đź“° Auto News BREAKING: House passes 'cash for clunkers' legislation

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
UPDATE:
BREAKING: House, Senate reach terms on 'Cash for Clunkers' program - but only with $1B in funding
According to The Detroit News, the House and Senate came to terms late last night on a $1 billion 'cash for clunkers' initiative. Part of a larger $106 billion wartime spending bill, the program is not yet law, as the finalized bill must be passed by Congress (it is expected to be voted on next week) and signed into law by President Obama.

Under the terms of the compromise, vouchers worth up to $4,500 would be distributed to those who turn in old vehicles. The program's $1B backing figures to be well short of the $4B it is estimated to cost, meaning that the funding is expected to run out after September 30, the end of the fiscal year. As the theory goes, getting the program approved was the first big step – the DetNews says that key supporters believe that additional funding could be agreed upon subsequently.

As you may recall, the House approved the measure earlier this week, but there were reports of some significant troubles in the Senate where funding and mileage requirements were concerned. In the end, the same mileage figures were reportedly agreed upon, meaning vehicles that return 18 mpg or less in combined city/highway are eligible to turn in their vehicle for a cash voucher. If the new car replacement achieves at least 4 mpg better, a $3,500 voucher would be awarded, and if the new car achieved at least 10 mpg more, the credit would be $4,500. Trucks figure to be a bit different, however, with replacement vehicles needing to net at least 18 mpg, with figures at least 2 mpg better than the soon-to-be-scrapped turn-in. In order to receive the full $4,500 voucher, however, truck buyers' new vehicle would have to improve their fuel economy figures by at least 5 mpg.

88031015-580op.jpg

The U.S. House approved the "cash for clunkers" legislation earlier today, paving the way for consumers to snag up to $4,500 for trading in their older vehicles for new, more fuel efficient transport.

The bill, which passed 298-119, drew overwhelming support from automakers, local business groups and dealers who claimed the passage could boost sales – further aiding GM and Chrysler's "reinvention" – during the economic downturn.

Although politicians and pundits are sure to weigh-in on the merits of the bill, the specifics appear clear: if your car gets 18 mpg or less and you trade in for a new vehicle the achieves at least 22 mpg, you receive a $3,500 voucher, or $4,500 if the mileage of the new vehicle is 10 mpg higher than your previous heap. SUV, pickup truck and minivan buyers are eligible for a $3,500 voucher if their vehicle gets at least two mpg higher than their trade-in and $4,500 if the vehicle gets five mpg more than their older model. The vehicle has to have been insured for the last year and there is no trade-in value beyond the voucher. The program is also available for leases. Dealers are required to provide proof that the vehicle (1984 MY or later) has been crushed or shredded, and the government estimates that around 25 million vehicles are eligible.

[Source: AP | Image Source: Theo Heimann/Getty]

courtesy of our buds at autoblog.

Hmm, i can't find definite numbers for the SVO, though it does fit into the 1984 model year or older.

Last edited:

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
18mpg? My car gets more than that even with the V-8 swap.
I wonder if the 18mpg is city, highway, or average?
Generally it is the Highway mileage they go with.

I just checked http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
and while they only go back to 1985, There isn't many cars that got less than 20 mpg on the highway. Most of the less than 18mpg highway cars are Lambo's, Ferrari's, and other high end performance vehicles. Even the Corvette was rated at 20mpg.
Many trucks like the full size pick-ups and SUV's are below 18mpg so I guess we'll see bone yards filled with crushed trucks.

At least they are limiting it to 1984 and later vehicles. Many feared if older cars were included they would get scrapped out thus reducing the availability of parts to restore some classic cars.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
Don't have the SVO crushed....at least it can be parted out....or pull the motor and put it into a Ranger....

That's really not an option for me. But i think it gets a combined 18mpg with the new 2008 standards. So i might not be able to do it. Unless there is some provision stating that if i have no catalytic converter i'm in like flin.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
Could I drive a car fully stripped with just an engine and still get $3,500 for a trade in??? If so I can part out my maxima, then trade the remains in... make some serious cash!

as long as you have had it insured for one year minimum. I'd like to see greater details in the bill. Like different stipulations and what not.

With my SVO i know its a rare car, but i'm starting my career now. I can't be driving the PT around much longer and i can't afford the SVO as a toy. SO i might as well put it towards a new, more reliable car.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years."
-Alexander Tytler

note: US is not a democracy, but a republic. although acting like a democracy (majority rule) now that the masses vote/accept things like above shit program for example.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years."
-Alexander Tytler

note: US is not a democracy, but a republic. although acting like a democracy (majority rule) now that the masses vote/accept things like above shit program for example.

Can't you just be happy that i'm closer to buying my first new car? You seem bent on not letting the government put their broom stick up your ass. Unclench those cheeks and see if you like it.

Poopshinanigans

Nov 18, 2007
can't you see that you're not buying your first new car? you're buying some of it and i, as a taxpayer, am paying for part of it. can't you see that the problem we have now is entirely related to too much debt - and that all this does is incent people to take on more debt?

But i'm being responsible. I could easily afford the car i want. But i'm going to take advantage of the opportunity that has arisen. So i'm not accruing debt, i'm building credit. I was raised responsibly. Both my parents were CPAs at one time and i don't live beyond my means.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
well that's great, good for you. you're still taking my tax dollars to do it though.

and you're one guy. what about all of the other people that will do this and will take on more debt? you know by and large this is the majority of people in this situation. it sounds like you will be taking on debt but it's debt that you can handle.

consider that they even have working cars which will then be taken to be destroyed. this is the same logic that caused them to plow under crops during the depression while people were starving. the same logic that creates proposals now of bulldozing houses because there is an oversupply.

don't mistake my crticism of this program for saying you shouldn't take advantage of it. if i was in the market for a car and met the criteria i can tell you that i certainly would. i wouldn't welcome or praise the program though, it's idiotic. and these morons in cocngress should have never passed it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info