đź“° Auto News Schaumburg Removes Red-Light Cameras

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Red-light cameras in Schaumburg screech to a halt
Critics say Schaumburg was more interested in collecting ticket money than improving safety

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-red-light-camerasjul15,0,7535797.story

When Schaumburg and RedSpeed Illinois announced their intention to install red-light cameras in the village last September, both parties hoped it would be a long-term commitment -- producing safer intersections, with an added bonus of much-needed money.

48074678.jpg

Yet nine months after saying, "I do," Schaumburg has called the whole thing off, citing no improvements in safety and a flood of angry-motorist grief, after red-light cameras at the village's lone picture-snapping intersection netted more than $1 million in tickets.

The dissolution of this once-happy union between a town and its red-light system is not a first for Illinois -- Bolingbrook turned off all its cameras in 2007 -- but it shows the red-hot debate over red-light cameras, even in cities that have already signed on the dotted line. In fact, it is often only after the cameras -- and their copious tickets -- arrive that the revenue-versus-safety arguments begin in earnest.

In Schaumburg, the problems started almost on Day One.

"We felt like, 'Wait, something is wrong here,' " Village Trustee Marge Connelly said before the board voted unanimously Tuesday night to terminate its contract with RedSpeed, Illinois' largest red-light camera company.

"We're not condoning running red lights, but in our case this was not the right way to handle it."

What was "wrong" in Schaumburg's case began with trying to do something right, several trustees said, recalling their unanimous vote last September. "From the outset this was all about safety," said Trustee George Dunham.

"Our board never went into this intending to collect a lot of revenue," said Ken Fritz, the village manager. "We felt that if it really improved public safety, it was good, and if it helped us with revenue, that was good too."

When Schaumburg first signed on to the red-light camera business last year, officials could hardly wait to get started, which is why they chose Meacham and Woodfield Roads as the first of their 10 planned camera locations. That intersection wasn't chosen because it had a lot of accidents -- the spot isn't even in Schaumburg's top 10 -- but because all of the intersection's approaches are in the village's boundaries and are local roads. This let village officials deploy the cameras much faster, avoiding the state approval needed for cameras on state roads.

Almost immediately, that selection paid off, literally, as cameras there flashed as fast as a paparazzi pack, mostly nabbing drivers for making right turns on red without a complete stop. In just 2 ½ months, the cameras spit out about 10,000 tickets, each a $100 violation.

"I was shocked, frankly, that the number of violations were so high for the right on a red light," Connelly said. "A lot of people were just confused about that intersection."

And they were angry: Shoppers snared as they visited nearby Woodfield Mall vowed to take their business elsewhere. (Marc Strich, the mall's general manager, said he kindly directed shoppers to the Village Hall.) Other motorists complained too. In response, village officials told RedSpeed to stop processing right-turn-on-red violations and only forward ones when drivers turned left on red or went straight through the intersection on red.

RedSpeed did just that until May, when the company told police officials "that because it was so labor-intensive to go through all violations compared to the number sent to us for final approval, they did not feel the time spent by their personnel was justified," wrote Chief Brian Howerton in a June memo, recommending that the village terminate its RedSpeed contract.

By the end of that month, RedSpeed was forwarding only left-turn-on-red violations, which totaled just 12 for all of May. Such a small haul hardly justified the camera and ticketing system, which from start to finish cost the village about $400,000 in fees to RedSpeed.

In that same period, "I would guess the village received about $550,000 to $600,000 net revenue," Fritz said.

Schaumburg officials stated Tuesday night that they terminated the RedSpeed contract because crash data, prepared by the Police Department in June, revealed that the intersection does not have a problem with running-red-light accidents nor did it have one in 2008 when the cameras were installed. That fact angers Brian Costin, president of the Schaumburg Freedom Coalition, a citizens group that campaigned against the cameras last September. "I think Mayor [Al] Larson and the board did not do their due diligence," he said.

Schaumburg getting out of the red-light camera business does not mean Illinois cities are no longer interested in signing up for the systems: On Monday, River Forest's board voted to conditionally hire RedSpeed to install two traffic cameras along Harlem Avenue.

But that board also voted 3-2 to endorse a two-tiered fine structure that would give a break to motorists ticketed for making a rolling right turn on red. Trustee Steve Hoke alluded to recent Tribune stories that found the overwhelming majority of camera-generated tickets were for making illegal right turns on red, even though traffic-safety experts say such infractions rarely lead to serious damage or injuries.

RedSpeed sales consultant Michael Lebert told the board he didn't know whether the company would agree to Hoke's plan, noting that RedSpeed operates cameras for nearly 60 Illinois municipalities, all of which charge $100 per ticket, the maximum allowed under the state's red-light camera law.

He also warned that such a fine structure could pose a technological challenge and lead to errors.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
The reason that they chose that particular intersection has something to do with where the revenue went. I think because those streets are owned by Schaumburg (or something to that effect), the village got to keep most of the revenue. That is why they did not put them in the dangerous intersections, because they didn't get as big a cut. The whole thing was all about generating revenue and not improving saftey.

Riski

Suck my balls!
Jun 23, 2009
North Aurora
I just noticed one in East Dundee.

