Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
NEW YORK - The U.S. Treasury will not recover any portion of the $3.7 billion still outstanding in loans it made to automaker Chrysler under the Troubled Asset Relief Program, according to the terms of a plan filed with bankruptcy court on Tuesday.

The U.S. government has filed proofs of claim for unpaid principal, interest, fees and expenses, but "will receive no recovery on account of such claim," according to court documents filed on behalf of Old Carco LLC, the units of Chrysler that remain under bankruptcy protection while they are liquidated.

The proposal was laid out in a disclosure statement filed with the New York bankruptcy court in Manhattan.

A disclosure statement is a comprehensive document sent to creditors before they vote on a plan of reorganization. The Old Carco plan also proposed repaying Class 1 priority claims in full.

The case is In re Old Carco LLC, US Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York, No. 09-50002.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34434831/ns/business-autos

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
They should have never been allowed to liquidate in this fashion anyhow. All they did was package their good assets as a new company, gave it a new name, and started over. Then they liquidated the junk.

The problem is that the shit they sell is also junk and now that's carried over to the new name. GM at least had good products in the pipeline and you could tell that they were going to pull through. Chrysler's been circling the drain for a few years now and they're not in a good situation right now either.

But this is what you get when the government plays with the private sector. They couldn't have given GM aid without also offering it to Chrysler and here we are.

If it were up to me they would have all been left to sink or swim on their own merit. Chrysler would have liquidated or been bought out, GM would have gone through bankruptcy but remained in business and Ford would be where they are now.

Now all you have is a bunch of lost taxpayer's, a company that's going to eventually fail anyhow and another company (Ford) who was dealt an unfair blow when they made all the right moves to prepare for coming bad times. You used to be rewarded for making decisions like that in the past. Now when it happens the government just swoops in and bails out your competition... Bleh.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
They should have never been allowed to liquidate in this fashion anyhow. All they did was package their good assets as a new company, gave it a new name, and started over. Then they liquidated the junk.

The problem is that the shit they sell is also junk and now that's carried over to the new name. GM at least had good products in the pipeline and you could tell that they were going to pull through. Chrysler's been circling the drain for a few years now and they're not in a good situation right now either.

But this is what you get when the government plays with the private sector. They couldn't have given GM aid without also offering it to Chrysler and here we are.

If it were up to me they would have all been left to sink or swim on their own merit. Chrysler would have liquidated or been bought out, GM would have gone through bankruptcy but remained in business and Ford would be where they are now.

Now all you have is a bunch of lost taxpayer's, a company that's going to eventually fail anyhow and another company (Ford) who was dealt an unfair blow when they made all the right moves to prepare for coming bad times. You used to be rewarded for making decisions like that in the past. Now when it happens the government just swoops in and bails out your competition... Bleh.

Great post BTW! You've done your homework!

It still remains up in the air whether Chrysler will be in business in the future.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
The Gov't may not get all their money invested back, but if the loans are paid back, that is a very good start... I'd rather get some $$ back than none

That's a terrible investment and an example why the bailouts were very very very poorly implemented. If you invested personal money and lost 80% of it, you'd be pissed. When you invest, you plan to make money not lose it.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
That's a terrible investment and an example why the bailouts were very very very poorly implemented. If you invested personal money and lost 80% of it, you'd be pissed. When you invest, you plan to make money not lose it.

True, but the gov't wasn't investing, the Gov't was putting money in to keep these companies afloat, and keep the may smaller suppliers afloat, and many many Americans in jobs, this was never a for profit venture... I just wanna know how much of the money they put in made it back into the economy

And I do agree that It could have been done better, like doing the bancrupsy first, before giving them $6,000,000,000.00+

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
this means the govt should be allowed to seize the rest of chryslers remaining stock of vehicles, and give them out to us tax payers, since we paid for them anyways. Not that i want a chrysler, but i could at least then sell it for a few bucks, cuz I need the damn money more than chrysler does at this point. Im sure id then blow that money on more useless junk I dont need, and thus the economy would be stimulated once again. Wheres obamas phone number?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
True, but the gov't wasn't investing, the Gov't was putting money in to keep these companies afloat, and keep the may smaller suppliers afloat, and many many Americans in jobs, this was never a for profit venture... I just wanna know how much of the money they put in made it back into the economy

Yep and that's why we shouldn't have done it. We should have let the free markets work, but that's another economic discussion.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
this means the govt should be allowed to seize the rest of chryslers remaining stock of vehicles, and give them out to us tax payers, since we paid for them anyways. Not that i want a chrysler, but i could at least then sell it for a few bucks, cuz I need the damn money more than chrysler does at this point. Im sure id then blow that money on more useless junk I dont need, and thus the economy would be stimulated once again. Wheres obamas phone number?

I approve on this message! :nutz: Lets do it! :hsugh:

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Yep and that's why we shouldn't have done it. We should have let the free markets work, but that's another economic discussion.

True, but free market didn't exsist durring the housing bubble.....Which was allowed by Gov't backing of cheap credit.... blah blah blah, financial explosion everyone knows the rest... Free market has been dead for a while here in the US....too bad for us

Last edited:

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
True, but free markets brought on the housing bubble.....Which was allowed by Gov't backing of cheap credit.... blah blah blah, financial explosion everyone knows the rest... Free market has been dead for a while here in the US....too bad for us

The US Government created the bubble, NOT the free markets. Without the US Gov't backing the loans and Gov't GSE's, this situation would have never happened.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info