đź“° Auto News 2011 Ford Super Duty

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
2011 Ford Super Duty

By Ray Wert

Ford's big profit fiesta won't be the dinky li'l car almost finished moving around 'merica. No, the bread n' butter for FoMoCo is the trucks. The first look at their newest — the all-new 2011 Ford Super Duty — below.

Revealed today at the Texas State Fair, the 2011 Super Duty features both an all-new diesel and gasoline engine mated to a new transmission. We already know all about the new diesel, the 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8 turbocharged diesel engine, was designed, engineered and built in-house by Ford. On the exterior, the Super Duty's front face is looking more and more like the Super Chief concept revealed in Detroit a few years back. But it's what's inside that counts.

The 2011 Super Duty features increased towing and payload capability, extending its best-in-class rating, and also offering more towing from inside the bed. New is the first-ever factory-installed fifth wheel with warranted gooseneck substructure directly attached to the frame. All this means the Super Duty F-450 pickup maintains its class-leading gross combined weight rating of 33,000 pounds — and it does it with a completely different frame. Well, not from the new F-350, but from the old F-450. Huh? Here, we'll explain.

Today's F-450 pickup is a "hybrid" pickup truck — it's got the chassis cab front end of a Ford F-450 and F-350 back end. However, in order to increase fuel economy and increase speed past 85 MPH (why you'd want to do that at max-capacity tow, we just don't know) on the new 2011 model, the F-450 Super Duty now uses mostly F-350 frame components rather than a chassis cab front end. So, look at the F-450 as just the superest and bestest F-350 you can buy.

We'll have more shortly once we're done digesting the press releases.
http://jalopnik.com/5366502/2011-ford-super-duty-the-new-power+stroking-pickup

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
0812dp_11_z%202008_ford_f450_super_duty%20towing_camper.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
awesome truck... I've been thinking about getting one of the older generations with the 7.3 engines... I work for a company that sets up mobile stages for community festivals. one of our stages is 44Lx30W and we pull it with an 02 F-450 Gross trailer weight is somewhere between 36k and 40k #'s and that truck pulls it like a champ.... the dimentions are the same as a semi trailer but it's 44 feet long as opposed to 48 or 53... it's funny to see a small truck pull something that big

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Isn't that technically too much weight for a 450?

for sure... i believe that model is rated to 18,000#'s... we're essentially doubling it. It was ordered without a bed so it's a bare frame with a 5th wheel hitch over the rear axle. engine is original but it's loud as hell, kinda singing it's swan song. i believe it's the 2nd or 3rd trans (sounds like chains being dragged around a metal bucket) and i know the rear end is original and has a 4.56 gear in it.... and the truck only has about 40k on the clock... it's definatley not ment to do it, but when it needs to, it does it like a champ.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info