Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
[Source: Autoblog]
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/30/rumormill-dodge-challenger-ss-drag-car-package-weeks-away/

Just like in the '60s, some people will take their new 2008 Dodge Challengers to the drags. Chrysler is reportedly ready to make this very easy for new Challenger owners. Allpar is reporting that within a few weeks, there will issue forth from Chrysler a Super Stock special version of the Challenger. The intended application is Stock Eliminator drag racing, and the cars get their own VINs and lots of lightening. Powering drivers down the strip will be versions of the Hemi and 5.9 liter Magnum V8s, twisting through manual or automatic boxes.

Jettisoning things like wipers, HVAC, sound deadening and seats make for a Challenger that's definitely not road-ready, but much lighter for track applications. 800 pounds have reportedly been trimmed out of the car through the omission of equipment and special composite body parts. Mechanicals have been modified to better suit the use, too. The main body unit gets tweaks, and the front crossmember is modified to a drop-out unit. Front brakes are largely unnecessary when the nose is in the air for part of the run, so lightweight units have been fitted. The fascia support and cooling system also get the slim-fast treatment. More information will supposedly arrive soon, but a 1,320-pounding neo-E body pony car appears close at hand.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Pix for clix as they say

challengerss.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
That is sweet. But I think they went a little too far. If it were road ready, but still a "drag pak" like back in the 60's then it would work out better IMO

I fully agree:

I think it looks very sharp, and the idea behind it is very cool, but making it not street-legal removes the vast majority of 'bystandards' who would otherwise be interested in buying it because it will have to be trailered to events, and that limits how much you can enjoy something like that.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm gonna call it here: As much as I like the idea and the Challenger concept, I think the production Challenger will flop after the first run of SRT8s this summer.

Attn Dodge: Please prove me wrong, I want to see this car do well, but it doesn't look good.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I fully agree:

I think it looks very sharp, and the idea behind it is very cool, but making it not street-legal removes the vast majority of 'bystandards' who would otherwise be interested in buying it because it will have to be trailered to events, and that limits how much you can enjoy something like that.

NOWHERE do they say it is not street legal

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The interior spy shots show a bastard-child interior from all the other stuff at Dodge. The Steering wheel is off a Charger. Plus, the only model you can buy in the first year will be the $40,000 SRT8. Also, I bet it's going to weight 4,000 pounds and won't handle that well, and for the price you can get something faster for cheaper.

But for the collector, this will be a nice piece. And people will flock to it for nostaltic reasons. People will have to wait another year to get one, seeing as the first run are pretty much already sold. By the time people can actually buy an R/T, the hype will be gone and the new Mustang and Camaro will be out.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Don't get me wrong, I really like the Challenger. It just needs to weigh less, like 3400-3500 pounds, and be scaled down in size like 15 percent. Gas mileage ratings for the SRT8 are 13 city and 18 highway. Does it matter to the Challenger owner? Probably not, but we'll see what happens.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
NOWHERE do they say it is not street legal

Sorry i didn't notice that there article didn't mention it not being street legal, Motive states it will most likely not be street legal. Then again, lack of wipers or Climate control pretty much knocks it out of daily-driver status anyways.

Motive Mag:

If Dr. Z over at Allpar is to be believed, Dodge will announce an ultra-lightweight Challenger alongside the production model at next week's Chicago Auto Show. According to his site, this will be a special factory package built for NHRA-sanctioned Stock Eliminator drag racing and will be a race-only package that isn't street legal. As a race-only machine, the Challenger sheds nearly 800 pounds by doing away with its windshield wipers, power windows, HVAC System, sound deadener and rear seats.

Other changes include:
• Lightweight front fascia support system (read as: tube frame)
• Composite lift-off hood with functional scoop
• Lightweight cooling module with electric fan
• Special modified drop-out front crossmember
• Lightweight drag race-only front brake assembly (read as: Wilwoods or similar with no environmental sealing on the pistons and sliders)
• Seats to accommodate six-point harness
• Special Body-in-White modified for drag racing

While this sounds like a lot of work for a factory-produced vehicle, it's not unheard of. In the early 1960s, Dodge produced altered-wheelbase cars to improve weight transfer for drag racing.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info