đź“° Auto News REPORT: RWD Commodore platform could underpin Caddies, G8 GT could make a comeback

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
With Pontiac's death official, Holden stands to lose around $1 billion annually with the demise of the Pontiac G8. However, Holden doesn't plan to go quiet into night. The Aussie automaker has drawn up plans to offer the rear-wheel drive Commodore platform to Cadillac and GMC.

Although GM's CEO, Fritz Henderson, has confirmed that the G8 won't live on, there's a chance it could be used by law enforcement in the States, and with Cadillac's recent attempts to inject more RWD models (save the Epsilon II-based sub-CTS), the Zeta architecture could be used for a new line of Caddies.

More interestingly, with GMC safe – for now – from sharing a grave with Pontiac (not to mention the inevitable liquidation of Hummer, Saab and Saturn), Holden could make a case for importing the stillborn G8 ST 'ute to the U.S. as a fuel-efficient alternative to GMC's otherwise big and thirsty pick-ups. Where there's a niche, GM normally likes to fill it, and while the case for the Zeta-based Cadillacs could be made -- particularly as GM seeks to downsize the platform to aid its survival -- the G8 ST's revival seems far less plausible.

[Autoblog]

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
Fucking Hot... I'd rather have one of these anyways...

Holden Commodore VE SS V Ute

UteSS_V_L_m.jpg

bluzohh6

The system works
Jul 2, 2007
Elgin, IL
I think the holden one looks way better than the pontiac. That grill is so stupid I can't look past it. This isn't the 60's anymore, because you made one classic car, the GTO, with a split grill, doesn't mean you can recreate the magic on every piece of shit you pump out. Lose the grill and they win my vote

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
I think the holden one looks way better than the pontiac. That grill is so stupid I can't look past it. This isn't the 60's anymore, because you made one classic car, the GTO, with a split grill, doesn't mean you can recreate the magic on every piece of shit you pump out. Lose the grill and they win my vote

Ummm.. I case you didn't notice, Pontiac's "split-grill" is on EVERY Pontiac and has been since the 1959 Bonneville. The "split-grill" and "wide-track" stance of Pontiac's all started in 1959. There has not been a Pontiac since that did not have the split grill (except for the early 80's T1000) It has nothing to do with the GTO.

1959_Pontiac_Bonneville_Conv_Fv.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info