đź“° Auto News Jaguar Pusses Out Of Jalopnik Vs. GM Race

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
A jaguar representative responded to this article in the Jalopnik comments :eek:

http://jalopnik.com/5391222/jaguar-pusses-out-of-jalopnik-vs-gm-race

500x_locat_4.jpg

Jaguar PR just called saying they've withdrawn their pledge to let Wes race the XFR Thursday against GM's Bob Lutz in a Cadillac CTS-V. Apparently, not because they're afraid to lose, they're afraid the XFR just can't take it. Pussies.

It's true. Stuart Schorr, Jaguar's main product PR man, told us flat out he expected the XFR would lose to the CTS-V, so it's not that he's afraid to lose to "Maximum" Bob Lutz.

Instead, they're afraid the XFR can't handle the strain. Specifically, the brakes. Without better brake cooling, Schorr tells us his folks are concerned the XFR just can't put the necessary laps in without endangering the driver.

So what does this mean for us? Well, it means we're still racing Lutz — except now, since Mercedes and now Jaguar weren't willing to stand by their product for five laps in a time attack race versus the CTS-V, we're beginning to believe the CTS-V is the only production luxury sedan on the market wiling to stand by its lofty claims of performance cred. So we'll race against Lutz using his own CTS-V — and probably the Mitsubishi Evo we'll drive up there in.

Unless, of course, some other automaker's less feline than those we've already tried. Any automaker want to put their fast four-door where their mouth is — e-mail me.

stuartschorr

Ray, nice juvenile, but clever, use of the feline wordplay, but one correction on your missive. I said I was concerned that five hot laps without added brake cooling system could compromise the stopping power and thus create a safety concern for your driver. The car can handle it.

The CTS-V is probably the fastest car of the class on the track, whether its the best car of its class is a different matter. I wonder if your readers think the fastest on track car is the best car?

Good luck at Mo*****llo.
Stuart

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
When asked what Lutz thought about Jaguar backing down, Lutz responded:

Maximum Bob Lutz said:
I think it means that the European high-performance sedans are excellent, even superb cars, but quite possibly not ready for racing laps right out of the show-room. The CTS-V is not only quicker, but will, in totally untweaked, stock form, run hot laps at any race track until it runs out of fuel. Transmission oil and diff oil temps are stable, engine oil temp doesn't go up, brakes get a bit more pedal travel, but don't fade. The street tires get a tad greasy, but handling and control remain excellent. "May the best car win"! (It wins automatically if the competitors won't show up!)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info