other companies catch wind of their scheme of making themselves look good. They'll probably boost the power ratings for this upcoming year's engine.

Oh well. It doesn't matter if Chevy wins this challenge (which I'm sure they conveniently will), in the long run, they've done already lost.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Why don't we look at the sales figures over the last 20 years and choose a winner? GM's trucks are good, but Ford is still the benchmark in this segment.

I would like to see some non light duty number comparison.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...-date-sales-figures-for-fullsize-pickups.html

6a00d83451b3c669e2011570dfd5e1970c-800wi

Full-Size Truck Winners: Dodge, Ford, Chevrolet
Full-Size Truck Losers: Toyota, Nissan, GMC

6a00d83451b3c669e2011571d49d7a970b-800wi

Half-Ton Truck Winners: Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge
Half-Ton Truck Losers: Toyota, Nissan, GMC

6a00d83451b3c669e2011570dfd742970c-800wi

Heavy-Duty Truck Winners: Ford, Dodge
Heavy-Duty Truck Losers: Chevrolet, GMC

Are you sure? I believe if you add up GMC and chevy, GM sells more trucks.

lol

thank you turk

silly jason. unable to read graphs.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Mine too. :)

How lovely of GM to give themselves time and a heads on these challenges long before other companies catch wind of their scheme of making themselves look good. They'll probably boost the power ratings for this upcoming year's engine.

Oh well. It doesn't matter if Chevy wins this challenge (which I'm sure they conveniently will), in the long run, they've done already lost.

bahhaha wait what.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info