đź“° Auto News Future of the 3 series...

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-new-cars/Search-Results/Spyshots/BMW-3-series-the-new-2011-F30/

You got it! We have, however, learned a fair bit about the new sporting saloon of choice. Gone is the 4.0-litre V8 from today's M3, replaced with a straight six twin-turbocharged unit with direct injection. The engine swap not only cuts emissions, but saves weight too. Power remains unchanged at 414bhp, but even sharper acceleration is promised thanks to an upgraded dual-clutch gearbox available only to M3 customers.

And this is a step in the wrong direction. The new M3 will have the same HP as my car, 4-5 years down the road? Disappointing.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Peak power might be the same but you're not accounting for the lighter drivetrain and the flat torque curve of a turbo car. I bet the car is going to be notably faster than the current model despite the numbers.

Not only that but a tune is going to make it a lot more fun out of the box. I think they have the new SHOs into the 12's on just a tune and they're using turbos smaller than my fists.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
The torque curve isn't going to get much flatter than the current M3s. It better be a much lighter car.

Current M3 dyno graph.
STR-07082901-kW-Nm-C.png

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
As long as it performs better who cares what the hp rating is. Horsepower can stay the same, but if gas mileage and acceleration improve then +1 to BMW. Of course, higher horsepower cars do contribute to faster cars, but there is more to it than just that. We'll just have to see in a couple years. I'll bet they'll change up the plan a couple more times before the car is released.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Just doesn't make sense to me, the M5/M6 are going to get a healthy power increase, while the M3 will remain the same?

Like I told you the other day, BMW M is going back to its roots. The current M3 is way too heavy. HP is a band-aid to cover up obesity. A lighter car will handle, brake, and accelerate better. It's all about the hp/lbs ratio!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info