đź“° Auto News UPDATE - HE IS - Could Schumacher come out of retirement to replace Massa?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Could Michael Schumacher pull a Lance Armstrong and unretire back to the sport he so dearly loves and was almost impossibly successful at? If reports coming out of Formula One-obsessed European media outlets are to believed, the 40-year-old, seven-time F1 Driver's Championship winner is in the running as a possible replacement for Felipe Massa, who suffered a life-threatening head injury during the qualifying sessions at the Hungarian Grand Prix. According to Luca Colajanni, a spokesperson for the Italian racing team:

We have said before that it is possible that Michael Schumacher could return to help us out... We have two test drivers at Ferrari (Luca Badoer and Marc Gene) at the moment and Michael is an advisor. We have not spoken to him, but it is possible that this might happen. But we will have to wait and see what happens. It is something for (Ferrari team principal) Stefano Domenicali to consider over the coming weeks.

Even under the best-case scenarios, Massa will undoubtedly miss the European and Belgian Grands Prix, after which a four-week racing hiatus will allow Ferrari additional time to assess its numerous options. Sabine Kehm, a spokesperson for Schumacher, hasn't ruled out the possibility that Schumi could make a short-term return:

It's really up to Ferrari. They must first decide what they want to do. And if they decide to ask Michael, they would then talk to him and he would think about it. But the decision could be just as well negative.

Further complicating the issue are some concerns over Shumacher's physical health following an apparent motorcycle crash back in February. Regardless of whom Ferrari chooses to put in the newly-vacated driver's seat, we join Schumacher himself in again wishing Felipe Massa a speedy and full recovery.

[Autoblog]

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
wont happen for sure now, he said hes not gonna do it.

Comments by Michael Schumacher's official spokesperson caused a stir on Tuesday, but both his manager and the seven-time World Champion himself insist he will not be stepping into injured Felipe Massa's Ferrari cockpit.

Spokeswoman Sabine Kehm told the BBC that the 40-year-old German "will consider" replacing his Brazilian friend, even though talks with the Italian team have not taken place yet.

But Schumacher's manager Weber met with him this week in Geneva and afterwards told both Britain's Daily Mail and the German news agency SID that a comeback can be ruled out.

"Whoever sits in the car at the next race in Valencia, it will not be Michael Schumacher," he said. "I am not 100 per cent sure; I am 200 per cent sure."

Schumacher himself told the German magazine Bunte: "It does not make sense to talk about offers. My decision (to retire in 2006) stands."

Many other names have been rumoured as possible replacements for Massa while the Brazilian recuperates from his injuries, however an indication of the stand-in driver's identity might have appeared.

Ferrari reserve driver Marc Gene, who last month won the Le Mans 24 Hours with Peugeot, is said to be more likely than his testing colleague Luca Badoer for Massa's seat.

The 35-year-old has refused to comment on the matter, and in his regular column for the Spanish newspaper El Mundo, the veteran of 36 Grand Prix wrote regarding Massa: "We would even wish that he could be in Valencia, but if he is not, the important thing is that he is well.

"I understand that many people want to know what is in the future but right now the only thing that occupies me is my friend," the Spaniard added.

However there remains a Ferrari cockpit to fill, and it seems that Gene is scheduled to straight-line test the F60 at the Vairano circuit on Wednesday.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
well how bout that

Yesterday's rumors have been confirmed: Michael Schumacher will take Felipe Massa's place for the remainder of the 2009 Formula One season.

A Ferrari spokesperson said Schumi's return hinges on the seven-time F1 champion's ability to pass the FIA's physical (we doubt that'll be a problem) and he'll be back in full-force on August 23 at the European Grand Prix in Valencia.

Schumacher has been under the employ of Ferrari as an advisor to the team since his retirement in 2006, and although Massa is reportedly well on his way to recovering after sustaining a serious head injury at last weekend's race, Schumacher will take his place for the remaining seven races of the 2009 season.

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
he is pretty much the best driver to have raced in F1 (debatable with some of the old greats of course) but in the last 15 years or so, he was the best out there hands down. he took what was a shitty ferrari team and made them into multiple constructors champions year after year and he won the most world championships of any driver. hes that good

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
more good news

Felipe Massa's personal doctor has given the racer the best prognosis yet, saying "He doesn't seem to have a long-term injury," and that Massa hasn't suffered any eye damage. After the Brazilian's 170 mph (275 kph) impact with a flying spring that came off Rubens Barrichello's car during qualifying for the Hungarian GP, doctors were worried about keeping Massa alive, nevermind racing.

Now he is scheduled to leave intensive care today, and could leave the hospital in less than ten days. After that, he is expected to go to Paris for further treatment, and then to Monaco or Sao Paulo. Although it looks likely that Massa will race again, doctors have suggested it won't be this year. In the meantime, Michael Schumacher will emerge from retirement to take his place on Ferrari's F1 team.

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
more news, cliffs are he can see out of his left eye and use it just fine

Felipe Massa's condition continues to improve following his qualifying accident in Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying on Saturday. With his recovery progressing at a constant rate since being knocked unconscious in a freak accident at the Hungaroring, the Brazilian is thankfully able to use his left eye, which had been feared to be damaged for life.

Massa was hit in the left-hand side of the helmet by an 800g (1.7lb) steel spring whilst travelling to Turn 4 in the second phase of qualifying, causing semi unconsciousness at speeds of approximately 170mph. More good news from Budapest's AEK hospital on Tuesday report that Felipe continues to recovery.

Rubens Barrichello spoke with his compatriot shortly after Saturday's shock accident
Rubens Barrichello spoke with his compatriot shortly after Saturday's shock accident

"His condition is improving quickly and constantly," said Dino Altman, personal doctor to Massa. "He is more and more awake and reactive. He spoke to several people today, using three different languages, replying always in a coherent way. He's also progressing with his physiotherapy very well. He opened his left eye and confirmed that he can see with it. As far as the near future is concerned we have to be cautious, but I have to say that also today there are very positive signs."

Massa was also greeted by Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali plus predecessor Jean Todt and partner Michelle Yeoh. "It's good to have comforting news," said Domenicali. "I spoke to Felipe and it was very emotional for me; he recognised me and I brought him a message from everybody at Ferrari and from the fans all over the world. I told him that his red car will wait for him until he's ready to race again. Now we've got to take it step-by-step and remain cautious but it's really incredible to see all of this progress only three days after the accident."

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
Crazy.

# of starts: 248
# of wins: 91
# of podiums: 154
# of pole positions: 68

Michael Schumacher is a German Formula One driver and seven-time Formula One world drivers' champion, and current advisor and temporary driver for Ferrari. According to the official Formula One website, he is "statistically the greatest driver the sport has ever seen".[2] He is the only German to win the Formula One World championship,[3] and is credited with popularizing Formula One in Germany.[4]
After winning two championships with Benetton, Michael Schumacher moved to Scuderia Ferrari in 1996 and won five consecutive drivers' titles with them from 2000–2004. Schumacher holds many records in Formula One, including most drivers' championships, race victories, fastest laps, pole positions, points scored and most races won in a single season. Schumacher is the only Formula One driver to have an entire season of podium finishes, a feat he accomplished in 2002. After the 2006 Formula One season Schumacher retired from race driving.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info