đź“° Auto News Volkswagen Amarok pickup makes the scene

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
vw-amorak.jpg

Well looky here – it's the latest in a long line of oddly named trucks from Volkswagen. This time, the Amarok refers to a cryptozoological Inuit giant wolf-creature that eats those who dares to hunt alone. No really. Regardless, the Amarok is VW's first pickup truck since the Caddy, aka the Rabbitamino first released in 1980. Aside from being thirty-years more new, the Amarok looks to be a bit, well, more stout.

Spartan, too – especially the no frills interior. And here's the really good part for you truck dudes – it's a real-deal, honest-to-goodness body-on-frame worker bee. Meaning it can haul 2,300 pounds and tow nearly three tons (5,600 pounds) when equipped with VW's 2.0-liter common-rail turbo diesel four-cylinder that's good for 163 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

A smaller diesel motor with 122 hp and 250 torques will be an option, as well as a direct-injected gasoline engine. True, it's not a Ford F-450 Super Duty. But then again, what is? And really, if hauling a couple of jet skis or a track car are your thing (as opposed to say a yacht), the Amarok could be your truck. If you live in Europe, South America, Asia, Africa or Australia. Predictably we can't get the Argentinian-built Amarok here. But feel free to inflame your trucky jealousy by reading the full press release, after the jump. Hat tips to Carlos and Doug!

:fu: WHY ISN'T THIS COMING TO THE US!?!?!

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Interesting. Seems like it would suck for towing regardless of what it's rated at. Though with a turbo upgrade and some tweaking it could fit the bill. Also just looks like they hacked the front of a car and slapped it On a truck.

It's not designed to be a all out towing machine like a F-350 or a GM 3500. But like the article said, if you have a couple of jet-ski's, snow mobiles, a small trailer, or a boat of varying size, it would be a nice little vehicle that would return some good gas mileage. If you wanted to tow a 5th wheel, or a large trailer, I think you would have to look elsewhere. I like that it is smaller, has a nice diesel motor, and body on frame. Like a Colorado or a Ranger except more reliable and more powerful.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Meh, every VW I've been around has had very few if any problems. My mom had a beetle, never had a problem, nick's mom had a beetle and now the shEOS and it has been pretty reliable (aside from the A/C compressor). Couple of friends with Jetta's that have been issue free. We'll see how Nick's does though.

In this market, there are no small diesel engine pick-ups. Diesel is making a come-back in the US, and it seems like VW, BMW, and MB are able to put out diesel products and people will actually buy them. Mahindra is supposedly coming out with a smaller diesel pick-up, but I'm not sure about the company yet or it's reliability. At least with VW you know they are here to stay, and if there are issues there are plenty of dealers around, and you know that their diesel motors will last longer than anything else on the vehicle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info