Why is that that when you're in an accident, the person causing the accident usually gets a ticket. Why should the goddamn town get money for someone hitting YOU. They should pay a fine to the person they hit, not the goddamn cops.

because the A Holes that are in city hall for each little township have to line thier pockets with money and go on nice lunches and trups paid for by use wonderful LEGAL tax payers!

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Is it just that one thats removed or all of them in Schaumburg? Or did their plan to put up 10 of them not go through?

Schaumburg only had the one set up. So now they don't have any. :)

The percentage of right on red tickets happens a lot because the camera's snap a pic every second and technically a "legal" stop is tires not moving and speedo at "0" which can take about .5 seconds. You can technically make a legal stop then go right on red and still get a ticket. Many at work got nailed by the one at Euclid and Hicks when they first installed it. They sent out a warning for the first two weeks with a letter explaining that the camera requires you to make a complete stop for 2 or more seconds. The camera has to have two pics of the vehicle not moving in order to not flag a violation. A few folks kept the letter and made copies so if others got stopped, They could go to court and fight the ticket since they had written proof the camera's were not accurate for "right on red" violations from the company operating the camera's.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV

The percentage of right on red tickets happens a lot because the camera's snap a pic every second and technically a "legal" stop is tires not moving and speedo at "0" which can take about .5 seconds. You can technically make a legal stop then go right on red and still get a ticket. Many at work got nailed by the one at Euclid and Hicks when they first installed it. They sent out a warning for the first two weeks with a letter explaining that the camera requires you to make a complete stop for 2 or more seconds. The camera has to have two pics of the vehicle not moving in order to not flag a violation. A few folks kept the letter and made copies so if others got stopped, They could go to court and fight the ticket since they had written proof the camera's were not accurate for "right on red" violations from the company operating the camera's.

Yeah, I got a ticket there for the right on red bullshit. Tried fighting it since I did stop, but they were like you have to stop for 3 seconds for it to be legal. I just decided to pay the fine and avoid that intersection as much as possible. Glad they are taking it down. It's like 2 lights from my house and a pain to avoid.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Yeah, I got a ticket there for the right on red bullshit. Tried fighting it since I did stop, but they were like you have to stop for 3 seconds for it to be legal. I just decided to pay the fine and avoid that intersection as much as possible. Glad they are taking it down. It's like 2 lights from my house and a pain to avoid.

3 seconds?? Per the DMV tires stopped and speedometer at "0" is a complete legal stop. It's in the new "Rules of the Road" book that they give you when you get your license renewed.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I tried looking up the video for a few days, but it would never load. When I called they said I only stopped for like 1.5 seconds and not the required 3. Complete bull.

3 seconds?? Per the DMV tires stopped and speedometer at "0" is a complete legal stop. It's in the new "Rules of the Road" book that they give you when you get your license renewed.

Even if it is that, the article says the camera requires you to stop for 2 or more seconds. Hence the ticket, and me without access to the video, meant no proof. Therefore me = pwned by the state.

epik_x

Addict
Jun 22, 2008
Elgin

Damn thats shitty, I go through the Euclid/Hicks, Kirchoff/Rohlwing and Algonquin/New Wilke intersections pretty often. I know I dont completely stop for 2 seconds everytime....I guess I've been lucky :D

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
Here are some other facts:
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009/apr/08/local/chi-red-light-camera-08-apr08
http://www.motorists.org/photoenforce/home/nma-objections-to-photo-enforcement/

Here is a map of all the red light camera's:
http://www.photoenforced.com/chicago.html

In Illinois, the vehicle’s registered owner gets the ticket, no matter who’s driving.

Fighting A Red Light Camera Ticket website:
I’m a police officer in Illinois and one of my fellow officers received TWO citations for going through two “Red lights” (monitored by redlight cameras) WHILE IN A FUNERAL PROCESSION. His vehicle was properly marked with the appropriate sign and he brought a copy of the paperwork and the LAW with him to contest the ticket. The judge still found him guilty and he had to pay for both tickets. Most of these cameras in the Illinois (especially Chicago area) are set to photograph the drivers once the light turns RED. So even if you crossed the line while the light is YELLOW, you may be getting a ticket if the light turned RED before you made it all the way across. This removes “officer discretion” from the mix. (Also removes “common sense.”) Obviously people cant always make it through before the light turns RED. The police know this. Most officers will NOT write a ticket unless the light turned RED before the driver crossed into the intersection. These ticket reviewers are giving everyone tickets AND there is no “Due Process”… You can NOT fight these tickets. Now they are putting out these speed cameras on the expressway that are supposed to issue citations for 1 MPH over the limit!!! The police dont do that BECAUSE IT’s INSANITY!!! Vehicle speedometers are NOT all 100 % accurate. Plus NO ONE drives the exact same speed ALL THE TIME. It’s impossible. People need to stand together on this issue and write to there congressman/woman to complain. The way that this program is being run has nothing to do with speeding or obeying traffic laws. It’s all about $$$!!! The government needs to step in and set up legitimate guidelines that they MUST follow. Good luck everyone and keep up the fight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info