Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Apparently, if you put Bob Lutz in a room filled with journalists asking pointed questions about specific vehicles, you won't get the industry-standard "we don't comment on future product" line. Following Maximum Bob's recent revelations about the CTS-V Sport Wagon and Coupe, along with a hybrid Chevrolet Impala, Buick Regal GS and a Caprice SS, when InsideLine asked Lutz about a twin-turbo version of the Chevrolet Camaro he simply responded "perhaps."

In addition to confirming a production version of the limited edition Camaro Synergy shown at SEMA and murdered-out Camaro, Lutz hinted at the possibility of a production version of the boosted, 425-hp V6 Camaro GM created for Jay Leno for this month's SEMA show. While it's far from a confirmation – and we all know how these things go with Lutz – it could be an indication that Chevrolet may be looking to beat Ford to the punch by offering a turbo'd version of its pony car. The only question now is when we'll receive an email from GM's PR team issuing the prerequisite denials... or an announcement that Fritz Henderson will require Lutz to wear a ball-gag at all future media events.

[Autoblog]

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The twin-turbo Camaro isn't a definitive "yes, we're building it." Lutz is just talking out his ass, which is normal.

I don't think GM is clueless. The Malibu is a good car and selling extremely well. The Traverse is selling strong, plus the Camaro sold 8,000 units last month while the Mustang sold 4,000.

They are making a mistake with the Cruze still so far away from U.S. production.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I don't think GM is clueless. The Malibu is a good car and selling extremely well. The Traverse is selling strong, plus the Camaro sold 8,000 units last month while the Mustang sold 4,000.

They are making a mistake with the Cruze still so far away from U.S. production.

GM has a LONG way to go towards profitability. If you look at the sales numbers, GM is still losing market share. The Malibu is a good car, but it still isn't as good as a Accord or Camry.

GM needs the Cruza and Regal to be hits with the public.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
No doubt it's going to take some time. They've been fuckups for the past few decades. Can't fix all those mistakes in one model year but they've got a good start with what's important: Product. Can't say that about Chrysler.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
No doubt it's going to take some time. They've been fuckups for the past few decades. Can't fix all those mistakes in one model year but they've got a good start with what's important: Product. Can't say that about Chrysler.

Chrysler is a damaged brand. GM is only slightly above that, although they do have better products in development.

Ford is clearly ahead of both and will continue to gain market share for GM & Chrysler. I won't purchase a MY 2009+ GM vehicle now that they've take taxpayers money and won't pay it back. I think a lot of Americans probably feel this way.

shockerracing.com

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 9, 2006
Dundee, IL
GM has a LONG way to go towards profitability. If you look at the sales numbers, GM is still losing market share. The Malibu is a good car, but it still isn't as good as a Accord or Camry.

Have you driven a new Malibu? Extremely well done car! I would buy one any day over an Accord or Camry.

The only thing Ford did better than GM was borrowing more money before the banks and the economy took a shit!

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Have you driven a new Malibu? Extremely well done car! I would buy one any day over an Accord or Camry.

The only thing Ford did better than GM was borrowing more money before the banks and the economy took a shit!

I drove the top of line V6 Malibu. It's a HUGE improvement for GM, but it still has inferior fit/finish compared to a comparable Accord or Camry. My dad looked at all three and chose the Accord V6.

Ford did borrow money, but they also started their restructuring plan and implemented it sooner. Alan Mulally has led Ford's plan very efficiently. I don't want to sound like a Ford fanboy, but here is what Ford has coming out shortly:

-EcoBoost in 90% of vehicles by 2013
-Modern 4V 5.0L V8….This is the “Coyote’ engine that will power the Mustang and F150. It’s 400+ hp.
-Boss 6.2L V8 for trucks. This is a class leading engine
-New uni-body Explorer next year
-Euro Focus coming in 2011….I expect this to be near the top in competitive sales

The only thing that GM has over Ford is its Cadillac division. Lincoln is kind of sitting out there without any real purpose. My personal opinion is that Ford will really gain market share once the economy starts picking up and auto sales go back to normal. Like I said, I wouldn’t buy a Government owned GM product and I think that many Americans feel the same.

GM’s hedging on the Volt being a success. It certainly is an amazing engineering feat, but I believe that it’s priced out of the market. From what I’ve read, it will be close to $40K.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
When this car is released, he'll challenge anybody in a coupe to race it, and some kid with a 135 will bring his car and smoke it around the race track.

Actually, the 135 will lose, but whiney BMW owners will say that they got beat by a ringer in one post, while saying BMW owners are the best track drivers in another.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Bob cLutz is just trying to keep the performance minded enthusiasts from jumping ship. Many were ticked when they decided to kill Pontiac and their announcement last year that they would not make a Z-28. (not sure if the latter has changed). While GM may be improving it's quality, I really don't think they are going to recover many buyers and loyal GM fans they lost due to recent events.

Automobile Magazine recently ran a Poll and found out that over 65% of folks that liked the Pontiac brand would NOT buy another GM vehicle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info